• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need help choosing the right setup

the0bs3rv3r

Hi,
I'd like to improve my listening and communication experience.

Current setup consists of Audio-Technica AT2020USB+ mic and Sennheiser HD 660 S (which replaced my old Audio-Technica ATH-W1000 headphones I'm tired listening to after many years). These are connected to a computer, and I always listen to music at fairly low volume.

I'd like to get a better mic and a DAC. After doing some research I've come up with this: Shure SM7B mic and:
  1. Cloudlifter CL-1 + RME Babyface Pro FS and call it a day.
  2. Solid State Logic SSL2, which I'll use as both a mic preamp and a DAC until I save enough to add RME ADI-2 DAC FS.
Schiit and topping options are almost twice overpriced and hard to buy at my current location, as well as JDS, so I ruled them out.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What location?
Why are you getting an Audio Interface?
Are you into Audio production (editing, mixing, creating, etc)?
Do you have access to Xduoo products?

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Here's a few relevant videos from a great youtube channel. I recommend scanning the channel for some other interface options as he does indepth reviews of many with measurements.

OP
T

the0bs3rv3r

What location?
Why are you getting an Audio Interface?
Are you into Audio production (editing, mixing, creating, etc)?
Do you have access to Xduoo products?

I'm getting an audio interface to use a proper mic with a computer/iPad mainly for comms and voice recording.
Xduoo - no, no official distributors.

OP
T

the0bs3rv3r

Here's a few relevant videos from a great youtube channel. I recommend scanning the channel for some other interface options as he does indepth reviews of many with measurements.

Thanks, I've watched almost all Krause's recent and relevant videos prior to creating the post.

I want something robust, with good support and of descent quality not exceeding $2K budget.

Adahn

First off, you don't need a cloudlifter if you get a babyface. It'll likely do more harm than good.

Secondly, if you want an interface to pair with the adi-2, you should probably be looking at something with a digital out at least. SSL2 has only analog outs.

OP
T

the0bs3rv3r

First off, you don't need a cloudlifter if you get a babyface. It'll likely do more harm than good.

Secondly, if you want an interface to pair with the adi-2, you should probably be looking at something with a digital out at least. SSL2 has only analog outs.

Thanks for the info, good to know!
Would just babyface be enough as a DAC for music?

Top Bottom