• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are there sub-$1500 AV Processors???

rccarguy

Yeah my speakers go much lower (32hz) and with more 8" drivers but I still cross them

rccarguy

I use 100....would depend on your room too, rather than just using an f3 or f6....

For me 100hz is way too much in stereo with sub going that high, with speakers lacking in low bass sounds a bit naff (and I have a good sub)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For me 100hz is way too much in stereo with sub going that high, with speakers lacking in low bass sounds a bit naff (and I have a good sub)
It depends, I use several subs and localization isn't an issue for me either....as they say YMMV. I'd always encourage some crossover experimentation if not measuring....

rccarguy

It depends, I use several subs and localization isn't an issue for me either....as they say YMMV. I'd always encourage some crossover experimentation if not measuring....

What I do is switch the sub off and alter the main speakers crossover and see owcit sounds with main speakers only, for.2 channel mode, where it sounds good not lacking in bass bit a lower setting doesn't improve it, then set to that and sub to that switch sub on and recalibrate levels

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You might be able to find a used Marantz or Denon or one of the other brands mentioned for a reasonable price.
Of course an AV pre pro has a lot of things to test if you are going to buy it used. But you already have the experience with a receiver so you know what features really need to be carefully tested.

When I "returned" to audio and wanted to upgrade to multichannel I was very depressed at the price of pre processors and then a Schmarantz AV 7005 fell into my lap. It's about ten years old and only has XT not XT 32. But it will do for quite a while. Perfect for figuring out whether all this is worth it.

OP
andrewskaterrr

andrewskaterrr

You're looking for stereo sub pre-outs? You find something with that feature? I can't think of one....
So Marantz and Denon both have stereo sub outs, but I haven’t found if it can do LFE+Mains Stereo yet ei: Right Main bass goes to right sub.

OP
andrewskaterrr

andrewskaterrr

You might be able to find a used Marantz or Denon or one of the other brands mentioned for a reasonable price.
Of course an AV pre pro has a lot of things to test if you are going to buy it used. But you already have the experience with a receiver so you know what features really need to be carefully tested.

When I "returned" to audio and wanted to upgrade to multichannel I was very depressed at the price of pre processors and then a Schmarantz AV 7005 fell into my lap. It's about ten years old and only has XT not XT 32. But it will do for quite a while. Perfect for figuring out whether all this is worth it.
From what I’ve seen on the review here, XT32 actually works where as XF is just too low resolution to make much of an effort. I have XT right now and the 85hz peak in my room can’t be taken out, it just drops 63hz down like 6db and the next step is like 230hz at 0db. My speakers sound worse after using it. XT32 actually works with I believe it’s 32? EQ steps vs XT’s 8.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So Marantz and Denon both have stereo sub outs, but I haven’t found if it can do LFE+Mains Stereo yet ei: Right Main bass goes to right sub.

No, they don't. They have two mono sub outs, and in some models they can be adjusted separately for delay and level, but that's it. You can do the double bass thing in a few modes, tho.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
From what I’ve seen on the review here, XT32 actually works where as XF is just too low resolution to make much of an effort. I have XT right now and the 85hz peak in my room can’t be taken out, it just drops 63hz down like 6db and the next step is like 230hz at 0db. My speakers sound worse after using it. XT32 actually works with I believe it’s 32? EQ steps vs XT’s 8.

Thinking of this ?
audyssey filters.png

OP
andrewskaterrr

andrewskaterrr

No, they don't. They have two mono sub outs, and in some models they can be adjusted separately for delay and level, but that's it. You can do the double bass thing in a few modes, tho.
Oh well, I was more worried about the LR to sub, but the SVS PB-1000 Pros can do their own EQing so I’m fine with that.

Ya I saw the review for XT32 here and saw how it actually worked vs XT.

rccarguy

Oh well, I was more worried about the LR to sub, but the SVS PB-1000 Pros can do their own EQing so I’m fine with that.

Svs EQ is basic and you'd need measuring equipment

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

So you're going to bypass using the sub pre-outs and use the speaker level inputs with your L/R speakers to get "stereo" bass? I'd think Audyssey is a better eq tool than the onboard dsp in the subs, tho....

rccarguy

There are zero benefits of using high level to sub from stereo main amplifier, and in fact this is terrible way of doing it.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There are zero benefits of using high level to sub from stereo main amplifier, and in fact this is terrible way of doing it.

Well, not something I'd recommend, but is a way to do "stereo" subs....at least I was thinking that's what the OP meant when he mentioned he could use the dsp in the sub rather than processor.....

OP
andrewskaterrr

andrewskaterrr

So you're going to bypass using the sub pre-outs and use the speaker level inputs with your L/R speakers to get "stereo" bass? I'd think Audyssey is a better eq tool than the onboard dsp in the subs, tho....
I had thought about that but didn't want to since I'd lose LFE channel to the subs. I'm talking about how the SVS subs have their own EQ adjustments on the amp plate.

Top Bottom