• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIFIMAN SUNDARA AND DAN CLARK AEON2 NOIRE

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
have several. For travel AKG N700 ANC (see measurement below), at work or home, currently AKG K371. I also have a pair of AKG N5005 for in-ear with Comply Foam Tips.

I have access to lots of headphones at work I can bring home and listen to as well (see photo).

@Sean Olive

Could you share your thoughts on the AKG N90Q? Curious why you mentioned N700 ANC instead.. Is it 'a way of the future'.. or a dead end.. What's right.. what's wrong..

Any and anything that comes to mind..:)

devopsprodude

The biggest issue with soundstage is that it not only is pinna dependent but above all brain dependent.
I have the same issues with spatial audio and headphones. My brother has the Apple cans and I played around with the spatial effects app and can only hear stuff moving from left to right and vice versa.

The soundstage of the Sundara is excellent though. Compared to the Sony WH-1000XM3 cans I have, it's very obvious the differences there. The sound seems confined to closer to the head with the Sony headphones and feels significantly farther out with the Sundara cans. Also when listening to Public Enemy, it feels like Chuck D is in the room. But yeah, still doesn't feel like I'm listening to a band on a stage in front of me.

OP
S

Sean Olive

Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I have the same issues with spatial audio and headphones. My brother has the Apple cans and I played around with the spatial effects app and can only hear stuff moving from left to right and vice versa.

The soundstage of the Sundara is excellent though. Compared to the Sony WH-1000XM3 cans I have, it's very obvious the differences there. The sound seems confined to closer to the head with the Sony headphones and feels significantly farther out with the Sundara cans. Also when listening to Public Enemy, it feels like Chuck D is in the room. But yeah, still doesn't feel like I'm listening to a band on a stage in front of me.

There is a good scientific reason why you think the Sundara sounds better: It is better. :)

Attachments

• SONY 1000 MX3.png
    SONY 1000 MX3.png
    980.7 KB · Views: 632
  • Sundara.jpg
    Sundara.jpg
    785.3 KB · Views: 644

devopsprodude

There is a good scientific reason why you think the Sundara sounds better: It is better. :)
Yes, I'm well aware, thanks to you, that the Sonys measure poorly in terms of overall sound quality, but I was referring specifically to soundstage, and I thought your measurements don't show that?

OP
S

Sean Olive

Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Yes, I'm well aware, thanks to you, that the Sonys measure poorly in terms of overall sound quality, but I was referring specifically to soundstage, and I thought your measurements don't show that?
No I don't have measurement that directly relates to spatial attributes. However, FR is related to spatial attributes so a bad FR means bad spatial.

1. Localization in Azimuth - ITD and IID (IID is affected by FR)
2. Elevation: purely based on spectral differences at HF related to HRTF (affected by FR)
3. Sense of Depth or Distance: ratio of direct:reflected sounds, early reflections, HF attenuation with distance (affected by FR)
4. Apparent Source Width: related to lateral reflections and interaural cross correlation or IACC (affected by FR)

You are comparing an open back with a good FR with a closed back with a poor FR so I would expect spatial differences to exist. That's my point.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I've tested some magnetic planar headphones over the past few years (Audeze, Mr. Speakers and Oppo) but haven't tested any lately. So I ordered these units as I was told they are among the best current units out there. I measured them yesterday on my GRAS 45 CA-10 and calculated the predicted scores based on deviations from the Harman Target Curve between 50 Hz to 10kHz. See results below.

Also included is the K371 for comparison, which currently sells for $119.

These are all good headphones, IMO. The magnetic planars have noticeably more HF output, which is a good thing.

I briefly listened to all three last evening and can say they all sound good and neutral to my ears, just slightly different in terms of tonal balance, and some subtle details.

In terms of FR, the differences among the headphones are mostly below 100 Hz and above 10kHz. The K371 and Aeon2 Noire have more deep bass which I prefer. But there exists a segment of listeners (21% of the listeners we have tested) who prefer less bass than the Harman Target so for them the SUNDARA may be a good choice.

I am told by well-respected headphone reviewers that there are different versions of the SUNDARA out there where the pads are different. I have seen measurements on Rtings and elsewhere where the SUNDARA bass extends within 3 dB down to 20-30 Hz. So I will probably order another sample to see if it has more bass.

Nice.

For open back listening I use Sundara.

For closed back for lower background noise foor, I followed you advice with DCA Noire.

I just use 3 bands of EQ for each, the most major gaps I can close by eye-balling, to bring it closer to Harman.

I don't see the point in 10 bands to make my sample measure like oratory's (not possible).

And then adjust bass to personal reference (I like oratory's standard LS filter at 105kHz for this bass adjustment)

Top Bottom