• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

List of good subwoofers under 600

notabenem

Since the list of measured subwoofers is rather short, I'd like to solicit recommendations. Budget is 600 EUR, but ideally less than 400.
Would like it to reach down to mid twenties, ideally. Should be available in EU.

Last edited:

holbob

Bk xls400.... Svs sb1000 pro.... Arendal 1961 1s is probably the best though.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
In addition to those mentioned above XTZ might also have some options.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Best performers under 600 EUR would include HSU Research and Monoprice subs, but I think both aren't available in EU??
Next best performer SVS PB-1000, which is about to be discontinued, so you can grab it on sale.

SVS PB-1000 Pro will replace it. It's US$600 =>500 EUR (but not sure if there's extra importation fees and whatnot)

On that note, what's a good SVS reseller/dealer in Europe that I can take a look at? I'm interested to see what the difference btw US and EUR prices are.

Anyway, you can see all subs with this handy spreadsheet that I've created in the “subwoofer comparison” post.

Last edited:

krott5333

I don't have a lot of experiences with different subs, but I'm very happy with the JBL 550p that I just got for $180 USD. I like the sound of sealed subs.

Haint

RSL Speedwoofer, SVS 1000 series, Monoprice Monolith 10, HSU VTF2, and Rythmik L series are the only subs worth considering in this price bracket.

My mistake, missed the EUR part, no idea what choices you guys have over there.

Last edited:

Destination: Moon

Best performers under 600 EUR would include HSU Research and Monoprice subs, but I think both aren't available in EU??
Next best performer SVS PB-1000, which is about to be discontinued, so you can grab it on sale.

SVS PB-1000 Pro will replace it. It's US$600 =>500 EUR (but not sure if there's extra importation fees and whatnot)

On that note, what's a good SVS reseller/dealer in Europe that I can take a look at? I'm interested to see what the difference btw US and EUR prices are.

Anyway, you can see all subs with this handy spreadsheet that I've created in the “subwoofer comparison” post.

A little surprised your recommending the PB SVS? Just regurgitating what I've been reading - that ported subs are more for home theater, and non ported better for music?

I may be replacing mine so wondering what's what

OP
N

notabenem

SVS SB-1000 Pro can be had for 709 EUR over here. The non-pro version for 600. So pretty much 1:1 exchange rate.
The excel sheet is awesome! Thanks.
How would you describe the difference between ported/sealed subs from a listening perspective (apart from a slightly lower end on the ported subs)?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
SVS SB-1000 Pro can be had for 709 EUR over here. The non-pro version for 600. So pretty much 1:1 exchange rate.
The excel sheet is awesome! Thanks.
How would you describe the difference between ported/sealed subs from a listening perspective (apart from a slightly lower end on the ported subs)?
I say, if your space allows for it, get the ported version, since you essentially have better output/$ than sealed.
Otherwise, if space is an issue, sealed is my 2nd recommendation.

Both types (sealed and ported) work well.
The execution is more important than whether the design is vented or sealed, meaning choose well known brands.
Equalizing the subs to get rid of peaks has a far larger effect on the perceived tightness than the difference between the two types.

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A little surprised your recommending the PB SVS? Just regurgitating what I've been reading - that ported subs are more for home theater, and non ported better for music?

I may be replacing mine so wondering what's what
This is just old school folklore that holds no relevance in todays sub market. A well made ported sub is equally at home for movies or musical content.

The ported sub will be just as tight, fast and controlled as a sealed sub. Ported subs can offer some advantages. Higher spl on lower power is a huge advantage. I own both ported and sealed and with todays sub technology, I don't really see ever buying sealed again. My listening habits are 90% music and only 10% movies. Ported still wins for either content. I sometimes think those spreading the nonsense about sealed being better for music, have just not heard or properly setup a ported sub.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just bought the new SVS PB-1000Pro for $599 and its a steal for the functionality and sound it generates.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The features within the app that controls the sub are stupid good. Phase correction, polarity, room gain compesation, Parametric EQ and you can set the port to be sealed or open according to your preference just name a few.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Rel HT/1003 is around 550 and ELAC 3010 or 3030 350 to 460 from Germany.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom