• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A huge topic of debate? EXPENSIVE SPEAKER STANDS!

wrigglycheese

Well... Here we go.

So I have been drawn into the audio thing again this time with a BUDGET amp and speaker setup - we won't go into detail there - SMSL SA300 and QA Concept 20 speakers (MINUS STANDS)

Soooooooo yeah, myth or measured difference ? The particular recommended stands for the QA Concept 20 are indeend the same price as the speakers, and near literally.

Somebody save me - I jest, DO NOT tell me what I want to hear, tell me what you really think. Should I buy decent speaker stands or should I spend a fortune on the 'recommended official' stands.

I am very interested to read replies.

MANY TAHNKS!

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Important thing is that they are STABLE, some prefer stands that are able to take sand or lead fillings to get them heavier and I think a good stand needs to have cable management for a clean look.

Unless you have a flat area that protrudes due to small speakers (reflections/refractions), I don't think they are relevant in terms of sonic characteristics.

OP
wrigglycheese

wrigglycheese

I don't think they are relevant in terms of sonic characteristics.

Great tip thank you. Stable and with some good pads underneath the speaker (feet)? Like rubber or foam pads? Resonance exists right so SOME truth to decoupling? In fact is decoupling the most underrated aspect?

Oh and from what you're saying I should make sure the flat area of the stand the speaker sits on IS NOT BIGGER than the speaker?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anything that get's the speaker to the correct place in the room and does not topple over is at least 80% of the way there. Looking nice is the last bit. I do think construction, materials, stiffness, adsorption, spikes etc make a small difference, but not in a predictable way, different room and floors will respond differently, and I've not seen a good model for what works best when.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've never waded into the anchored vs. isolated debate. My supposition has always been they might address different vibration problems. And the anchors are nasty on your floors and rugs.

But Andy Singer told me the Tontrager stands (overpriced) make the Harbeths sound exactly 20% better. So I got that going for me. Which is nice. Gunga-la-gunga.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great tip thank you. Stable and with some good pads underneath the speaker (feet)? Like rubber or foam pads? Resonance exists right so SOME truth to decoupling? In fact is decoupling the most underrated aspect?

Oh and from what you're saying I should make sure the flat area of the stand the speaker sits on IS NOT BIGGER than the speaker?

For best stability, look for the metal stands that you can fill with playbox sand. Mine are as solid as a rock. Literally, they feel like giant rocks when you try to move them. lol

Monoprice makes some less expensive clones of the popular Pangea stands which you can fill with sand.

I put stick on furniture feet pads underneath mine.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The base looks small, easy to knock over, a lot of these sorts of stands are like that. If you have little people, or pets it might be risk.

OP
wrigglycheese

wrigglycheese

The base looks small, easy to knock over, a lot of these sorts of stands are like that. If you have little people, or pets it might be risk.

Thank you mate I have no anything except me ;D And a strong desire to save £140..... After I just managed to raise enough for the concept 20 and an amp LOL

Actually the only thing that I am mostly concerned with is the audio quality and that they're not TOO big as I am space limited - so smaller base is actually a positive for me.

I REALLY wish I could demo them next to these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acoustics-...ncept+20+speaker+stands&qid=1616522306&sr=8-2

Last edited:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you mate I have no anything except me ;D And a strong desire to save £140..... After I just managed to raise enough for the concept 20 and an amp LOL
The official stands look like a liability to me as well, I've had 3 point stands and they kind of want to fall over if knocked.

Aerith Gainsborough

That's what I read when researching stands: one of the main arguments to NOT put bookshelf speakers on-/into a bookshelf or on a table was that there may be detrimental reflections from the surface they are being placed on. So I reckon that would be true for stands with too large a surface as well.

Whether to couple or decouple from the ground, shouldn't a well designed speaker cabinet not vibrate much in the first place? Seems kinda moot to me. I prefer flat feet, because under my rug I have parquet floor I prefer not to damage with metal spikes. Not an expert though. I just bought 49€ Thomann Stands, not the most sophisticated solution but it works well and is sturdy enough for my home (no kids or pets, just me as a klutz roaming around :D )

dkinric

Correct. Stand top should be no bigger than speaker size. For connecting speaker to stand top, use blutack - works great for resonance control and sticking speaker to stand. with no damage:
https://www.amazon.com/Blu-Tack-S05...ocphy=9008463&hvtargid=pla-321151331657&psc=1

OP
wrigglycheese

wrigglycheese

That's what I read when researching stands: one of the main arguments to NOT put bookshelf speakers on-/into a bookshelf or on a table was that there may be detrimental reflections from the surface they are being placed on. So I reckon that would be true for stands with too large a surface as well.

Whether to couple or decouple from the ground, shouldn't a well designed speaker cabinet not vibrate much in the first place? Seems kinda moot to me. I prefer flat feet, because under my rug I have parquet floor I prefer not to damage with metal spikes. Not an expert though. I just bought 49€ Thomann Stands, not the most sophisticated solution but it works well and is sturdy enough for my home (no kids or pets, just me as a klutz roaming around :D )

Man those actually looks ideal lol great price too! Closest I can find on Amazon UK is these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Duronic-SP...&sprefix=Millenium+speak,aps,152&sr=8-20&th=1

Midwest Blade

Most important to get the right height to ensure the speaker is in a complementary location for your listening spot.
I have bought really expensive stands for a pair of loudspeakers years ago and took a bath when I traded them. There are many really good stands for very decent price and style.

Aerith Gainsborough

Most important to get the right height to ensure the speaker is in a complementary location for your listening spot.
Aye!

That's why I chose mine, they are high enough to work for my computer seat.
For the couch, these would be too tall.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Q Acoustics have a speaker model which oscillates around on top of its stand which I regard more as a gimmick to be honest - looks hideous to me as well...

I also baulk at a certain German sourced stand range (often promoted with Harbeths which have themselves had massive price rises in recent times) which sell for around a grand (pounds and Euro's) for some bits of black painted wood sitting on a base with levelling done via veneer slivers. The story told is incredible and all the peeps who buy into them are total believers..

So, what does a speaker stand need to do? As long as it doesn't add ringing of its own and to my knowledge, act as a baffle extension as some sturdy solid types can do. usually, you need to get the tweeter roughly at ear level so this will determine the stand height. I agree regarding comments that some stands may be too 'tottery' for certain speakers.

Just googled 20" speaker stands and found these, which may, if tall enough, be ok for the deep profile of Q Acoustics models -

https://www.vidaxl.co.uk/e/87184758...tMapnJawIMoED_BZ3crr0heCzhYXrhJIaApVNEALw_wcB

B-tech do some too for not much dosh.

I was always a 'Something Solid' fan, but not sure if Mark is still making stands or retired now - I used to sell and very enthusiastically recommend loads of this SS model's predecessor which wasn't quite as attractive - first model down on the page.

https://www.decoaudio.com/deco_audio_speaker_stands.html

Mark used to be able to do custom sizes so whether he could do something for the Concept 20 at sensible price I'm not sure. I do remember putting a pair of old Mission 770's we'd traded in for peanuts on a pair of these and one speaker promptly fell off as it was too heavy and too tall. Smaller boxes were never ever an issue though...

Edit - Just seen the op's post above. Hope the top plate isn't too small for these deep boxes and also the height when seated not too tall...

OP
wrigglycheese

wrigglycheese

Q Acoustics have a speaker model which oscillates around on top of its stand which I regard more as a gimmick to be honest - looks hideous to me as well...

I also baulk at a certain German sourced stand range (often promoted with Harbeths which have themselves had massive price rises in recent times) which sell for around a grand (pounds and Euro's) for some bits of black painted wood sitting on a base with levelling done via veneer slivers. The story told is incredible and all the peeps who buy into them are total believers..

So, what does a speaker stand need to do? As long as it doesn't add ringing of its own and to my knowledge, act as a baffle extension as some sturdy solid types can do. usually, you need to get the tweeter roughly at ear level so this will determine the stand height. I agree regarding comments that some stands may be too 'tottery' for certain speakers.

Just googled 20" speaker stands and found these, which may, if tall enough, be ok for the deep profile of Q Acoustics models -

https://www.vidaxl.co.uk/e/87184758...tMapnJawIMoED_BZ3crr0heCzhYXrhJIaApVNEALw_wcB

B-tech do some too for not much dosh.

I was always a 'Something Solid' fan, but not sure if Mark is still making stands or retired now - I used to sell and very enthusiastically recommend loads of this SS model's predecessor which wasn't quite as attractive - first model down on the page.

https://www.decoaudio.com/deco_audio_speaker_stands.html

Mark used to be able to do custom sizes so whether he could do something for the Concept 20 at sensible price I'm not sure. I do remember putting a pair of old Mission 770's we'd traded in for peanuts on a pair of these and one speaker promptly fell off as it was too heavy and too tall. Smaller boxes were never ever an issue though...

Edit - Just seen the op's post above. Hope the top plate isn't too small for these deep boxes and also the height when seated not too tall...

Thanks very much for a great reply and yeah I hope the top plates are just enough. I was struggling so much to find something suitable without the big price tag, was aesthetically PASSABLE, did the job, and had cable management - well, wasn't easy. FINGERS CROSSED!??

And I have measured the height which is not far off - worst case, I can return these but they will get me up and running.

Basically 60-65cm was about bang on for my chair position

Top Bottom