• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Hypex NC400 DIY Amp

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, marginal to me is limiting the performance from what a design could do by going with a cheaper power supply. You don't want to get the best that a device is capable of, that is your option. As long as you are happy with that, no problem.

The performance would be even better with an even more powerful supply - where do you draw the line?

Gregss

The performance would be even better with an even more powerful supply - where do you draw the line?
Well, that is a personal choice. What is acceptable to you is not necessarily good enough for everyone.

What I have is a Hypex SMPS that is rated to power three NC400 modules. That gives me about 50% leeway and I consider that more than enough. Supply should not have to work as hard as a smaller one and should run cooler as it is designed for higher currents as well. Both pluses as far as I am concerned. If you are happy with what you have, great. I really like these modules and want them to deliver the very best that they are capable of at any volume. My choice.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What I have is a Hypex SMPS that is rated to power three NC400 modules.

Whereas the SMPS600 is rated to power two.

I really like these modules and want them to deliver the very best that they are capable of at any volume. My choice.

But then you should not be satisfied with just 50% of extra margin (as even that is not enough for continuous peak power - to quote the Hypex data sheet: "The SMPS1200 is designed for music reproduction and is therefore not able to deliver its maximum output power long-term". Why not go for 150% (or 500%) if what you want is "the very best that they are capable of at any volume"? Why settle on a mere 50%?

Gregss

Well, if the SMPS is not capable as you claim, how do you figure your smaller power supply is??? WTF.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, if the SMPS is not capable as you claim, how do you figure your smaller power supply is??? WTF.

That's not what he is saying I think :)

As far as I am concerned, I like my power supplies to have a 42% margin but I can go up to 69% depending on my mood... :facepalm:

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

You seem to think it is a binary choice - "capable / not capable". Let me try an analogy: what is a sufficient size of fuel tank for a car?

Gregss

You seem to think it is a binary choice - "capable / not capable". Let me try an analogy: what is a sufficient size of fuel tank for a car?
No, I got it. You just want to nitpick and argue. Well, I get to decide what is capable for me, not you. Get over yourself.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, I got it. You just want to nitpick and argue. Well, I get to decide what is capable for me, not you. Get over yourself.

So no, you didn't. But never mind. So in addition to the standard audiophile "what is acceptable to you is not necessarily good enough for everyone" you also resort to another audiophile goldie, the ad hominem.

Have a good day!

Gregss

So no, you didn't. But never mind. So in addition to the standard audiophile "what is acceptable to you is not necessarily good enough for everyone" you also resort to another audiophile goldie, the ad hominem.

Have a good day!
Yep and still waiting for anything other than negative comments from you. Like how you would optimize using these modules. But putting down others comments is so much easier. LOL.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep and still waiting for anything other than negative comments from you. Like how you would optimize using these modules. But putting down others comments is so much easier. LOL.

Optimize what, exactly?

By the way, the Dutch have a great retort to "LOL": "LUL!". :)

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Like how you would optimize using these modules.

As far as I am concerned, I stick to the manufacturer's recommendations. I do not delude myself into thinking I can somehow "optimize" B. Putzeys work. It is that simple.

EB1000

As far as I am concerned, I stick to the manufacturer's recommendations. I do not delude myself into thinking I can somehow "optimize" B. Putzeys work. It is that simple.

If you look at the Monoblock DIY kit:

You can see that there is still room for minor tweaks of the internal connections. I've upgraded mine with better internal connections, twisted pair speaker wires and AC wires, added an EMI filter to the AC :

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...ower-filter-230v-10a-with-cables-p-11628.html

I've wrapped the power supply cabled with copper shielded tape, which I connected to chassis ground:

https://www.amazon.com/Conductive-S...1615312762&sprefix=copper+tape,aps,286&sr=8-3

Did it improve the sound? I didn't notice anything. Maybe it improved measurements results.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Hypex datasheet shows the SMPS600 is perfectly fine powering two NC400's.
As far as I know, the idea was to build NC400 mono amps, each with 1 SMPS600 + 1 NC400 in its individual case, as they sell it.

Because looking at the SMPS600 datasheet item 6.2, its output is "only" 550W in 4 ohms 230Vac for 90 seconds with 2 NC400 being powered. While the NC400 datasheet item 2.3 says each module output is 400W at 4 ohms, so 2 modules would output 800W if they could, but 1 single SMPS600 limits them to 550W combined, 275W each.

So 1 SMPS600 does limit the performance, or at least the total power, of 2 NC400 modules.

This is what Amir suggested on his review by the way.

index.php

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So 1 SMPS600 does limit the performance, or at least the total power, of 2 NC400 modules

Indeed. Pretty much any of their power supplies limit the sustained maximum power. The question is how much and under what conditions. Sure, a power supply that is not current-limited in any way and can sustain endless power would be great...

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Indeed. Pretty much any of their power supplies limit the sustained maximum power. The question is how much and under what conditions. Sure, a power supply that is not current-limited in any way and can sustain endless power would be great...
I guess that is why they sell 1 SMPS600 to 1 NC400, to have some headroom for thermal and continuous power.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess that is why they sell 1 SMPS600 to 1 NC400, to have some headroom for thermal and continuous power.

Yes, of course. But you would get even more with an even more powerful supply. The question is - does it matter?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, of course. But you would get even more with an even more powerful supply. The question is - does it matter?
MOAR BASS!! Of course it matters! :D

Gregss

Of course from your postings seems it doesn't matter to you. Those of us who wish to get the very best out of their equipment care about any way we can possibly make a unit even slightly better. You are great at dissing others, but give nothing positive in return. About a useful as tits on a boar.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course from your postings seems it doesn't matter to you. Those of us who wish to get the very best out of their equipment care about any way we can possibly make a unit even slightly better. You are great at dissing others, but give nothing positive in return. About a useful as tits on a boar.

I do care about making stuff better, but I am an engineer - I approach it based on facts, and what matters.

I also tend to believe in a kind of modified version of Godwin's law - if someone has to resort to childish personal attacks, it is a sign that they have run out of rational arguments, and there is no point in continuing the discussion. Have a good day!

Top Bottom