• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M33 Streaming Amplifier Review

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
The remote is always instantly on - it doesn't need to be activated and the app loaded before you can adjust the volume. Also because you use it for nothing else, you don't have to interrupt any other use - unlike your phone.

Would you like your TV to comr with no remote controls? It's so useful but such a pity that the M33 takes little advantage of it's features - unlike the M12 and M32 that use the identical remote.

Thanks!

For me, I wish that all our remotes could be app-based, but was looking for arguments the other way.

Thalassophile

iPhones and laptops do not have IR capability, so you cannot turn the M33 on or off, but you can do everything else. When I'm not sitting at my computer, and just putzing around the apartment, I usually use an iPod touch as the remote and as the music source. That limits things to 16 bit, but I'm fine with that, and being able to use such a light device for everything is nice. It also solves the problem of being interrupted. So far I have kept the remote in the box, which was part of the plan. Not having to rely on one for the M33 was a BIG draw. I just shut it down manually every night before going to bed.

pogo

Major Contributor
I'll be interviewing some tech folks from NAD shortly as a follow-up to living with the M33 for a few months and doing a pile of measurements. Anything you guys would like me to ask?

My questions:
Are there already SBs (service bulletins) for the M33? Where can these also be viewed in the future?
With the current firmware update not all issues have been resolved. What issues are generally known and when will they be corrected?
What is the wider MDC slot for?
Will there be another bridged Purifi power amplifier that can be used in conjunction with the internally bridged power amplifier?

Was the supply chain of the M33 affected during production (due to corona, among other things)? Are there any differences in the batches?
If so, were components from different manufacturers, different specified temperature ranges (I-TEMP / C-TEMP), from other sources (distributors), ... used?

Are the DAC settings final or will there be an update regarding the filters, THD compensation, etc. in the future?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Are the DAC settings final or will there be an update regarding the filters, THD compensation, etc. in the future?

I confess that I don't understand the question.

pogo

Major Contributor
I confess that I don't understand the question.
If you look into the datasheet of the DAC ES9028, there are many ways to influence the sound reproduction. Perhaps there are other programmable function blocks within the M33 that can influence the sound reproduction.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
If you look into the datasheet of the DAC ES9028, there are many ways to influence the sound reproduction. Perhaps there are other programmable function blocks within the M33 that can influence the sound reproduction.

Dirac, EQ, tone controls, delay, and crossovers aren't enough? What specific function do you feel is missing?

pogo

Major Contributor
Dirac, EQ, tone controls, delay, and crossovers aren't enough? What specific function do you feel is missing?
I don't miss anything. I am concerned here with the programmable basic settings of the NAD design (to which the end user has no access), since some users report audible distortions.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I don't miss anything. I am concerned here with the programmable basic settings of the NAD design (to which the end user has no access), since some users report audible distortions.

I am absolutely baffled by what you're trying to say.

Soundlogic

Speaking for myself: I am missing the ability to reverse absolute phase/polarity...like many higher end pre-amps and some DACs allow, via remote. SIY, if you can ask about this during your discussions with the NAD engineers, I would much appreciate it!

pogo

Major Contributor
I am absolutely baffled by what you're trying to say.

Here an example of the DAC GUI taken from the datasheet of the DAC ES9028:
1616408934095.png

KjetilA

I've checked my M33 again today and like you I don't use subs but selecting one or 2 subs and setting XO at 80 Hz I get no distortion from those tracks. So perhaps it's a batch that has a fault. If so, unlikely to be resolved by firmware.

However on the Ellen Krauss track (and others including the Norah Jones Come Away with me album) I think I detect a little sibilance, although maybe it's always been there and my new Avantgarde Duo XD speakers make it a little more noticeable. Peter

PS If you could describe the distortion and highlight a particular timing on the Ellen Krauss track where it's noticcable, I'll check once again

Is your tone control active? The distortion disappear when tone control = on (for some reason).

Last edited:

pogo

Major Contributor
Is your tone control active? The distortion disappear when tone control = on (for some reason).
Could it be that the output signal becomes quieter with Tone Control = on? This could indicate that the internal gain settings were not set properly by design. The end user has no influence on this, as I have already described before.

pogo

Major Contributor
No.

I think that for what you want, an eval board would be more suitable.

Don't get me wrong. I am not looking for an amplifier. I am interested in a root cause to this problem.
My guess:
Tone Control = on -> no distortion, but a bit quieter in the playback
Tone Control = off -> with distortion, but a bit louder in playback

If my guess is confirmed by KjetilA, this indicates for an overdriven audio signal internally for the next stage (internal gain settings were not set properly by NAD designers in the M33). The end user has no influence on this, as I have already described before.

pdxaudio

Don't get me wrong. I am not looking for an amplifier. I am interested in a root cause to this problem.
My guess:
Tone Control = on -> no distortion, but a bit quieter in the playback
Tone Control = off -> with distortion, but a bit louder in playback

If my guess is confirmed by KjetilA, this indicates for an overdriven audio signal internally for the next stage (internal gain settings were not set properly by NAD designers in the M33). The end user has no influence on this, as I have already described before.
Yes, the output signal is a bit quieter with Tone Controls on, about 6-7 dB, and there’s no distortion on my M33 as well with tone controls on.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, the output signal is a bit quieter with Tone Controls on, about 6-7 dB, and there’s no distortion on my M33 as well with tone controls on.
You would expect that wouldn't you?
If the average level isn't lowered there would be no "headroom" for the tone controls to have boost.
It does sound rather as if there are intersample overs being created by the high pass filter when the sub is selected. Presumably only a problem with compressed/"loudness wars" recordings though, which are pretty awful anyway IMO - GDR.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
You would expect that wouldn't you?
If the average level isn't lowered there would be no "headroom" for the tone controls to have boost.
It does sound rather as if there are intersample overs being created by the high pass filter when the sub is selected. Presumably only a problem with compressed/"loudness wars" recordings though, which are pretty awful anyway IMO - GDR.
Or something is broken in those specific units. The one I had showed none of these issues, so it’s not a design flaw. And Kal’s review likewise didn’t mention any problems like this.

If a unit is broken, use the warranty.

Krass

Forum Donor
I'll be interviewing some tech folks from NAD shortly as a follow-up to living with the M33 for a few months and doing a pile of measurements. Anything you guys would like me to ask?

I d'like to know any details or time frames regarding DIRAC Bass Control.

Top Bottom