• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

List of good subwoofers under 600

Destination: Moon

Add a miniDSP in the chain for instance

I don't think that'll work. All I have is high level speaker output to work with -
Unless it's supposed to go between the source and the amp? But then only one set of outputs (the high pass speaker output) would see volume control from the amp? Maybe I'm missing something?

Somafunk

Major Contributor
In the tried & tested formula for recommendations I guess I’d have to suggest what I use at the moment, KRK 10s although they do have a new model coming out in the next couple weeks, KRK S10.4. I’ll be buying one so I guess my 10s will be up for sale soon

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
N

notabenem

I am missing balanced ins/outs on the SVS. Why didn't they put one there? On the other hand, it seems using a pure DAC/PREAMP with balanced outs is almost a waste as an input to the sub if the signal to the fronts goes through a ADC/DSP/DAC of unknown quality inside the sub.
The KALI is full of connectors, but reaches 23Hz only with -10dB.

theyellowspecial

Forum Donor
Just throwing this out there, but at least for music, I'd rather have a $300 sub with room control than a $900 sub without room control.

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not trying to get into a battle over which sub brand is best. Also not trying to downgrade SVS they make fine products. I just think they are overpriced. However there is a reason why i got rid of my SVS and kept the Monoprice Monoliths. Better value, built like a tank, the tactile and transient response is incredible, they just sound cleaner.
It's nice that there are so many good options available these days.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
A little surprised your recommending the PB SVS? Just regurgitating what I've been reading - that ported subs are more for home theater, and non ported better for music?

I may be replacing mine so wondering what's what
Don't fall for ported v sealed. Design and implementation override type. $10,000 floor standers are ported. It's a myth.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
None of these except the old SVS 1000 have high level crossovers... Is there some way to run the others without having a separate amp and pre amp? My old integrated amp only has tape outputs or speaker outputs. I can afford new gear but I'm happy with my vintage Sony
I moved to modern gear. Anthem Room Correction. Audyssey is pathetic.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You should be able to find a close out of the SB2000 by SVS for that price. I bought mine a few years back from a dealer in a "scratch and dent" sale. Ad said the package was damaged. When it arrived, the box was in pristeen condition, and so was the SB2000. And yes, it's really good. Perfect with my LS 50s.

Top Bottom