• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Surge protector recommendations?

Robonaut

I'm thinking of getting a surge protector for my listening room. I'm not expecting an improvement in sound quality--I just would like to protect my rather expense investment from getting fried by a power surge.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir created a video on the subject:
But because I need power strips anyhow, I use pretty much "whatever" as long as the quality looks decent: APC can be had cheaply, while Tripp-Lite's Isobar series looks top-notch as far as build quality is concerned. My hope here is that while my audio components and computers may incorporate their own sacrificial surge protection devices, I'd rather they blew out in some upstream location where it might be cheaper and easier to fix.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I'm thinking of getting a surge protector for my listening room. I'm not expecting an improvement in sound quality--I just would like to protect my rather expense investment from getting fried by a power surge.

Nothing can protect against a nearby lightning hit.

Are there any large machines nearby with huge motors that make the lights dim when switched on ?

Is your intend to lower spikes on mains coming from household appliances switching on and off.

Do you have any equipment with switch mode power supplies ?
If so then most likely you are already protected from small spikes as often that type already has MOVs'or TVS inside anyway.

Do you want to DIY (easy to build into an extension cord with multiple sockets or does it have to be a finished product ?
In case of the latter which kind of protection do you want and which nominal mains voltage.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir was talking about AC noise filtering and the OP was asking about surge protection.
I would ask Kal his favorite but I believe he's a Niagra guy. Am I right?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I would ask Kal his favorite but I believe he's a Niagra guy. Am I right?
I own one. I also own a Brick-Wall (similar in tech to Zero Surge), a Furman and a few others.

Last edited:

kevin1969

I bought a Furman. I didn't notice any difference in the audio quality but it makes me feel better knowing that my stuff is protected by something more than the Home Depot power strip.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I own one. I also own a Brick-Wall (similar in tech to Zero Surge), a Furman and a few others.
Thanks. For best bang for one's buck what do you recommend? Definitely can't affort a Niagra!

Haflermichi

Zero Surge, Brick Wall and Surgex all provide non-mov based surge protection.
However, I have three Surgex rack mount units that also provide under/over voltage protection.
And that feature likely saved one of my systems from an admittedly unusual power condition.
Intermittent neutral was causing voltage fluctuations from 90 to 150 Vac all through the house.
The Surgex would not pass power to my TV and Bryston components at those extremes.
I called P,G &E and once I told them I measured 150 Vac they had a guy at my house within an hour at 11:30 at night. On a Sunday.
He verified 150 at the panel, went up in his bucket lift, redid all three legs at the top of the pole and I had 120 Vac.
He said had the Surgex not had under/over voltage protection there's no telling what could have caught on fire.

TheWalkman

I’ve always been a Tripp-Lite fan. I read an article years ago in Byte and Tripp-Lites were really a quantum level above their competition.

I had a four outlet T-L Isobar fail that I think I purchased in1996(?) and it failed in 2018 and they replaced it, no questions asked. They didn’t ask for receipts or require me to jump through a bunch of silly hoops. I sent them a couple of photos of the old unit and they shipped a new one to me. I call that great customer service for a fine product.

Last edited:

gvl

Major Contributor
I bought an 8 port Furman on Amazon sale because I needed that many outlets. It's big, beatiful, oozes quality, has a blue LED and generally makes me happy. As a bonus it protects my equipment, or so I was told.

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have an APC H15, going on 9-10 years now. We get over/under voltages, brownouts, short term black outs. The H15 has never missed a beat and I've never had any equipment connected to it damaged.

APC H15

OP
R

Robonaut

Zero Surge, Brick Wall and Surgex all provide non-mov based surge protection.
However, I have three Surgex rack mount units that also provide under/over voltage protection.
And that feature likely saved one of my systems from an admittedly unusual power condition.
Intermittent neutral was causing voltage fluctuations from 90 to 150 Vac all through the house.
The Surgex would not pass power to my TV and Bryston components at those extremes.
I called P,G &E and once I told them I measured 150 Vac they had a guy at my house within an hour at 11:30 at night. On a Sunday.
He verified 150 at the panel, went up in his bucket lift, redid all three legs at the top of the pole and I had 120 Vac.
He said had the Surgex not had under/over voltage protection there's no telling what could have caught on fire.

Sounds like a nice feature. But don't the Zero Surge products have something similar (for a lot less money)?

The Zero Surge website says:

Zero Surge's Spectrum WVR effectively senses and suppresses surges
on your 120V power line even when the power is low at 85 Volts or high
at 175 Volts and anywhere in between. This is especially beneficial
when the voltage is variable and unpredictable, during brownout and
blackout conditions, and when standby generators are used.

Lambda

Major Contributor
Get Surge protection installed at your meter and inside your distribution boxes!
Plug in things are only snake oil and maybe additional protection.

Maybe behind a isolation transformer a Plug in surge protector can do something.

1615900495593.png

Last edited:

nimar

Forum Donor
I've got a couple of these cheap APC UPS I've had the odd brown out where its flipped over to battery which seems like a good thing, and its ground fault check works, let me know my upstairs sockets weren't grounded (yes a $5 checker can also do that). So its already doing some good. I like to think it will handle a little surge as well (now that I fixed the ground wiring)

Top Bottom