• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SPL Phonitor X Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I seem to recall that this product has been on the market for some time. I think when it came out it might have been closer to the SOTA at that time. But now.... well....

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
........Just proves once again that fabulous looks and a compelling story aren't everything.

They would have been everything, or certainly sufficient, if measurements hadn't ruined it. :confused:

The panther seems to agree as it seems oddly ambivalent considering the horrible test results. If the owner has become disillusioned I will take it off their hands and even pay shipping ;)

digicidal

Major Contributor
Just imagine if there weren't measurements for many of the recent offerings from Topping, SMSL, Okto, RME, etc... The SPL devices just exude quality (aesthetically speaking) - unfortunately they follow the performance of most similarly "stylish audiophile" devices as well. :rolleyes:

In absence of objective analysis, I would definitely assume that this was the best performing of them all - and would want one, even at the premium they charge. It certainly looks far nicer than my DX7 Pro - but that's where the comparisons end unfortunately. With the exception of those VU's - the RME and Okto offerings also look very nice (and at a price around 50% of the SPL here). There's just something more satisfying about analog VU's as opposed to the RME's digital display. Not worth the requisite sacrifice in this case however.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well that is very, very disappointing... :facepalm: I've got to stop letting shiny red things catch my eye. :oops: I purchased it in red because it was the only color they had that was refurbished; I prefer silver. (Really, I do.) It saved me about $800 over new but turned out ot be a bad decision anyway...

I'm going to contact both the seller and SPL and point them to this review and ask for comment. This unit is either still broken or poorly designed. In any case it is not a keeper.

Thanks Amir for the very quick turn around. I wanted it to measure well so badly but alas it was not meant to be. I guess in this price range Benchmark and RME really are it.

Martin

Sanguineus

Do you think there would be a significant difference when using the USB input? It seems to me that typically toslink had worse performance in Amir's tests for many products...

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just imagine if there weren't measurements for many of the recent offerings from Topping, SMSL, Okto, RME, etc... The SPL devices just exude quality (aesthetically speaking) - unfortunately they follow the performance of most similarly "stylish audiophile" devices as well. :rolleyes:

In absence of objective analysis, I would definitely assume that this was the best performing of them all - and would want one, even at the premium they charge. It certainly looks far nicer than my DX7 Pro - but that's where the comparisons end unfortunately. With the exception of those VU's - the RME and Okto offerings also look very nice (and at a price around 50% of the SPL here). There's just something more satisfying about analog VU's as opposed to the RME's digital display. Not worth the requisite sacrifice in this case however.
The manufacturer promo videos are really misleading, implying their independent engineering firm is the core of their success... more like their industrial designers, marketers, and Veblen good consumer behavior.

I suppose if you just have HD800 or similar, and you skip over the DAC, this could be pretty good. They absolutely nail the aesthetic. I love the Silver one.

Edit: here's the video I am thinking about.

Last edited:

respice finem

Major Contributor
SPL is one of the few manufacturers of amplifiers with a crossfeed option.
There are some more, the RME ADI2-DAC has 4 different ones. One el cheapo Behringer has (simple) crossfeed. And last but not least, there's a Meyer crossfeed software plugin for Foobar2000, at the unbeatable price of 0,00$.

Last edited:

respice finem

Major Contributor
Yeah, $2000 for the case, $500 for the meters, and $300 for electronics.
Of the 2,5k Euros price, roughly 30-40% gets "eaten" by direct taxes, alas. As an employer, you have to spend more than double the sums you pay your employees on taxes and health/social security, energy costs >0,30€/kWh and so on. This is the "curse" of companies that stick to manufacturing in Germany, and it isn't getting better.

Last edited:

3125b

Major Contributor
I suppose if you just have HD800 or similar, and you skip over the DAC, this could be pretty good.
I don't know about that, the noise floor is really high and the HD 800 not actually that inefficient.
If I take my Beyerdynamic T90 (same 102dB/V as the HD800), set the output with a 1kHz sine wave as close to 50mV as possible (50.17) and plug in the headphone - it's pretty unpleasant :)
All kidding aside though, that is about the level I'd use for normal listening with those headphones, with some modern pop music with little dynamic range that might even be too loud.
As low as 66dB SNR might very well be audible (?), the JDS Atom gets 92dB at the same level.

The ideal headphone for an amp like this would be something like the old 600 ohm AKG K240 with high impedance and low sensitivity.
In fact, that seems to be the theme here, 90s technology for astronomical prices in 2021.

And last but not least, there's Meyer crossfeed software plugin for Foobar2000, at the unbeatable price of 0,00$.
There seems to be a foobar plugin for literally everything.
And of course EqualizerAPO can do crossfeed too.

respice finem

Major Contributor
...There seems to be a foobar plugin for literally everything.
Foobar is awesome, with MathAudio it can even do advanced DSP. Only the interface is "90s style", but once you get used to it, it works nicely. I've ripped my whole CD collection with it and it's my favourite music player.

Last edited:

UNow42

This is the "curse" of companies that stick to manufacturing in Germany, and it isn't getting better.
But that is also the case for RME. I've bought RME ADI-2 Pro FS (Made in Germany) with more functions (AD/DA), better performance and lower price.
Of course also less "blingbling".
energy costs >0,30€/kWh and so on
No manufacturing company in Germany is spending >0,30€/kWh (nor do I at home).

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Of the 2,5k Euros price, roughly 30-40% gets "eaten" by direct taxes, alas. As an employer, you have to spend more than double the sums you pay your employees on taxes and health/social security, energy costs >0,30€/kWh and so on. This is the "curse" of companies that stick to manufacturing in Germany, and it isn't getting better.
I don't have a problem paying German wages and taxes for a German product, and this is priced acceptably considering the authenticity, construction, and design. The problems are that you can get a far better US-made headphone amp for $99, (Schiit Magni) you can get a far better US-made DAC (Schiit Modi) for $99, and you can get a better generic (PROZOR or whatever) DAC for $15, so maybe $275 with shipping and sales taxes. I don't know about EU prices, but I'm guessing <400 Euros for that stuff... Spend another $100 on a Magnius if you want the XLRs for your monitors. Topping rips this performance apart too, but of course it is made in a low cost location.

Edit: you're not going to need a Modi and a generic DAC, so alternatives are actually a little cheaper.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know about that, the noise floor is really high and the HD 800 not actually that inefficient.
If I take my Beyerdynamic T90 (same 102dB/V as the HD800), set the output with a 1kHz sine wave as close to 50mV as possible (50.17) and plug in the headphone - it's pretty unpleasant :)
All kidding aside though, that is about the level I'd use for normal listening with those headphones, with some modern pop music with little dynamic range that might even be too loud.
As low as 66dB SNR might very well be audible (?), the JDS Atom gets 92dB at the same level.

The ideal headphone for an amp like this would be something like the old 600 ohm AKG K240 with high impedance and low sensitivity.
In fact, that seems to be the theme here, 90s technology for astronomical prices in 2021.

There seems to be a foobar plugin for literally everything.
Fair. I was just thinking about impedance, and assuming typical sensitivity, rather than considering impedance and actual sensitivity, which are what actually determine the output together.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Conveniently, Amir had this hooked up yesterday, so he didn't have to pull out his old Schiit Modi 2 to show how jitter looks in a poorly implemented DAC in his jitter video.

respice finem

Major Contributor
...No manufacturing company in Germany is spending >0,30€/kWh (nor do I at home).
I do at home and at work (GP so only service, no manufacturing), I might pay a little less but if everybody changes the provider to the cheapest, the town's "Stadtwerke" are broke sooner rather than later. As for companies, it depends on size, small ones have to pay "through the nose" AFAIK. Only above a certain size (or energy consumption) they start to profit from the (de facto protectionist) system, but that's OT.
Yes, RME is subject to the same taxes, but I think their production costs are lower, due to their different philosophy - functionality being largely "chip-based" and solid but simple "form follows function" hardware, probably partly wave-soldered boards etc. More integration, less parts. All small things, but they add up.
In my understanding, the local German/EU manufacturers will have to be at least on par with foreign, especially Chinese products, to survive in the long term, and this is increasingly hard.

Last edited:

Zensō

Major Contributor
This is a beautiful device that ticks all of the audiophile boxes: VU meters (!), machined alloy faceplate, discrete components, and lots of hardware switches. It’s no wonder it receives glowing reviews from golden-eared reviewers and owners. Yet sadly, when you pull back the curtain, what we have here is outdated tech that is outperformed by devices at 10-20% of the cost. It goes to show that we often listen more with our eyes than with our ears.

Thanks again for another interesting review!

respice finem

Major Contributor
Comparing it to the RME, the RME is simpler by looks but offers the same or even more comfortable functionality with its new configurable remote. What it doesn't offer is the certain "retro flair".

Top Bottom