• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

List of good subwoofers under 600

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Automated digital equalization done with a microphone like Dirac, etc. Around here recommended mostly for lower frequencies ~200Hz.
Room correction is a complicated subject. I have used many room correction programs. Only one that has worked for me is Anthem but cost of entry is rather expensive. I have never tried Dirac but seems bugs remain. I entered Anthem world last year and will not go back. Unfortunately, room correction programs are proprietary. You take the good with the bad.

Destination: Moon

Glad you pointed this out, I am confused as to how it can process high pass if you only have a single pre-out from the amplifier. I'll dig into it further and understand it.

I spoke with an SVS rep today. He said the signal outputs are pass-through without any filtering

OP
N

notabenem

I spoke with an SVS rep today. He said the signal outputs are pass-through without any filtering

It's true that the manual of the PRO series does not mention anything about high-passed outputs. But then those outputs are nothing more than simple Y splitters. Looks like they wanted to cut down on the number of channels in the DSP/DAC chain, and/or not to contaminate the upper signals with their own audio processing chain's quality - be it good or bad. But i suspect the former, as they announced price-matching the 10" subs with the latter 12" (PRO) subs. They had to save the difference somewhere.

I wonder what they have been using in the NON-PRO versions for the high-pass? Analogue splitters? Digital DSP/DAC?

Doctors11

Room correction is a complicated subject. I have used many room correction programs. Only one that has worked for me is Anthem but cost of entry is rather expensive. I have never tried Dirac but seems bugs remain. I entered Anthem world last year and will not go back. Unfortunately, room correction programs are proprietary. You take the good with the bad.
From what I've read I agree with this.

Some models from MartinLogan and Paradigm have Anthem Room Correction built in. Reviews are very good.

theyellowspecial

Forum Donor
Admittedly I'm on PC, so any minor issues I've had with Dirac been able to work around by utilizing other various software. For example, I use manual crossovers for my stereo subs because Dirac bass management is still in beta. Although if running one sub I could utilize the crossover in my AVR.

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
None of these except the old SVS 1000 have high level crossovers... Is there some way to run the others without having a separate amp and pre amp? My old integrated amp only has tape outputs or speaker outputs. I can afford new gear but I'm happy with my vintage Sony
Moon, If i am correct, your receiver only has speaker level outputs, so I think you are looking for or needing something like this. Just go to Amazon, look around, many to choose from.
Amazon.com: Bully Performance Audio BP-LOC15 | Hi/Lo Convertor | Line Out Convertor | LOC | High & Low Convertor | RCA Adapter: Home Audio & Theater

Moon, If i am correct, your receiver only has speaker level outputs, so I think you are looking for or needing something like this. Just go to Amazon, look around, many to choose from.
Amazon.com: Bully Performance Audio BP-LOC15 | Hi/Lo Convertor | Line Out Convertor | LOC | High & Low Convertor | RCA Adapter: Home Audio & Theater

Thanks Slayer - as it happens, I went and purchased an SVS SB 1000P today. I also bought a couple of in line high pass filters from Harrison Labs. I'm planning to run the SU 9 signal directly into the Sub and then use it's splitter outputs with the filters to drive my integrated amp and mains. Hoping this is going to be a modest improvement

Thanks Slayer - as it happens, I went and purchased an SVS SB 1000P today. I also bought a couple of in line high pass filters from Harrison Labs. I'm planning to run the SU 9 signal directly into the Sub and then use it's splitter outputs with the filters to drive my integrated amp and mains. Hoping this is going to be a modest improvement

Replying to my own post, canceled the SVS for the moment as I read here on the forum, a post about a guy that also bought a SVS sub via Amazon. They would not honor the SVS Guarantee. I still think its the Sub I want but on hold till I get some more info from this forum and Amazon

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Replying to my own post, canceled the SVS for the moment as I read here on the forum, a post about a guy that also bought a SVS sub via Amazon. They would not honor the SVS Guarantee. I still think its the Sub I want but on hold till I get some more info from this forum and Amazon
Aren't the prices on amazon.com the same as SVS direct?
So you're not saving thing by purchasing from amazon directly.

If you're in the US, just buy from SVS and you get that guarantee.

Aren't the prices on amazon.com the same as SVS direct?
So you're not saving thing by purchasing from amazon directly.

If you're in the US, just buy from SVS and you get that guarantee.

Yes but I know this will run some people the wrong way but Amazon is easy and, your personal info doesn't wind up in every bloody database in the universe.... I prefer Amazon for this reason

Enchy

Amazon also gives the 5% discount if you buy with their store card.

Top Bottom