• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pre Amp Needed?

ohnonate

Hi, just wanting to get some advice as i am kind of new to this.

I was wanting to know if a Pre amp is needed if intend to connect a Denafrips Aeries II Dac to ELAC NAVIS ARB51 Speakers?

So i currently have a Bluesound Node 2i Connected via RCA into a pair of ELAC NAVIS ARB 51 Active Bookshelf Speakers.

I was wanting to know would i need a Pre Amp to go in between the Denafrips Aeres II and the ELAC Navis.

I have been told this is to get the signal across from The DAC to speakers ? as thsi is only a DAC has no functions ie volume control.

Bluesound Node 2i -> Denafrips Ares II ->Pre Amp ELAC NAVIS ARB51

Please assist

Thank You

Nate

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, you will need to use a pre-amp with them or you will have no control over volume levels.

OP
O

ohnonate

Hi Martin, thanks for the feedback. What confuses me is that i am able to change the volume from Bluesound Node2i App. Is this ok?

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know anything about the Bluesound, Does it have a DAC in it?

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So you are bypassing that into the external DAC - I would use a pre-amp, a passive potentiometer would do, not expensive.

OP
O

ohnonate

So i was able to get my hand on a Denafrips Ares 2 and i am not sure what is going on?

This is my problem.

1. The speakers do not come out of standby mode when i select a song in Spotify. i need to increase the volume a few times for it to turn on? Is this an impedance issue when the Denafrips isn't sending a signal strong enough to the speakers?

2. Also the sound doesn't really sound like its doing much for a $1,200 AUD DAC Compared to the BlUesound Node built in DAC?

So my question is now would a pre amp boost the signal and sent a stronger signal to the ELACS and wake them up on stand by ?

Any suggestion would be great as this is confusing me.

Attachments

• setup.jpg
    setup.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 146
Top Bottom