• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Introductions anyone?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Welcome! Good to see another engineer here. I worked on some data converters for physics stuff but on the HW side, not SW, small world!

Wombat

Master Contributor
Hi, thought we'd join the GiRAPHS. :)

Attachments

• display_1036887.gif
    display_1036887.gif
    476.9 KB · Views: 188

bl3uge

Hi everyone, I am new to the site.
I visited hydrogenaudio years ago a lot (when i was in the world of video ripping/enconding) but then simply enjoyed music in my devices for years without to much forum lurking.

I discovered the forum looking for a new DAC for my main PC (looking info for the Topping D10, that I thought it was a nice one to try).
I still have lots of thread to read here. I'll get some fun again.

I am from Canary Islands (you could check it in a map) and it's difficult here to test equipment, so I need to trust online reviews.
I have a huge digital music collection and usually listen to every kind of music. I am not a fan of Flac, because i've never been able to difference from a V0 for example, but maybe a new DAC and maybe a new Headphones could change that.

I can't help here too much, I am not an Audio Engineer, but studied computing in the Univ., I code little personal projects from time to time, mainly in Delphi/Pascal.
Also being in gaming emulation for years. Got a Raspberry and a DAC for it to try some audio on it.

If you need recommendations of obscure music substyles I am your man.

Thanks everyone!

Interference

Hi all, I am an audio enthusiast with a STEM background but not specific to electronics / audio engineering.

I have been looking for a website providing reliable measurements of audio gear. Not many people around with access to a dScope or an Audio Precision test rig, and after NwAvGuy disappearance I was kind of missing some reputable source.

Modern audio technology is great but it's sometimes difficult to make informed choices :)

milokinni

Greetings. For someone with little background in science, I was motivated to register to learn a little more about audio science. Not to mention all the joie de vivre around at the forum made it easy for newbies too. :)

I'm a headphone enthusiast who is however strictly on the objectivist side. However like I've said I've little background in science but am here to learn. I listen mostly to classical and have a degree in humanities and live in the tropics. And pardon my language as English is not my native tongue.

Hope to contribute more to the good cheer around the place.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Greetings. For someone with little background in science, I was motivated to register to learn a little more about audio science. Not to mention all the joie de vivre around at the forum made it easy for newbies too. :)

I'm a headphone enthusiast who is however strictly on the objectivist side. However like I've said I've little background in science but am here to learn. I listen mostly to classical and have a degree in humanities and live in the tropics. And pardon my language as English is not my native tongue.

Hope to contribute more to the good cheer around the place.

Welcome!

Science is above all a mindset. Some are open to it. Others are not.

cjfrbw

Age wrong in sig, 68 not 58, it was late when I entered and can't see yet how to fix it. Retired dentist for six years.

Long time audiophile. I am sound quality oriented rather than bling for bling's sake. Before internet, I always thought of audiophiles as basement dwelling experimenters, tripping on cables and tubes, maybe with solder singed hands and the odor of burst capacitors in the air and stuff laying all around. Now, the country club, Grey Poupon audiophiles are curators of status and fashion seeking, competitive spendaholicism in audio showrooms more than listening rooms. Audio critics are marketing politicians, feeding their own habits by feeding the delusions of the market.

Economics has generated grand mythologies of audio absurdity that persist as long as the dollars keep flowing. That sure is a lot of bower bird energy being expended showing off for other male bower birds. It's fun up to the point that it too much resembles mental illness. Does it really take a million dollars to "get out of the way of the music"?

I like this site because I learn something here, rather than feeling I have to add another voice to a mutual admiration society echo chamber based on spending and display. I am only vaguely technical, but have found over the years that for some reason, I wind up modifying things within my limited technical understanding and capabilities.

I am probably as much a subjectivist as objectivist, because I will let my hearing determine my opinion. However, I realize that subjectivists wouldn't have the luxury if it weren't for the hard work of objectivists, first.

I built my first set of good speakers with my roommate in college at UC Berkeley, a lot of us were already messing with stuff. I bought a Roberts R to R, with built in amps and speaker outputs, and a console turntable to record records because I couldn't afford to buy them. That was my first system. My fellow students knew I was a leech, but liked me, so they didn't mind that much. My audio interest never left, though career and dough made my journey variable with periods of cessation. I can pretty much afford what I want, now, but still prefer my Frankenstein patchwork system of experimental madness. My main amps are nearly 40 year old VFETs with directly heated triode drivers. Analysis Epsilon panel speakers with active crossovers etc. and surrounds. It's a mix of old and new, nostalgia and current streaming stuff. I still love tubes, but went from a massive, all tubed system with multiple SET amps to a more discrete mix of directly heated triode drivers and solid state. With very selected solid state amps, it still sounds like tubes but with better dynamics and extension.

Yes, I like vinyl, even the pops and clicks. However, I recorded a bunch of 128kps and 256kps music from the internet for gym ipod listening, and oddly enough, I have entire pleasurable sessions listening to it through the main system with the digital upgrading through the Yamaha AV preamp, what a shock! Digital has finally arrived.

Last edited:

Damien Tougas

Another engineer here! My background has nothing to do with electronics... I graduated with a degree in Civil Engineering, and about 4 years after that went into software and never looked back. I like geeking out on gear (of all kinds), and especially appreciate being able to know what I am actually paying for and whether or not I am getting my moneys worth when it comes to audio equipment. That's what I signed-up for: to not get wooed by marketing, but by cold, hard science :)

dc655321

Major Contributor
Another engineer here! My background has nothing to do with electronics... I graduated with a degree in Civil Engineering, and about 4 years after that went into software and never looked back. I like geeking out on gear (of all kinds), and especially appreciate being able to know what I am actually paying for and whether or not I am getting my moneys worth when it comes to audio equipment. That's what I signed-up for: to not get wooed by marketing, but by cold, hard science :)

Canadian engineer, complete with Iron Ring?

dc655321

Major Contributor
Stainless Steel ring in the US. Of course. o_O

And probably made in China ;)
Kidding aside, I have never seen an actual iron ring on an engineer.
Mine is certainly stainless steel.

Wombat

Master Contributor
And probably made in China ;)
Kidding aside, I have never seen an actual iron ring on an engineer.
Mine is certainly stainless steel.

Only the Toronto camp can choose wrought iron or stainless steel. Check for 'black finger'. o_O

Wombat

Master Contributor
Only the Toronto camp can choose wrought iron or stainless steel. Check for 'black finger'. o_O

'Audiophile' ring - brown.

Kyle / MrHeeHo

I’m another one of those people directed here from reddit posts and I figured I’d start coming to the source rather than getting info secondhand from internet arguments :) . I’m more than a bit tired of how people online tend to reduce science to something that exists so they can tell someone online they’re wrong.

I’ll be the first to admit I have no real background in audio, science or audio science (kind hard when I’m only 23) and am a hobbyist but I am interested in real world performance of products, want to begin to understand what I’m reading and hopefully find answers to some of my many ‘Why Questions.’

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Welcome Kyle, great to see interest from the younger set!

Amir, hush... :D

Wombat

Master Contributor
Welcome to the forum Kyle. No prior experience is needed to be here. Ask questions and our senior members -- both in age and experience :D -- will be happy to answer.

Not forgetting with-it younger members. :)

Top Bottom