• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Floorstanding Mid-Fi Speaker Recommendation with high WAF

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
Dear All,

I am looking for some advice/recommendations for some new floorstanders for my living room. My poor spouse, bless her, had to live with various iterations of large glossy black boxes in her favourite room for some time, and as we are soon moving into a new home, she has agreed to a new set of speakers, but under two conditions: no speaker stands (so floorstander it is) and they have to be white (the new living room is in an old farm house, so the walls are white-washed). She can't stand fancy, spikey stands as well.

This leaves me in a conundrum, as the majority of floorstanders are brown/black boxes, often with rather ugly veneer/plastic (just look at my SoundArtist SC8Bs). In the price-class that I can afford (£/$1000-2000) that leaves me with:

Fyne Audio F501
Monitor Audio Silver Range
Dali Oberon Range
Wharfedale Evo 4.4
Triangle BR series
B&W 700 series
Canton Vento series

My current pair are Q-Acoustics Concept 40 (which I am rather pleased with, but which have horrible stands and are piano glossy black -> eyesore.

The new living room will be ca 4x4m with typical low farmhouse ceiling.

Audiosciencereview community, step up to the challenge and suggest some great measuring, good looking, affordable. white floorstanders.

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Perhaps Revel F35 or even F36 in gloss white could be a match? Pricing would depend on location I guess, but dealers are known to offer good discounts on Revel in general. I'm very happy with my M16 bookshelves (from the same Concerta2 range) :)

OP
fordiebianco

fordiebianco

Forum Donor

TimW

Major Contributor
The KEF Q series towers (Q550, Q750, Q950) come in white in your budget. They have somewhat spikey stands though. The R5 would probably be better.

Unfortunately the Elac and Focal offerings in this category have fake wood finished sides.

I don't know anything about the other speakers you mention but the Wharfedale looks interesting.

Colonel7

Dear All,

I am looking for some advice/recommendations for some new floorstanders for my living room. My poor spouse, bless her, had to live with various iterations of large glossy black boxes in her favourite room for some time, and as we are soon moving into a new home, she has agreed to a new set of speakers, but under two conditions: no speaker stands (so floorstander it is) and they have to be white (the new living room is in an old farm house, so the walls are white-washed). She can't stand fancy, spikey stands as well.

This leaves me in a conundrum, as the majority of floorstanders are brown/black boxes, often with rather ugly veneer/plastic (just look at my SoundArtist SC8Bs). In the price-class that I can afford (£/$1000-2000) that leaves me with:

Fyne Audio F501
Dali Oberon Range
Wharfedale Evo 4.4
Triangle BR series
B&W 700 series
Canton Vento series

My current pair are Q-Acoustics Concept 40 (which I am rather pleased with, but which have horrible stands and are piano glossy black -> eyesore.

Audiosciencereview community, step up to the challenge and suggest some great measuring, good looking, affordable. white floorstanders.
Elac DFR52 is a little more farmhouse style but not all white. May be worth an audition
1615555720635.png

OP
fordiebianco

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
OP
fordiebianco

fordiebianco

Forum Donor

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
4E069724-0353-4EDA-9138-FF645DB96FE1.jpeg

Reference 3A Grand Veena in Gloss Maple
My wife loved the wood! Bonus is they are terrific sounding full-range speakers. Replace the spikes with knurled knobs from Lowes threaded for 3/8 by 16 tpi and install some threads. No shiny spikes to look at and they will not mar any surface.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fyne Audio F501
Dali Oberon Range
Wharfedale Evo 4.4
Triangle BR series
B&W 700 series
Canton Vento series
If this may help, by objective measured performance, from best to worse:

- Wharfedale Evo 4.4
- Canton Vento
- Your actual speakers...
- Monitor Audio Silver (very close)
- Triangle BR (Very cheap in France so it's hard to even imagine this listed next to much higher end Vento, Evo, Silver or 700s)
- Dali Oberon
- B&W 700s
- Fyne Audio F501

HooStat

I have always thought that Dynaudio designs nice looking speakers -- their cabinet work is usually excellent. I don't know their prices off the top of my head.

OP
fordiebianco

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
I think it's going to be the Wharfedales. They seem to have the best mixture of WAF, price and measurements. Many thanks for all of your input. I will feed back.

Vict0r

A second hand pair of Q Acoustics Concept 500? If those don't rank high on the WAF scale, I don't know what will. Nice upgrade from your current set too! Maybe above your budget, perhaps, even secondhand.

Concept-500-wht.jpg

Monitor Audio Gold 300? Those look pretty WAF-fy to me! :)

MONITOR-AUDIO-GOLD-300-PIANO-GLOSS-BLACK-3-max-783x783.jpg

Attachments

• 20170428104706_q-acoustic-concept-500-foto-7.jpg
    20170428104706_q-acoustic-concept-500-foto-7.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 147

nerdstrike

Monitor Audio Gold 300? Those look pretty WAF-fy to me!
Deary me no. The proportions are not ... right. That black top is screaming for an ornament or pot-plant! The most important thing to remember about WAF is that you never quite know what will fly.

Chinquapin

Dear All,

Fyne Audio F501
Dali Oberon Range
Wharfedale Evo 4.4
Triangle BR series
B&W 700 series
Canton Vento series

Check Carolinaaudio.com and look at Ronnie’s floor standers. Can have custom finish if desired.

Chinquapin

Dear All,

Fyne Audio F501
Dali Oberon Range
Wharfedale Evo 4.4
Triangle BR series
B&W 700 series
Canton Vento series

Chinquapin

Carolina Audio JTM2. Electrostatic speed with pinpoint imaging. Easy load for any amp. 88dB efficiency. Pick your color!

Top Bottom