• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

E1DA 9038D Review (portable DAC & Amp)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
To update the firmware, you will need a PC running Win7 or Win10.
Here's the update procedure:

CT7601 2018 driver: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1uGMGM_9aC4LG_ggWSxGxQTriKDud2EgU

CT7601 2020 driver:
http://comtrue-inc.com/index.php/downloads2/summary/4-ct7601/12-windows-7-10-driver
(the 2020 driver has been causing issues for some users. 2018 works fine though)

Firmware Update Tool with firmware files:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q_2D_6x0CSiB-wDffqTxGvr8Do1johkH/view?usp=sharing

To use the App, update the firmware to 'Tweak_9038D_C.hex"

Cheers - I managed this once , so what could go wrong ? :facepalm:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
To update the firmware, you will need a PC running Win7 or Win10.
Here's the update procedure:

CT7601 2018 driver: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1uGMGM_9aC4LG_ggWSxGxQTriKDud2EgU

CT7601 2020 driver:
http://comtrue-inc.com/index.php/downloads2/summary/4-ct7601/12-windows-7-10-driver
(the 2020 driver has been causing issues for some users. 2018 works fine though)

Firmware Update Tool with firmware files:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q_2D_6x0CSiB-wDffqTxGvr8Do1johkH/view?usp=sharing

To use the App, update the firmware to 'Tweak_9038D_C.hex"

All sorted. Thanks!

Last edited:

respice finem

Major Contributor
Crazy performance for its size/price.
A loose thought: Looking at its inside, it would be no big problem to build a device like this into a phone, but nobody does it, although all manufacturers are struggling to differentiate themselves from the rest. Audio seemingly has been "pushed aside" by smartphone camera "wars", while for wired headphones/IEMs second rate sound from phones is the rule... On the other hand, a dongle so small is a fine solution, as long as it will work properly with the customer's phone.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Crazy performance for its size/price.
A loose thought: Looking at its inside, it would be no big problem to build a device like this into a phone, but nobody does it, although all manufacturers are struggling to differentiate themselves from the rest. Audio seemingly has been "pushed aside" by smartphone camera "wars", while for wired headphones/IEMs second rate sound from phones is the rule... On the other hand, a dongle so small is a fine solution, as long as it will work properly with the customer's phone.

LG did it with their quad dac range. Its not a priority for consumers generally. Apple phones with 3.5mm and some Samsungs and others are/were great.

The real issue for me is these devices crapping all over the DAPs

respice finem

Major Contributor
...The real issue for me is these devices crapping all over the DAPs
This. The LG is not their current line, or was I asleep when I last looked? ;) I'm slowly forced to replace my good (save for the subpar sound) old Huawei P9, but the way things are I tend to get "anything" plus one of these "wonder dongles".

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This. The LG is not their current line, or was I asleep when I last looked? ;) I'm slowly forced to replace my good (save for the subpar sound) old Huawei P9, but the way things are I tend to get "anything" plus one of these "wonder dongles".

Think this is the latest I think (I get lost) but has quad dac. https://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/v60-thinq-dual-screen

Personally I would (and have) get the phone I want for its camera and other features and a dongle for audio. The Meizu Hifi Pro really is little more than a 2 inch extension to your headphone cable and is brilliant. These bigger dongles are a faff for walking/ travelling due to having something quite big hanging out of your pocket. For IEM listening in bed , for example, these bigger dongles are perfect and thats how I use them.

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
So, what headphones would you use for this on an Iphone on the go? Trying to improve my (soon to be reinstated) regular commuter flights.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So, what headphones would you use for this on an Iphone on the go? Trying to improve my (soon to be reinstated) regular commuter flights.
If you want full size over ear headphones for flights , I wouldn't use any passive set and this I'd get some Bose or sony noise cancelling.

If you want IEM that basically seal off your ear canal and will work well with something like this, look at the etymotic range. Maybe the er2se.

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
If you want full size over ear headphones for flights , I wouldn't use any passive set and this I'd get some Bose or sony noise cancelling.

If you want IEM that basically seal off your ear canal and will work well with something like this, look at the etymotic range. Maybe the er2se.

I have a pair of Sony WH-1000XM3 that work well, but I will have a look at the Etymotics. Thank you for the recommendation.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I have a pair of Sony WH-1000XM3 that work well, but I will have a look at the Etymotics. Thank you for the recommendation.
From what I know, the ER2/3/4 have the best noise isolation of any IEM that isn't custom-made, maybe even of any IEM period.
That comes at the cost of a rather unique fit though. They use very slim and long triple flange eartips that need to be inserted quite deeply into your ear canal.
Definitely order them from a place where you can return them easily, if you can't "stomach" the fit.
I use the 4XR as my main IEM btw

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Put two in a box in balanced mode with line out please.

staticV3

Master Contributor

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Amir, as I see your setup has too high common-mode noise or AP analyzer has a problem with its CMRR. I took a look at the result here https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hidizs-s9-review-headphone-adapter.21152/
The balanced is a lot less noisy vs unbalanced, that's why my balanced 9038S looks so clean vs unbalanced 9038D. You can check that by shorting one of 9038D outputs(of course better if no signal on that channel), I bet you'll find the same dirt on the shorted output as well as on the working one. To avoid that noise you can try to use Android phone in airplane mode and battery-powered with a free Hiby hires player.

I presume using another app that directly accesses external USB DACs such as Neutron Player or UAPP would do the same. Unless there's something particular about HiBy?

Looks like there's the same issue with the Qudelix 5K measurements, the unbalanced of which showing the same noise spectrum, and the comparison with the balanced measurements showing the latter with ~5dB lower THD+N, a difference that may disappear when outputting from a smartphone on battery power running one of those apps, increasing the reported unbalanced SINAD by around 5dB.

Last edited:

DeepSpace57

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
DeepSpace57,
because so-called common-mode noise was measured instead of 9038D or Meizu HiFi DAC(550nVrms(A)!!) noise. It is the setup problem(IMO 95% of probability, just banal GND loop, not optimal grounding) or even APx555 malfunction as a theoretical assumption. A correct instrumental test will show DR 125db(A) of 9038D and DR 130db(A) of Meizu HiFi DAC.
Balanced outputs measurement has a natural immunity to the common-mode noise, that's why balanced DACs look cleaner.

respice finem

Major Contributor
BTW: Somehow I can't understand the purpose of balanced headphones, given the limited cable length.

Top Bottom