• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aperion Audio Verus III Concert V8T Tower - Released with SPL vs Freq

warthor

Aperion recently released their new Verus III Concert V8T Tower (for pre-order anyway). With their new release they published some of the spin data. I don't believe they have done this before. How does this look? I am genuinely curious because it looks pretty good to my untrained eye. User @a_p pointed this new model out in a different thread.

Verus III Concert Tower Speaker | Best Floorstanding Speaker – Aperion Audio
V8T_Test_Curves.jpg

EDIT: Title to remove reference to spin data because it is just SPL vs Freq

Last edited:

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It seems like this model, because of its TWO mid range drivers, might be a good option for somebody who needs an all around speaker for both music and movies. I say that because it seems that many of today's speakers with single mid range drivers cannot do justice to big dynamics like gun shots and explosions.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Aperion recently released their new Verus III Concert V8T Tower (for pre-order anyway). With their new release they published some of the spin data. I don't believe they have done this before. How does this look? I am genuinely curious because it looks pretty good to my untrained eye. User @a_p pointed this new model out in a different thread.

View attachment 117889

It's def good, but, that sighs that scaling.Why?? Here's what it looks like at a more reasonable scaling:
Aperion.png

Also note that isn't a spin. They're just four on-axis curves with different EQ settings that can be achieved with the speaker. No idea about directivity from this.

OP
W

warthor

It's def good, but, that sighs that scaling.Why?? Here's what it looks like at a more reasonable scaling:
View attachment 117944

Also note that isn't a spin. They're just four on-axis curves with different EQ settings that can be achieved with the speaker. No idea about directivity from this.
Thanks a lot for sharing your analysis. It does look good to me (but the bass bump is odd). I suppose we need to still wait for the independent analysis for directivity like you mentioned.

a_p

Thanks for posting this info from my original link. I already told Aperion yesterday that I posted news of their new flagship on this forum. Thanks @napilopez for fixing the scaling, I've complained to multiple sites and youtube reviewers to use consistent scaling to show the freq response. In my original post, I explained to warthor and others that Aperion does not want to spend money to advertise to big independent review magazines as it did not result in significantly more business. Hence that is why their brand is not well known in general (unlike some of their competitors like SVS) and it is hard to find true test results. How does audio science work in terms of picking speakers to review? Do they buy these speakers to review, or do consumers out of their good heart loan the speakers (and who pays for shipping)? Or do they work with the speaker company to see if they are willing to loan the speaker to them for review? I am highly interested in getting the V8T reviewed to see if the huge price jump is worth it. The only real tests so far on Verus is what I sent in a link previously - https://www.soundandvision.com/content/aperion-audio-verus-ii-grand-speaker-system-review

Personally to me, speaker reviews are important, many manufacturers are not accurate in their claims on specs. As an example, the S&V review above is on the Verus II, but will give you an idea on sensitivity, freq response etc on their current Verus V6T III line. Aperion's published specs are incorrect for bass response for the V6T III (the bass design has NOT changed since V6T II that was reviewed in S&V magazine). Aperion claims -3 db at 35 hz for V6T on their website (but in the owner's manual, it states 45 hz for -3 dB), but you can see above, it is measured at 49 hz. I've told them about these typos, some which they have fixed, others which they have not... the guys over there (Collin/Dallas) are great dudes who are second to none when it comes to customer support as you can see in the trust pilot scores - (https://www.trustpilot.com/review/aperionaudio.com)... they likely did not fix the spec errors that I pointed out to advertise and help increase sales by having good specs. I don't believe they are measuring their speakers in an anechoic chamber as they are a small outfit, it could be done nearfield using simple mics (and not a klippel system etc) that could pull in room factors to bump up the bass. I would bet their new V8T tower is -3 db at around 40 hz, nowhere close to 30 hz as they claim, but you don't know until it is measured. Hence test results are so important. While I love aperion audio, the value proposition for $4000 for internet speakers is not that good, as there are tons of good speakers in that price range... unless the measurements are superb. Here's to hoping someone thoroughly tests this new beast. I'll be the first to upgrade to the V8T if the results are good! They begin shipping the units in early April and open for pre-orders now.

Last edited:

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for posting this info from my original link. I already told Aperion yesterday that I posted news of their new flagship on this forum. Thanks @napilopez for fixing the scaling, I've complained to multiple sites and youtube reviewers to use consistent scaling to show the freq response. In my original post, I explained to warthor and others that Aperion does not want to spend money to advertise to big independent review magazines as it did not result in significantly more business. Hence that is why their brand is not well known in general (unlike some of their competitors like SVS) and it is hard to find true test results. How does audio science work in terms of picking speakers to review? Do they buy these speakers to review, or do consumers out of their good heart loan the speakers (and who pays for shipping)? Or do they work with the speaker company to see if they are willing to loan the speaker to them for review? I am highly interested in getting the V8T reviewed to see if the huge price jump is worth it. The only real tests so far on Verus is what I sent in a link previously - https://www.soundandvision.com/content/aperion-audio-verus-ii-grand-speaker-system-review

Personally to me, speaker reviews are important, many manufacturers are not accurate in their claims on specs. As an example, the S&V review above is on the Verus II, but will give you an idea on sensitivity, freq response etc on their current Verus V6T III line. Aperion's published specs are incorrect for bass response for the V6T III (the bass design has NOT changed since V6T II that was reviewed in S&V magazine). Aperion claims -3 db at 35 hz for V6T on their website (but in the owner's manual, it states 45 hz for -3 dB), but you can see above, it is measured at 49 hz. I've told them about these typos, some which they have fixed, others which they have not... the guys over there (Collin/Dallas) are great dudes who are second to none when it comes to customer support as you can see in the trust pilot scores - (https://www.trustpilot.com/review/aperionaudio.com)... they likely did not fix the spec errors that I pointed out to advertise and help increase sales by having good specs. I don't believe they are measuring their speakers in an anechoic chamber as they are a small outfit, it could be done nearfield using simple mics (and not a klippel system etc) that could pull in room factors to bump up the bass. I would bet their new V8T tower is -3 db at around 40 hz, nowhere close to 30 hz as they claim, but you don't know until it is measured. Hence test results are so important. While I love aperion audio, the value proposition for $4000 for internet speakers is not that good, as there are tons of good speakers in that price range... unless the measurements are superb. Here's to hoping someone thoroughly tests this new beast. I'll be the first to upgrade to the V8T if the results are good! They begin shipping the units in early April and open for pre-orders now.

Maybe you could purchase the new flagship Verus III Concert V8T and have it shipped to @amirm or @hardisj, so that they could give you full spinorama data for it. How tall is it? I know that @hardisj can only handle a certain height. Given that Aperion has a 60 day return policy, if Amir or Erin shows that it measures poorly, then you can just ship it back for no cost. I would make sure with them(@amirm, @hardisj) that they can measure it in time so that you can return it within the 60 day window.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

View attachment 117889
Please edit the title @warthor since this isn't spin data.

BDE

Sorry but I don`t see why this speaker should be special. The huge distance between the midwoofers and the crossover frequency of 2.8kHz will cause side lobes in the vertical radiation patern. Furthermore the recessed baffle, the speaker will "see" the edge which will badly impact the frequency response. Maybe the grill can smothen that edge a bit (no pics available) however will still be a disadvantage.

a_p

Maybe you could purchase the new flagship Verus III Concert V8T and have it shipped to @amirm or @hardisj, so that they could give you full spinorama data for it. How tall is it? I know that @hardisj can only handle a certain height. Given that Aperion has a 60 day return policy, if Amir or Erin shows that it measures poorly, then you can just ship it back for no cost. I would make sure with them(@amirm, @hardisj) that they can measure it in time so that you can return it within the 60 day window.

Thanks for the nice offer/thought. The dimensions are 51 x 11 x 14 (H x W x D) inches. It would cost me probably $150+ to ship it one way, the speaker is 77 lbs alone and 95 lbs in the carton for each, almost 200 lbs for the pair when shipped. Fairly big. I appreciate the offer, but need to think if I want to drop that much money to get spinorama results. I would hope Aperion would do so on their own volition and will ask them as it is cheap advertisement (I suppose it depends if the review is favorable or not).

The bad news is the 60 day policy is no longer true. I found out yesterday when talking to their customer service team that Aperion cut it to 30 days and now is charging a restocking fee or 10% of price, which would be $400 out of my pocket (plus $150+ shipping costs to @amirm or @hardisi for this case if the test results are poor). Unlike SVS's bill of rights, Aperion is no longer competitive when it comes a no-risk-trial policy that was their bread and butter for over 2 decades. That's an unfortunate change, Aperion politely explained to me on the phone that the return shipping costs was killing their business. I can understand that, but I think it will hurt potential sales and make folks who are hesitant on a brand that does not get much coverage, not take the plunge.

Last edited:

a_p

Sorry but I don`t see why this speaker should be special. The huge distance between the midwoofers and the crossover frequency of 2.8kHz will cause side lobes in the vertical radiation patern. Furthermore the recessed baffle, the speaker will "see" the edge which will badly impact the frequency response. Maybe the grill can smothen that edge a bit (no pics available) however will still be a disadvantage.

Fascinating. I have the V6T and there is also a nice distance also between the 4.5 inch midwoofers (as I measured, not the 5.25 inches they claim on their website) and the 2.6 kHz crossover (V6T only, for V8T they raised it to 2.8 kHz), but until I see radiation plots from spinorama, I can't say how bad this affects the pattern.

a_p

Audio wizards, can you share your thoughts on REW software for audio measurements? Some youtube audio sites use it to generate speaker responses (near field) - https://www.roomeqwizard.com/ Maybe I'll buy a good mic and try the software, but would like to hear anyone's thoughts on it if they've used it before.

Ericglo

Thanks for the nice offer/thought. The dimensions are 51 x 11 x 14 (H x W x D) inches. It would cost me probably $150+ to ship it one way, the speaker is 77 lbs alone and 95 lbs in the carton for each, almost 200 lbs for the pair when shipped. Fairly big. I appreciate the offer, but need to think if I want to drop that much money to get spinorama results. I would hope Aperion would do so on their own volition and will ask them as it is cheap advertisement (I suppose it depends if the review is favorable or not).

The bad news is the 60 day policy is no longer true. I found out yesterday when talking to their customer service team that Aperion cut it to 30 days and now is charging a restocking fee or 10% of price, which would be $400 out of my pocket (plus $150+ shipping costs to @amirm or @hardisi for this case if the test results are poor). Unlike SVS's bill of rights, Aperion is no longer competitive when it comes a no-risk-trial policy that was their bread and butter for over 2 decades. That's an unfortunate change, Aperion politely explained to me on the phone that the return shipping costs was killing their business. I can understand that, but I think it will hurt potential sales and make folks who are hesitant on a brand that does not get much coverage, not take the plunge.

If they are confident in their product, then they should have nothing to fear from the Klippel. Being in Portland, maybe someone there would be willing to hand deliver this speaker to Amir up in Seattle.

a_p

Totally agree, I've forwarded this thread to Aperion, let's see what they decide/do.

CygnusX

been very curious in regard to these speakers, i have had aperion for 15 years now from their little 522 bookshelfs...their 633 two way towers now relegated to the play den, and Verus towers mk1 in my movie room upgraded to mk2 with their new tweeters when one of the tweeters blew

customer service has been fast, easy, and awesome

last year i swapped for JTR Noesis 215's LCR, in stereo for music i liked them, i heard stuff that the verus never revealed, but the directionality of the horns drove me nuts....its my bad, my room is simply too small....but now i want a speaker thats more revealing, so i chatted with aperion, they of course pushed the new v8t's said they had tuned them to be a bit more bright, hense the option to turn it down on the back of the speaker with jumpers, i dunno, kinda want to try something else like the Revel Be's

lewdish

Anyone ever since in Aperions for measurements? Curious if they ever have measured well historically. Even those "super tweeters" ive always wanted to know what value they bring or if its just snakeoil~

YSC

Major Contributor
L+R post EQ compressed.jpg

Definitely scaling problem... scaled my own in room measurement with EQ to fix <500hz , this is what the genelecs achieved in my messy gaming room..

Doctors11

I contacted Aperion about 6 months ago. I was/am interested in the Novus line. I told them about Amir and Erin and suggested they contact them about sending in some models for testing. Never heard back from them.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Audio wizards, can you share your thoughts on REW software for audio measurements? Some youtube audio sites use it to generate speaker responses (near field) - https://www.roomeqwizard.com/ Maybe I'll buy a good mic and try the software, but would like to hear anyone's thoughts on it if they've used it before.

REW is the de facto standard audio measurement software right now. It’s donationware, very powerful, and works on Macs as well as whatever else people may use. As to individual measurements posted wherever, their utility depends on methodology as well as anything else.

There’s a learning curve to taking useful audio measurements, but getting decent data is the best way to make and track improvements.

Asa

Did anyone ever take delivery of said Verus III V8Ts or V6Ts? I have the first version of the Verus as towers in a 7.1 HT system. I'd be curious if the IIIs are good replacement for the original's or not to bother? I used to live in the PNW and ordering from them was easy. I'm happy with the system with Denon AVR-X6500H + HSU sub. I was also entertaining something from Tekton for an all new system, but that will come later.

First post...cool site, information and some fun characters. :). Thanks.

Top Bottom