• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Connaker says: "Sonos PORT NOT Bit Perfect" !! Do you/we care?

curiouspeter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I use Sonos products only:
  • for wireless surround; best way to get my floor speakers to work with my in-ceiling speakers
  • as causal Roon endpoints
The Sonos app is solid but not user-friendly. It is so hard to organize and find music. Roon is just so much better.

I wonder why anyone would use a Sonos Port as a streaming DAC. The Pi 4 + Topping D10s combo costs less than half but with much better performance and features.

DK11706

The Sonos app is the most user-friendly you can find at this point in time, that's why a lot of people wants it to be bitperfect to feed an external DAC. Pi3,4 etc. is for nerds, and if you don't believe me then ask you a girl you know about how to setup a Pi4 for music purposes ;)

I love Sonos, but I hate that bitperfect changes with every model/software update, how hard can it be...if you choose fixed output then you bypass all internal DSP processing.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use Sonos products only:
  • for wireless surround; best way to get my floor speakers to work with my in-ceiling speakers
  • as causal Roon endpoints
The Sonos app is solid but not user-friendly. It is so hard to organize and find music. Roon is just so much better.

I wonder why anyone would use a Sonos Port as a streaming DAC. The Pi 4 + Topping D10s combo costs less than half but with much better performance and features.
I use the older Connect as a streamer, probably use this more than anything else that I have to play music. I think it's great. I use the optical output these days, but I used to use the internal DAC and thought it sounded just fine.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A music streamers main job is to take a file sent from the internet and open it and pass along the music datastream (pcm or dsd, etc) unmolested to a downstream DAC. If it can't do that it just creates pain and suffering for anyone who cares to make sure the music is being faithfully reproduced by the DAC they invested in. Common problems are fixed resampling rates instead of the original sample rate of the file, or inability to play files that should just work on your DAC. See Android and Apple for the epitome of pain and suffering trying to get bit perfect digital audio out of their devices to a downstream DACs.

curiouspeter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A music streamers main job is to take a file sent from the internet and open it and pass along the music datastream (pcm or dsd, etc) unmolested to a downstream DAC. If it can't do that it just creates pain and suffering for anyone who cares to make sure the music is being faithfully reproduced by the DAC they invested in. Common problems are fixed resampling rates instead of the original sample rate of the file, or inability to play files that should just work on your DAC. See Android and Apple for the epitome of pain and suffering trying to get bit perfect digital audio out of their devices to a downstream DACs.
Audiophiles are not the target audience of Sonos.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Audiophiles are not the target audience of Sonos.
Agreed. But their target audience expect this to just work properly and in this case it won't if you plug something in downstream.

Darwin

The Port has many reviews citing poor sound quality and the price is idiotic for what it is.

Top Bottom