• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Motu M2 crackling clicking popping during playback on max buffer size

memopro

Hello!

I have Motu M2.
I'm Windows user.

I have the following problem:
The problem is that it cracks, pops up, clicks every 10 seconds while listening to music (watching a movie) through the browser (YouTube, Soundcloud), Winamp, Audacity, while it is set to example 44.1khz 1024 samples (max. Buffer size) and Windows Sound Control Panel is set to 24bit 44.1khz.

Briefly, when the Windows Sound Control Panel and the Asio driver of the Motu M2 are tuned to the same sampling rate and
at the same time the Asio driver of the Motu M2 is set to maximum buffer size makes it.

Another buffer size (512, 256 and others) does not create a problem.

At my DAW (Ableton Live) does not have this problem (Apparently because then the signal does not pass through the Windows Sound Control Panel).

Is there another with such a problem?
Thanks.
Regards.

I made a Video

Tks

Major Contributor
Ive noticed this issue on Android as well (nothing to do with your M2, but just generally large buffer sizes sometimes causing instability). Also occurs only wheb going through the default Android audio stack. These companies seem to drop the ball on support for anything but bog standard settings (48kHz 16 bit and low buffer). Wouldn't blame MOTU here tho, its just age old audio default drivers running on OS's that tell you to get ASIO drivers from the manufacturer or fuck off.

Adarsh AS

I have this same issue. I've contacted motu support but no positive response was there. Have you found any solutions,if so please let me know.

hyperplanar

Hello!

I have Motu M2.
I'm Windows user.

I have the following problem:
The problem is that it cracks, pops up, clicks every 10 seconds while listening to music (watching a movie) through the browser (YouTube, Soundcloud), Winamp, Audacity, while it is set to example 44.1khz 1024 samples (max. Buffer size) and Windows Sound Control Panel is set to 24bit 44.1khz.

Briefly, when the Windows Sound Control Panel and the Asio driver of the Motu M2 are tuned to the same sampling rate and
at the same time the Asio driver of the Motu M2 is set to maximum buffer size makes it.

Another buffer size (512, 256 and others) does not create a problem.

At my DAW (Ableton Live) does not have this problem (Apparently because then the signal does not pass through the Windows Sound Control Panel).

Is there another with such a problem?
Thanks.
Regards.

I made a Video

Sorry I can't answer your question, but is there a particular reason why you want the buffer size to be 1024 if the other sizes don't crackle?

OP
memopro

memopro

I have this same issue. I've contacted motu support but no positive response was there. Have you found any solutions,if so please let me know.
Hello! I contacted the technical support of MOTU. In conclusion, I can say that they are not familiar with the problem, but I contacted several owners of the M series who confirmed the same problem . In my opinion, the problem is the driver and that's it. It's just that the card cannot be used on Windows Audio at maximum buffer size.

OP
memopro

memopro

Sorry I can't answer your question, but is there a particular reason why you want the buffer size to be 1024 if the other sizes don't crackle?
Hello! When I work on a project that is coming to an end it usually goes over 50 channels and this makes my CPU load a lot and I have to increase the buffer size to the maximum to reduce the CPU load.

hyperplanar

Hello! When I work on a project that is coming to an end it usually goes over 50 channels and this makes my CPU load a lot and I have to increase the buffer size to the maximum to reduce the CPU load.
But you said it’s fine when using ASIO in Ableton, right?

Adahn

MOTU's driver performance/stability in windows is a running joke in the pro audio community. If that's your only issue, consider yourself lucky.

Tks

Major Contributor
MOTU's driver performance/stability in windows is a running joke in the pro audio community. If that's your only issue, consider yourself lucky.

Just wondering, everyone keeps mentioning "driver stability" in these "pro audio" discussions. The RME forums also have people talking about something like this.

What does it mean for a driver to be stable? If it loses stability, what does that actually mean? It crashes and the interface loses digital connectivity with the hardware it's attached to now that the driver has "lost it", or whatever?

Or does it simply mean a driver that functions as the options it's providing are intended? So if I set an ASIO driver to output 48kHz, and it does so, does that mean the driver is "stable" with that respect?

Adahn

It means audio artifacts mostly. Crackles and pops. In more extreme cases complete dropouts.

A stable driver is able to keep up with the cpu and doesn't get in the way basically. A mediocre driver will crumble when system load rises. A poor driver will start crackling randomly even with low system load.

Tks

Major Contributor
Seems like a scheduling issue, should be trivial to fix in the modern day with consultants on the matter. Though any modern system should be pure overkill in terms of system processing something like audio - should never really crackle outside of instances of poor motherboard UEFI or BIOS interfacing with USB subsystems.

Also, Windows (the piece of shit it has become) doesn't make things easy for anyone with their constant updates that keep breaking everything in the past few years.

paolomo

Forum Donor
I had the same problem, crackles and pops. They started after a week of use and got worse very quickly. By the way, I used it on a mac, so everything should have been smoother there, as the M2 is class compliant. I tried everything, resetting the device, reinstalling my DAW, my whole os, but the problem only got worse.

In my case, I didn’t notice any correlation with buffer sizes. It was probably a defective unit, but I read several stories of crackles in the M2. I returned it at week #2, no questions asked.

DavidV

I had the same problem, crackles and pops. They started after a week of use and got worse very quickly. By the way, I used it on a mac, so everything should have been smoother there, as the M2 is class compliant. I tried everything, resetting the device, reinstalling my DAW, my whole os, but the problem only got worse.

In my case, I didn’t notice any correlation with buffer sizes. It was probably a defective unit, but I read several stories of crackles in the M2. I returned it at week #2, no questions asked.

I have the same issue with different unit (16A). Almost every 5 mins I need to change the buffer size. When replacing with simple Arturia Audiofuse, problem is solved, no crackling at all. I am quite angry.

jonljacobi

I have the same problem recently with a UA Twin X in Windows when using a browser. Not consistently, only occasionally, and generally changing the buffer size makes it go away. That said, I’ve also had to reboot to get the UA audio back. No issues in macOS.

Top Bottom