• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dynaudio Heritage Special

dfuller

Major Contributor
It's a little uncanny listening to that on a good system @watchnerd because I can literally hear his fingerprints rubbing on the strings... And that is messing with me hardcore.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
It's a little uncanny listening to that on a good system @watchnerd because I can literally hear his fingerprints rubbing on the strings... And that is messing with me hardcore.

Oh, sorry...

That's just a YouTube video someone made of the song I was listening to.

It's not my system, although it sounds just as good. ;)

dfuller

Major Contributor
Oh, sorry...

That's just a YouTube video someone made of the song I was listening to.

It's not my system, although it sounds just as good. ;)
Oh I know, I meant the fact that I can hear his fingerprints is messing with me!

Robmoores1

The adapter plates arrived for my Stand 20's today. Fixed them to the top of the stands and attached the speakers.

There is definitely an improvement to the sound quality - I would say if you are going for the Heritage Specials and the Stand 20's the adapter plates are an essential purchase.

RobS

Forum Donor
I've been reading a lot of praise for the Heritage's midrange and treble performance, but the bass seems to be the area where a few folks are undecided on. It seems it may not have the oomph or impact you would get with a slightly higher midbass elevation?

Was curious if owners of the HS can talk about the bass performance of them and if there are any bass players here that can weigh in too.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I've been reading a lot of praise for the Heritage's midrange and treble performance, but the bass seems to be the area where a few folks are undecided on. It seems it may not have the oomph or impact you would get with a slightly higher midbass elevation?

Was curious if owners of the HS can talk about the bass performance of them and if there are any bass players here that can weigh in too.

Yes, I play both double and electric bass.

From a bass player's POV, I prefer the bass of the Heritage Special to the Contour 20. It sounds like it is tuned to a lower Q, which makes it sound 'tighter', and the details in the upper mid bass seem to come through better, especially on walking bass and traditional pizzicato.

However, for pipe organ and the lower registers of piano, the Contour 20 goes deeper with better scale.

Robmoores1

I have no complaints whatsoever in the bass - it is much tighter and better controlled than on the S40's I had. I would rather have more accurate bass than more bass.

For me, having lived with the HS's for a couple of weeks, this a much more "accurate" speaker than the Special 40's - they are almost monitor like and very revealing of associated equipment. I have not heard the Contour 20 or 20i so not sure how they compare.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I'm going to post something that may sound like addle-brained reefer madness:

These speakers need about 3-5 minutes to warm up if they've been cold for a while.

In theory, I suppose all speakers have a time period to get to intended operating temperature, but it's more noticeable with the Heritage Specials than any other speaker I've owned.

Maybe it's because of the big fat 75 mm voice coil on the woofer?

I thought I was crazy, but it's actually mentioned in the user manual, although I don't think it's specific to the Heritage Special.

"a couple of minutes before every listening session will be helpful to “warm up” the loudspeakers."

Last edited:

RobS

Forum Donor
I think the more you continue to break them in, the less it will need to "warm up". Granted it can take amplifiers a couple of minutes to get to their optimal performance. Maybe the tweeter suspension has to relax?

BTW what is wrong when they have been cold for awhile before your 3-5 minute warmup?

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I think the more you continue to break them in, the less it will need to "warm up". Granted it can take amplifiers a couple of minutes to get to their optimal performance. Maybe the tweeter suspension has to relax?

BTW what is wrong when they have been cold for awhile before your 3-5 minute warmup?

They just sound a little dynamically flat and compressed compared to their full potential.

Nothing harsh or nasty.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

These speakers need about 3-5 minutes to warm up if they've been cold for a while.

In theory, I suppose all speakers have a time period to get to intended operating temperature, but it's more noticeable with the Heritage Specials than any other speaker I've owned.

I thought I was crazy, but it's actually mentioned in the user manual, although I don't think it's specific to the Heritage Special.

"a couple of minutes before every listening session will be helpful to “warm up” the loudspeakers."

By “cold” do you mean “unplayed” or “exposed to low temperatures.” If the latter, see the Neumann KH 80 threads.

Also, I suspect many of us have turntables. Even those of us with Neumanns in at least one system :)

Robmoores1

Doesn't sound strange to me.

One thing I have noted is that after a period of some fluctuation in performance the Heritage Specials are sounding better than ever now.

PLB

They just sound a little dynamically flat and compressed compared to their full potential.

Nothing harsh or nasty.
To be honest haven’t noticed, however I’ve always warmed up my amp with a few songs before a listening session. It makes sense my speakers need to warm up to get to their full potential as well.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
By “cold” do you mean “unplayed” or “exposed to low temperatures.” If the latter, see the Neumann KH 80 threads.

Also, I suspect many of us have turntables. Even those of us with Neumanns in at least one system :)

Unplayed and on a cold day that was freezing outside. Ambient room temp was probably 65 F, but the tile floor is cold to the touch.

RobS

Forum Donor
Has anyone measured the impedance and phase of the Heritage? I'm trying to get info on the lowest and highest impedance. The lowbeats graph is crap, however shows 4.9r nominal with the lowest at 4.86r and highest impedance at 36r. I am trying to do some calculations on damping factor.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Has anyone measured the impedance and phase of the Heritage? I'm trying to get info on the lowest and highest impedance. The lowbeats graph is crap, however shows 4.9r nominal with the lowest at 4.86r and highest impedance at 36r. I am trying to do some calculations on damping factor.

Just for intellectual curiosity?

I don't think I've ever tried to calculate damping factor for a purchasing decision I was going to make.

Top Bottom