• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Pietrek

Hello, I've read already plenty of posts, threads and reviews and finally decided to register.

I'm planning to buy 2x Adam Audio T7V and Topping E30 is already on the way from Aliexpress, do I also need a L30 in preamp mode or just E30 would be enough since I'm not planning to use anuthing other than speakers and earbuds like TZ ZS5 and Tin Hifi T2?

1. PC(coax/optical/usb)/Laptop(USB) -> Topping E30 -> 2RCA -> 2x Adam Audio T7V would be fine? How to control volume in dac mode? From PC or I need a preamp to do that? Is DAC mode vs Preamp with 4th filter where volume control works really that bad or as amatour not audiophile I won't hear any difference?

2. PC(coax/optical/usb)/Laptop(USB) -> Topping E30 -> 2RCA -> Topping L30 ->2RCA -> 2x Adam Audio T7V

or 3rd option, but I can't find a decent passive speakers in EU on the same level of both price and quality to Adam Audio T7V, JBL 306p, Yamaha hs7 i Kali lp6

3. PC(coax/optical/usb)/Laptop(USB) -> Topping E30 -> 2RCA -> Aiyima A007(changing oamps to LME49860NA and caps to 6800uF 63V) -> passive speakers

threni

Major Contributor
Is DAC mode vs Preamp with 4th filter where volume control works really that bad or as amatour not audiophile I won't hear any difference?
I'm not convinced a regular human can detect the difference between DAC mode vs full volume in preamp mode, nor between any of the filters.

vinha916

I have your #2 using Elac speakers and because I have a headset that's why I purchase L30. But if you're going to listen to the speaker then just use #1. I would control volume Dac and full max on PC.

Since I have setup #2 I adjust volume L30 , the rest full MAX.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Adam Audio T7V is a DSP powered active speaker. Why would you want a DAC and then also a preamp to power these? Seems they don’t seem to have any digital inputs, I would just skip the L30. It doesn’t add anything if you don’t have headphones as well. Use the remote for volume control, it works perfectly fine.

I'm not convinced a regular human can detect the difference between DAC mode vs full volume in preamp mode, nor between any of the filters.

Of course they can’t, there is technically no difference in PCM mode. When feeding DSD there is a difference though.. but who cares ;)

Pietrek

The Adam Audio T7V is a DSP powered active speaker. Why would you want a DAC and then also a preamp to power these? Seems they don’t seem to have any digital inputs, I would just skip the L30. It doesn’t add anything if you don’t have headphones as well. Use the remote for volume control, it works perfectly fine.

Is Topping E30 with those speakers useless in terms of improving sound quality compared to cheap sound card built in laptop or ALC1200 from PC and it only adds volume control?

Add a volume controlled DAC (such as a Topping E30) as a preamp (although the Adams have built in volume control) and you can have a complete system with serious HiFi quality

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is Topping E30 with those speakers useless in terms of improving sound quality compared to cheap sound card built in laptop or ALC1200 from PC and it only adds volume control?

Well, that is debatable I guess. Usually PC audio is not very good and quite noisy. Possibly the remote of the E30 will already be the major feature to have. At least noise wise it will be dead silent.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What would really be nice is some auto mode that switches input to the connection that delivers a signal, when the other two are silent.

Should be doable in firmware.

eleven99

Hi there, i just purchased an E30 + L30 stack. I would like to plug my iPhone into the DAC, but have read various statements.

Can I use a normal USB lightning cable from the iphone into a USB A Female to USB B male adaptor into the DAC?

OR

Do I have to use the camera kit (lightning to USB A female) with a normal USB A Male to USB B male into the DAC?

Thanks Travis

semektet

Hi there, i just purchased an E30 + L30 stack. I would like to plug my iPhone into the DAC, but have read various statements.

Can I use a normal USB lightning cable from the iphone into a USB A Female to USB B male adaptor into the DAC?

OR

Do I have to use the camera kit (lightning to USB A female) with a normal USB A Male to USB B male into the DAC?

Thanks Travis

I am doing the second in my setup, as the genuine apple camera kit has the highest quality of transmission. Works fine so far.

jshelbyj

Struggling to run this device with an 12v trigger switched outlet.
  • Auto power mode works as described in the manual.
    • When the device is in standby, a source playing will turn the dac on.
  • When I first power the device on, it STAYS in standby mode whether or not a signal is being fed.
    • If I plug and unplug the signal cable, the device will turn on and start playing music.
@JohnYang1997 this seems like a bug?

knownunknown

Hey i'm getting some audio lags on windows 10 from time to time (they last maybe 3 seconds) and am wondering if this has maybe something to do with the drivers/settings of my e30. Anyone else had this issue before?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Struggling to run this device with an 12v trigger switched outlet.
  • Auto power mode works as described in the manual.
    • When the device is in standby, a source playing will turn the dac on.
  • When I first power the device on, it STAYS in standby mode whether or not a signal is being fed.
    • If I plug and unplug the signal cable, the device will turn on and start playing music.
@JohnYang1997 this seems like a bug?

Make sure the power switches on before the USB port starts sending digital signals.
I power on mine every day and it always works correctly.
When you connect the power of the L30 to the same USB source it should work problem free.
John is not the designer of the E30 and has only been slightly involved with it.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Which choice makes more sense, and why?

1. Use e30 in DAC mode, control volume through Windows.
2. Use e30 in preamp mode, max out Windows volume.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Doesn't matter in terms of fidelity. For convenience i would 1, no need for the remote then.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

When you want to use the remote control (volume etc) you must use pre-amp mode.
It only displays the sample rate shortly and then continuously shows the attenuation.

When you do not use the volume control and the input after the DAC has no issues with 2V input voltage and you want to have maximum SINAD and want the sample rate shown continuously it must be set in DAC mode.

threni

Major Contributor
When you want to use the remote control (volume etc) you must use pre-amp mode.
It only displays the sample rate shortly and then continuously shows the attenuation.

When you do not use the volume control and the input after the DAC has no issues with 2V input voltage and you want to have maximum SINAD and want the sample rate shown continuously it must be set in DAC mode.

Maximum SINAD from the DAC maybe, but isn't there a chance that full volume on the DAC and using windows to adjust the volume might be worse in that regard?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I can't say if windows or Topping attenuators differ (much) it also isn't tested.

Both in DAC and pre mode one could use software attenuation and or an amplifier after the DAC.
In any case distortion and noise is so low that in practical sense one would have to use a lot of attenuation before this becomes audible or have a really crappy software attenuation.

orbolo

Have you guys ever had problems with phone interference? I have had a L30+E30 stack for a few days now and noticed some interference coming through, and never had that problem before with my 2i4

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you guys ever had problems with phone interference? I have had a L30+E30 stack for a few days now and noticed some interference coming through, and never had that problem before with my 2i4

I only have the E30 and no problems so far. If you have another amp or dac you can test which device is picking your phone interference up.

Top Bottom