• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lute Music and Other Early Music: Stunning Recordings We Love

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Edit on August 25, 2022
The title of this thread has been modified into: Lute Music and Other Early Music: Stunning Recordings We Love.

Throughout my long years of enthusiasm in classical music and Hi-Fi audio, I have always deeply loved lute music.

Stunning recording of lute music, therefore, is one of the many major targets for the recently (provisionally) completed my multichannel multi-amplifier project. As you may agree, nice recordings of lute music always have wide-spread and well balanced frequency spectrum over ca. 25 Hz - 25 kHz, and which is always a kind of nice challenge to our Hi-Fi audio system.

While fully enjoying wonderful sound of lute music with my recently completed multichannel multi-amplifier system, I decided to start this new thread entitled "Lute Music: Stunning Recordings We Love" even though I fully understand it would be quite a small niche field in classical music.

Here, I would highly appreciate your participation on not only lute music but also archlute, theorbo and vihuera music.

Edited to add: Let's include "Lute Songs" also!

With my hearty respects to the Canadian lutenist Michel Cardin, let me start this thread by introduction to his outstanding performance and recording in a set of twelve (12) CDs of Silvius Leopold Weiss's Complete London Manuscript for Lute.
WS001427.JPG

In 2006, I purchased these 12 CDs directly from Michel Cardin in Canada after wonderful communication with him. Very fortunately, these 12 CDs are now finally available in Amazon;
https://www.amazon.com/Silvius-Leop...&keywords=Michel+Cardin&qid=1615548819&sr=8-1
and elsewhere.
You can also hear many sampler tracks of this really amazing 12-CD album in YouTube, just for example;

Last edited:
OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We should never forget about Jacob Lindberg's dedication in lute music recorded mainly by BIS label including
BIS-CD-587/588 BIS: Bach Lute Music;
WS001428.JPG

and, BIS-CD-722/724 BIS: Complete Solo Music of John Dowland;
WS001429.JPG

OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really love this fantastic duets by Edward Martin and Paul Berget downloaded from magnatune.com;
http://magnatune.com/artists/martin_berget/
WS001431.JPG

The recording quality is also wonderful with the downloaded tracks from magnatune.com...

OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This duets by Robert Barto and Karl-Ernst Schroeder is also my treasure,
SY 98159 Symphonia
WS001432.JPG

Sorry, I cannot find sampler at YouTube...

OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a very charming and exceptional album by Paul O'Dette and Roger Covey-Crump on original tunes for the famous Respighi's Suites of "Ancient Airs and Dances";
CDA66228 Hyperion
WS001433.JPG

I cannot find sampler track on YouTube...

Edit: You can hear the samplers at the Hyperion site for CDA66228.

Last edited:
OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great lutenist David Taylor from Voices of Music uploaded many wonderful videos in YouTube, including;

and,

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Eugen Dombois LPs Renaissance lute music and SL Weiss on the baroque lute.
https://www.discogs.com/Eugen-M-Dombois-Lautenmusik-Der-Renaissance/master/1359891
https://www.discogs.com/Weiss-Kelln...oque-Lute-I-Le-Luth-Baroque-I/release/5824826
https://www.discogs.com/Bach-Conrad...cklaute-II-Le-Luth-Baroque-II/release/5824847

My late friend Philip Rosheger playing the Prelude, Fugue, and Allegro (bwv 998) on either classical guitar or baroque lute. It was his favorite piece out of the approximately 450 concert level pieces he had memorized as well as the many others he played.

Our local classical guitar society hosted Paul O Dette several times.
https://www.discogs.com/Paul-ODette...Del-Divino-Francesco-Da-Milano/master/1503773
I love the above CD. It is great for listening quietly late at night when loud stuff is not appropriate.

Last edited:

nimar

Forum Donor
Throughout my long years of enthusiasm in classical music and Hi-Fi audio, I have always deeply loved lute music.

Stunning recording of lute music, therefore, is one of the many major targets for the recently (provisionally) completed my multichannel multi-amplifier project. As you may agree, nice recordings of lute music always have widely-spread and well balanced frequency spectrum over ca. 25 Hz - 25 kHz, and which is always a kind of nice challenge to our Hi-Fi audio system.

While fully enjoying wonderful sound of lute music with my recently completed multichannel multi-amplifier system, I decided to start this new thread entitled "Lute Music: Stunning Recordings We Love" even though I fully understand it would be quite a small niche field in classical music.

Here, I would highly appreciate your participation on not only lute music but also archlute and theorbo music.

With my hearty respects to the Canadian lutenist Michel Cardin, let me start this thread by introduction to his outstanding performance and recording in a set of twelve (12) CDs of Silvius Leopold Weiss's Complete London Manuscript for Lute.
View attachment 117816

In 2006, I purchased these 12 CDs directly from Michel Cardin in Canada after wonderful communication with him. Very fortunately, these 12 CDs are now finally available in Amazon;
https://www.amazon.com/Silvius-Leop...&keywords=Michel+Cardin&qid=1615548819&sr=8-1
and elsewhere.
You can also hear many sampler tracks of this really amazing 12-CD album in YouTube, just for example;

You should catch up with Andreas_Philipp1 over on https://community.roonlabs.com/t/what-we-are-listening-to-2021/134388/5976 He's a serious `lute head`

I see most are already mentioned but my favourite lutenist thus far are (in no particular order)

Jakob Lindberg
Paul O'Dette
Hopkinson Smith
Toyohiko Satoh

Robin L

Master Contributor
You should catch up with Andreas_Philipp1 over on https://community.roonlabs.com/t/what-we-are-listening-to-2021/134388/5976 He's a serious `lute head`

I see most are already mentioned but my favourite lutenist thus far are (in no particular order)

Jakob Lindberg
Paul O'Dette
Hopkinson Smith
Toyohiko Satoh
I was lucky enough to record Paul O'Dette, Hopkinson Smith, Nigel North, David Tayler [fantastic recording engineer BTW] and other lute players in the 1990's

OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello my dear friends,

All of you are much welcome to this thread, and I thank you so much for your sharing your beloved stunning recordings of lute music as well as the various information.

gene_stl,
Thank you for your top runner participation! Our intensive enjoyable PM personal communication during the past months on guitar and lute music (as well as on Hi-Fi audio system) really encouraged me starting this new thread on lute music.

Robi L,
Yes, I also have these two of Hopkinson Smith;
E 8703 Astree - AUVIDIS
WS001434.JPG

and,
E 8718 Astree - AUVIDS
WS001435.JPG

I have this nice one also;
E 7748 Astree - AUVIDIS
WS001437.JPG

Thank you for links to Nogel North. I have this nice one;
CD-SAR 23 Amon Ra
WS001438.JPG

nimar,
Thank you for the info ...
Yes, as for Toyohiko Satoh, I love these;
WS001440.JPG

Pretorious,
I do not know, do not have, those of Lutz Kirchof and Richard Sone, thank you so much.

OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Many of you may aware of this nice one;
BIS-CD-341 BIS
WS001441.JPG

OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Many of you may agree with me starting/including "Lute Songs" category with this historical performance and recording of Alfred Deller;
HMC 90244 Harmonia Mundi
WS001442.JPG

In addition,,,
Just for your reference, Alfred Deller's truly astonishing (profound and sad) "Henry Purcell: Music for a While" (HM 90.249 Harmonia Mundi) was recorded in 1979, the year of his death, and usually said to be his "Schwanengesang", but out of the scope of this thread... highly recommended.

Last edited:
OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And, Dowland's Complete Lute Songs by Consort of Music;
POCL-373/80 5-CD Set from LOiseau-Lyre (and release from other label in England?)
WS001443.JPG

Last edited:
OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dorian Label is long known for their wonderful recording quality, including these;
DOR-90109 Dorian Recordings
WS001444.JPG

and,
DOR-90126 Dorian Recordings;
WS001445.JPG

OP
dualazmak

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I should never forget sharing so many recordings of Emma Kirkby and Anthony Rooley; one typical example is,
VC 7 91212-2 261-599 Virgin Classics Ltd.
WS001446.JPG

Top Bottom