• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will the Audient iD44 be able to handle the Sennheiser HD800s or the Focal Clear MG Pro Headphones?

GuatemalanBeeps

Hi. I want to buy a pair of expensive Headphones for music production and mixing. However, I won't be recording instruments such as guitars, vocals or acoustic drums. I produce electronic music and experimental rap so most of the stuff I compose is using samples, synths and drum machines ITB. I'm considering the two following options:

Sennheiser HD 800S - 300 ohms - 4Hz-51kHz

HD800S-large.jpg.auto.webp

Focal Clear MG Pro - 55 ohms / 5Hz-28kHz

ClearMGPro-large.jpg.auto.webp

My audio interface is the:

Audient iD44 USB Audio Interface

iD44-large.jpg.auto.webp

Will I need an external headphone amp if I get the Sennheiser HD800s because they are 300 ohms?
Will it be better if I get a DAC and a Headphone Amp instead? Thank you for your help.

These are the tech specs of the Audio Interface Audient iD44:

image.png

image.png

image.png

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Will I need an external headphone amp if I get the Sennheiser HD800s because they are 300 ohms?
Will it be better if I get a DAC and a Headphone Amp instead? Thank you for your help.

Based on the few specs and without knowing how loud one prefers to listen and whether or not EQ will be used I would disqualify the Audient for the Focal based on the, not really specified but strangely specified, output resistance. Smaller than 50 Ohm can literally mean any value between 50 and 0 ohm). Based on the output powers listed the headphone section seems a not well designed after thought.

I would disqualify the HD800(S) based on the available output power in 300 Ohm (around 50mW ?)
It will be fine at 'normal' listening levels but not at impressive levels.

Buy an external and capable headphone amp and use the Audient problem free on nearly all headphones in existence. Achievable below $ 150.-

Last edited:
Top Bottom