• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Steve Guttenberg - Audiophiliac

Status
Not open for further replies.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Now only if he would acknowledge that 'audiophile' cables are BS, most of the sound quality differences in electronic components are BS.......

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Yeah he misses the target, but he almost has a good rule of thumb with the recommendation to buy what costs what you spend on a bottle of wine.

I use silver plated interconnect wires for nostalgia and superior corrosion resistance, and a 12 gauge extension cord for my speakers to get extra durability with rugrats.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
steve mentions ASR

Let me guess: he mentions ASR in passing as an example of the "extreme" objectivist/measurement camp, is not overtly negative or critical of ASR, but is sort of dismissive and oversimplifies what goes on here. Am I close?

EDIT: Nope, I was wrong. Guttenberg spends more time on ASR than I'd anticipated, and at least tries to be more fair-minded and less dismissive than I had thought. He clearly privileges direct hearing experience and can't seem to get the fact that subjective evaluation is deeply flawed for all the physiological, acoustic, and psychoacoustic reasons we are familiar with - but aside from that rather large problem, he is pretty mellow about the objective-subjective debate.

Last edited:

krott5333

In addition to Steve's new video, I see this posted by Zero Fidelity. I think also a response to the objective crowd. They scared

Screenshot_20210318-173107_compress82.jpg

Helicopter

Major Contributor
steve mentions ASR
This video seems really sincere and I am impressed he knows not to pick a fight. In fact, he is not overly defensive and makes good points. His overall philisophy is flawed in some ways, but he is still making contributions I find valuable. This video makes me like him more for seperating himself from the fight and acknowledging ASR is the place for people who care about performance.

I am not going to unload my Focal speakers or my Loxjie amp for a Pass Labs / Zu combo, but I would totally get a Reisong A50 mk II and Klipsch Cornwall IVs to play around with. There is no objective information indicating gear like that can be fun, but I still have fun with it and I value Steve's opinion on stuff like that. He also does very well with features and aesthetics.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Easternlethal

Forum Donor
I do have one small quibble with what he said though, which is that understanding measurements and objective listening is optional and a matter of personal preference.

To me understanding measurements, knowing how a speaker should sound based on its design, what things like distortion, frequencies, artefacts etc sound like, are fundamental if you want to understand audio.

I mean, you don't get this with other hobbies.
Take cars for example. We don't have those who only like to drive and don't believe it's necessary to understand any of the technology vs those who only buy it for the technology.

He could have encouraged his viewers to understand measurements and then go back to him for the other parts, instead of equating it to something he doesn't understand like sports.

Just sayin..

krott5333

I do have one small quibble with what he said though, which is that understanding measurements and objective listening is optional and a matter of personal preference.

To me understanding measurements, knowing how a speaker should sound based on its design, what things like distortion, frequencies, artefacts etc sound like, are fundamental if you want to understand audio.

I mean, you don't get this with other hobbies.
Take cars for example. We don't have those who only like to drive and don't believe it's necessary to understand any of the technology vs those who only buy it for the technology.

He could have encouraged his viewers to understand measurements and then go back to him for the other parts, instead of equating it to something he doesn't understand like sports.

Just sayin..
Agreed. That's why I really appreciate Youtube channels like Joe N Tell and Erin's Audio Corner, where they give their subjective thoughts and the objective measurements and then tie it all together. Much more credible.

Easternlethal

Forum Donor
I think he actually has a similar background as Amir - electrical engineering then big tech. I would be willing to pay more to see Amir vs Romy than Amir Vs poor Steve. I would pay money for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom