• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which subwoofers would you like to see tested with CEA-2010 protocol?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
I have compiled a massive 'subwoofer comparison' spreadsheet.

So far, I've found +1600 subwoofer models in total and +300 models with CEA-2010-A data.

But there's a lot of interesting subwoofers that weren't tested.

I'd like to see a discussion thread dedicated to which subwoofer models, we (the community of ASR) would like to see tested.
*cough* @hardisj *cough*.

Thanks.

Last edited:

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
@sweetchaos, I wish you had messaged me before starting this thread. I already have plans to do some tests in the coming months but once summer comes it’ll be too hot to test during the day and testing at night is not feasible. So after I test what I already have planned, I won’t be testing subwoofers for quite a while. Probably the fall. If you guys want to build up some suggestions for then that’s fine. But just know I won’t be accepting anything until then.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I care about popular brands, whether they be internet direct or thru retailers/dealers. When people want recommendations, they want to be able to research and see reviews and opinions, which is very limited for super niche brands.

HSU gives CEA numbers, so if they are generally correct, no need to test them.

PowerSoundAudio has CEA values on his subs (not sure the parameters), though newer models don’t have them yet, but same stance as with HSU.

Rythmik has some tested by Data-Bass, but I’d liked to see some more tested.

SVS has good data.

I think more REL subs need to be measured just to show others that they aren‘t magical. I’ve already mentioned it to Erin, but their HT/1508 sub advertises 3” (150mm) of excursion, even if that is 2-way (75mm/each) and mechanical excursion, that is insane, the 12” Rythmik Erin measured had 18mm. One reason also was someone on another forum comparing REL to Rythmik and using that advertised spec to suggest that the REL would have a much higher max SPL.

The BIC F12 is one of the most popular subs I know, and no one has measured it.

Last edited:

LearningToSmile

One thing I think is missing is data for a lot of studio subwoofers. Some specifics:
  • Dynaudio 9S - cheapest studio subwoofer that seems to get close to 20Hz
  • JBL 310S - affordable and very popular for 2.1 pairing with JBL 30xP monitors
  • other subwoofers in the 310S price range like the Yamaha HS8S
  • Kali Audio WS-12 - PA style subwoofer but reasonable specs on paper for the price
  • Neuman KH750 DSP and others
  • any Genelec "spiral" subwoofers (7350A and so on)
When I was buying a subwoofer for my desktop setup I was really frustrated with the lack of data in the segment.

Outside of that:
  • BK Electronics anything(probably not feasible for any US-based reviewers)
  • Kef Kube 12B
  • and for a completely out-there choice that will never happen: Anthony Gallo TR-3D - good specs on paper, reasonable price, cool unique form factor and just general weirdness that speaks to me

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
The BIC F12 is one of the most popular subs I know, and no one has measured it.

This is already on my radar. I'm planning on doing another "budget subwoofer shootout" like I did with the 10-inch subwoofer shootout shown below. I'll be doing a 12-inch version this time and I plan to use the F12. I'll also be buying the Dayton 12-inch subwoofer along with other, more popular subwoofers. Going to limit it to about 5 for the sake of my sanity and time. I've already tested the $99 Monoprice 12-inch so I will just talk about that in the shootout.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is already on my radar. I'm planning on doing another "budget subwoofer shootout" like I did with the 10-inch subwoofer shootout shown below. I'll be doing a 12-inch version this time and I plan to use the F12. I'll also be buying the Dayton 12-inch subwoofer along with other, more popular subwoofers. Going to limit it to about 5 for the sake of my sanity and time. I've already tested the $99 Monoprice 12-inch so I will just talk about that in the shootout.

Maybe the Infinity R12 if it goes back on sale in time, normally $500 but goes down to $170!

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I'm hoping @Ilkka Rissanen sees this and reuploads his collection of CEA2010 data, which unfortunately has been lost.

Otherwise, I'd like to see the pro subwoofers put through their paces. Neumann, Genelec, ADAM, HEDD and so on.

@hardisj Take your time man.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

MrPeabody

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@sweetchaos, I wish you had messaged me before starting this thread. I already have plans to do some tests in the coming months but once summer comes it’ll be too hot to test during the day and testing at night is not feasible. So after I test what I already have planned, I won’t be testing subwoofers for quite a while. Probably the fall. If you guys want to build up some suggestions for then that’s fine. But just know I won’t be accepting anything until then.

Unfortunately, @sweetchaos lives in British Columbia, so there's not much hope that he'll show up to help you with all the heavy lifting. ;)

Please take care not to injure your back. I know from experience that once it happens it isn't really reversible. Hardly a day will go by that you won't ask yourself what you were thinking when you did it. Also, be careful when climbing (Elac Sub3030) that ladder, said Subliminal Man.

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
I'd like to see more budget (<US$400) subwoofers, as there's a few subwoofers from around US$150 that are recommended, but not much in between, until you get to US$400 (where RSL Speedwoofer 10s wins).

Models that come to mind (none of which have CEA-2010 data):
1. Infinity R12
12" ported, usually on sale for US$170.
2. Monoprice SW-15
15" ported, usually on sale for US$260.
3. BIC F-12
12" ported, usually US$225
4. Klipsch R-12SW
12" ported, usually on sale for US$150 (from costco.com).

RCAguy

Yes, like any audio component, frequency response of a subwoofer is important re tone color (timbre) and reaching low. But missing in many tests is measuring distortion, because most artifacts, harmonics and IM sum products generated post-crossover, propagate up the audio spectrum. Are a linearity challenge for any woofer, and it's cost\price. And are perceived louder in proportion to the fundamental by Fletcher-Munson (even moreso as updated in ISO 226:2003). Audiophiles find “splicing” a subwoofer with main speakers problematic because subwoofer THD & IM artifacts are higher frequencies than the crossover, and thus are localizable. Cf. the whitepaper “Subwoofer Camp” at www.filmaker.com .

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

JBL LSR310S​

Top Bottom