• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which speaker would you like to be reviewed? (community interest thread)

lherrm

First, thanks ASR and our host for pushing toward more objective and deep analysis of audio products.
Like @amirm, @hardisj (Erin) has his own Klippel NFS, and can deliver thorough speaker review like the Dutch&Dutch 8C review.
By chance, he is open to the idea of reviewing a speaker selected (and provided) by the community.
This means we have an opportunity to choose the next loudspeaker to get the full Erin's treatment, which is immense.
Keep in mind that :
- this is Erin's hobby. He doesn't have to do anything. He already has a lot of things to test on his own.
While he's willing to do this now, he's not commited to any contract, and can dismiss his offer.
His time is limited, so his timeline will be ours. The timeline will be an estimation and delay could well happen.
- it must not cost him anything nor he has to be involved in the providing step. We have to find a way to provide him the speaker, and ship it back wherever afterwards.

Also, in order to be realistic :
- since his cool reviewing toy is Klippel NFS (Near-Field Scanner), the speaker must comply with the NFS limits and be humanly manageable by 1, maybe 2 persons (if Erin can/wants to be helped).
- since Erin is in the US, the speaker must be findable/shippable to US without hassle.
- since the speaker must be provided by the community, it must be a speaker :
* we can convince a manufacturer to have reviewed (some already are)
* we can find someone who has one and agrees to ship it to Erin, either for free or for a compensation
* we can find someone who wants to buy one and agrees to ship it to Erin, either for free or for a compensation
Potential compensation and shipping costs must be gathered/handled by the community if not done by owner/manufacturer.

It this sounds interesting to you, here's how it could run :
- people list a few speakers here. Some are well known, some may not be. It could be useful to motivate your choice, put a link, provide an approximative price.
- after a while (?), we'll make a poll with the most listed speakers.
- given the poll results, Erin validates the speaker to be reviewed (or maybe a few, and the first one we can provide makes it to Erin), and gives us a timeline. Erin's the reviewer, so the choice is his ultimately. He'll probably choose the most requested one, but he may choose any of the speakers polled, or dismiss.
- we do everything we can (contact manufacturers, reach out to owner/potential buyers, gather the necessary funds, etc.) to provide him the speaker within the timeline, knowing what to do with the speaker afterwards.
- Erin reviews the speaker while we wait impatiently. Remember, he doesn't have to do it. However, it has to be believed that, once he agreed on a speaker and a timeline and that we have found a way to provide him the speaker, he'll be engaged in the process of reviewing it.
- Erin ships the speaker back, publishes the review, speaker goes back home, gets international praise, it's Christmas, everyone's happy.

This is a community's driven initiative, everything written above is open to discussion.
Up to you now.

Last edited:

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Barefoot Sound - Footprint 02, it’s almost in my price range (if I squint and shove fingers in my eyes) and seems a logical/illogical upgrade at some point in the future - I just need convincing.

Output/Barefoot Sound - Frontier , half the price of above and I guess half the sound :facepalm: but just look at them, I want these as well.

Last edited:

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
JBL Stage towers, either the A170, A180 or A190. Seeing that the cheaper A130 performed wonderfully in Amir's tests, I wonder how the bigger brothers would fare.

nathan

Would be a world's first to get measurements of some Triad speakers. They have been a darling of the custom home theater industry for nearly two decades, and I cannot see that any of them have ever been subjected to a spinorama.

jonfitch

Dynaudio Confidence 20 because no one seems to have measured this flagship monitor yet.

As far as how to get one...hmm there's a used on on Audiogon if someone has the cash :D

OP
L

lherrm

- Genelec 8351B (7k€) : expected to be one of the best speaker at this price point. Kind of king without the crown here. Probably not much different from already reviewed here 8341 though.
- Genelec 1237A (8.5k€) : the entry Genelec 3 way in a standard box.
- ME Geithain 901K/921K (12k€) : supposed to be a revelation according to the few who heard them. Might be a challenge to get them to US though.
- Grimm Audio LS1v2 (17k€) : same as ME Geithain.
- Magico A3 (16k€) : entry level of the brand, probably a great passive.

Last edited:

Vintage57

Forum Donor
Neumann KH420, not as new in design as the 8C or the Kii. But SOTA.
You gotta hear the clean effortless sound at low and high volumes, especially the bass.
‘I’m confident the measurements will verify the accuracy and lack of distortion.

to quote Amir on the smaller KH310

”I wish I had a second one and time to sit back and listen for hours and hours. Nothing has sounded this impressive and dynamic on my workstation desk. I simply put the speaker on half inch of padding with no messing with alignment and any reason to reach for EQ. And received total, absolute pleasure.”

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...neumann-kh-310a-review-powered-monitor.17723/

Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Triad "Monitor" lines are a good mention: great build quality and drive units, but design integration quality completely unknown because they don't publish anything meaningful. Same could be said for two other CI-focused companies: Leon and James.

The flat Technics coaxes are another.

Daverz

Major Contributor
Vandersteen 2CE Sig II or III. I do not expect it to measure up to ASR expectations, but it's a very popular speaker and thus a good reference point.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
I would like to see measurements of (relatively) expensive, but releatively good selling speakers with high praise by subjective reviews but with a design that we suspect to be less good than scientific designs we know to be good.

I would like to see if they measure as bad as we expect them to when we recommend studio monitors with waveguides or modern dsp-designs to people who really want good sound but are - what we think - misleaded by magazines and traditional dealers.

You know, either traditional designs without waveguides and so on but big promises or odd and expensive designs. I think i have seen some bad measurements of B&W nautilus series, for example - more of that.

CPR

Forum Donor
Grimm LS1
Tekton Ulfberht
Kii Three
Eden Tômei
Geithain RL921K
Linkwitz LX521.4

Top Bottom