• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integrating Video Sources with 2 Channel System

just1n

Forum Donor
First time poster. I've been reading a lot on this site since I stumbled upon it a month or two ago. It's an eyeopening resource. Thank you.

Living in a small, city apartment I'm trying to plan a 2 channel music system integrating video sources and room correction. Flexibility to add a subwoofer or two in the future is a want, not a need. All tv, movies, and music are played through an AppleTV (girlfriend and I) and Fire TV stick (her 5yr old son). I will need to find a way to play my digitized music collection by NAS or maybe even Roon. Usability is a big one because my girlfriend and the little man need to be able to watch TV with ease.

Option 1: Something like a Denon X3700 ticks a lot of boxes and measures well for an AVR but it would put a large chunk of my budget in a single component. I'd have to cut my spending on speakers and end up paying for amplification, extra inputs, and features I don't need. Properly setup, each of the remotes could switch AVR input when powered on/wake from sleep and I would have no Dolby Vision or HDR issues. The option to simply add speakers for surround sound room permitting does sound nice.

Option 2: Put together a DAC/preamp + amp combo connected to my LG OLED by optical out. This would allow my girlfriend and her son to switch video sources easily. I may not save much money, but I would only be paying for what I need and potentially have a better performing system. I do not know where in the signal chain I would add room correction. Side note: I don't fully understand jitter and its sonic consequences, nor have I found information on TV optical output quality. Is this even something worth concerning myself with?

I'll be starting from scratch because my dated AVR and entry level Klipsch floorstanders will not be kept. Not buying speakers until I sort out the equipment needs, but I'm leaning towards ELAC DBR62 on the low end or push for used/open box Revel M105 if I can find them. I did consider a music only solution, but TV speakers are awful to listen to all the time. So much sound is missing it ruins the experience. Even dialogue is lost and makes subtitles almost mandatory. Sometimes I wish I didn't know this forum and it's measurements existed because ignorance would have kept Topping, nCore, Purifi, etc. out of sight, out of mind. Thanks a lot everyone.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

noname33

Hi there,

your primary goal is a 2 channel or 2.1 system for your TV setup. I wouldn't bother spending ALOT of your budget on av receiver unless you want a multichannel surround system setup. If you're current dated avr is a higher end model (1500$ +up retail new; think Denon 3800s series or up example)that's working - I would seriously consider using that as part of your system; it's possible even with 4k tv. I would put more of your budget on speakers. If you're avr is not worth using I would buy a good 2 channel receiver/amp with connections you need-pretty basic. You could just get 2 really good towers with full range power such as Definitive technology bp10s...and save $ not needing a subwoofer.

Be very realistic about what you want and make sure it's fits into your/family lifestyle. I'm not sure why you're so worried a room correction? Forget about that overly technical stuff that's regarding complex multichannel surround setups mainly. Optical digital audio is very good quality sound and can run up to 7.1 dts and dolby digital sound.

Remember a good soundbar and subwoofer setup could be another basic simple option. Note-- Surround system setups are awesome but they require more $ , components, and correct setup+ room placement

In case your wondering
My system setup---bedroom 12X13ft; tv viewing distance 5.5ft

Sony x800e led 4k hdr tv 49", samsung 4k blu ray player + multiple game systems; ps5 soon- june. I use HDMI for all video to get best 4k picture

Audio-- Denon 4802r 7.1 receiver (2004 year), All Definitive technology speakers(7.0) Bp10 towers, clr 2002 center and 4 promonitor 1000 surrounds. Optical digital audio connection used for all audio -dts and dolby digtal; 7.0 setup. Paid only 1200$ total for complete audio system 3.5 years ago. pieced together over 1 year period- all excellent condition-craigsist and ebay. Retail setup value 5k$ in 2004 if purchased new.

Good luck

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Living in a small, city apartment I'm trying to plan a 2 channel music system integrating video sources and room correction. Flexibility to add a subwoofer or two in the future is a want, not a need.
I would be cautious with the addition of a subwoofer or large speakers. The enhanced bass in a city apartment goes right to the adjacent apartments and gets complaints. Perhaps a good set of bookshelf speakers is enough.

noname33

I would be cautious with the addition of a subwoofer or large speakers. The enhanced bass in a city apartment goes right to the adjacent apartments and gets complaints. Perhaps a good set of bookshelf speakers is enough.
Unfortunately " Doodski" is right. if you took my audio system and put it in your apartment you would get evicted very quickly. Remember a good soundbar + possibly? sub combo could also be a good simple/option.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately " Doodski" is right. if you took my audio system and put it in your apartment you would get evicted very quickly. Remember a good soundbar + possibly? sub combo could also be a good simple/option.
I lived in a wood frame construction building for 7 years with a "Daytime party liberal" manager and owner that tolerated tunes cranked up in the early afternoon through the PM hours and my big floor standing Reference KEFs where OK and when I moved to a new concrete building it was 20 minutes in and the manager was at the door with a noise violation. Results vary but bass is a issue for most managers and owners and they won't tolerate it as I found out. :D

OP
J

just1n

Forum Donor
Hi there, your primary goal is a 2 channel or 2.1 system for your TV setup...

Thank you for the feedback, noname33.

I don't upgrade or buy & sell things. Typically I'll spend a lot of time researching with the goal of keeping any purchase as long as possible. The ability to add a subwoofer is not for the immediate future while renting but further down the road when I purchase a home.

My old system is circa 2004: Onkyo tx-sr500 (pre-hdmi), Klipsch SF-2 with matching center, SVS 25-31CS tuned to 22hz, and Cambridge Soundworks surrounds. When I was 18-20yr old I loved it. Now, I'm passing them along to my father for his basement media room. His needs are simpler than mine and he'll just be happy.

Soundbars are a popular solution but not what I'm looking for honestly. I want a nice system where I can sit down with some wine and just truly enjoy music. Room correction is something I've never had, but this forum has really piqued my interest. TV integration is for movie nights with the three of us.

*Edited*

Completely agree, guys. Adding a sub right now is just asking for trouble.

Spitballing, say I grab something like a Topping DX7 pro + NC252MP connected to the tv via optical, would this be practical? It sounds like a weird combo with a TV, but that's the secondary use. Primary would be music through either a Mac mini or old MacBook connected via USB.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Last edited:

noname33

Thank you for the feedback, noname33.

I don't upgrade or buy & sell things. Typically I'll spend a lot of time researching with the goal of keeping any purchase as long as possible. The ability to add a subwoofer is not for the immediate future while renting but further down the road when I purchase a home.

My old system is circa 2004: Onkyo tx-sr500 (pre-hdmi), Klipsch SF-2 with matching center, SVS 25-31CS tuned to 22hz, and Cambridge Soundworks surrounds. When I was 18-20yr old I loved it. Now, I'm passing them along to my father for his basement media room. His needs are simpler than mine and he'll just be happy.

Soundbars are a popular solution but not what I'm looking for honestly. I want a nice system where I can sit down with some wine and just truly enjoy music. Room correction is something I've never had, but this forum has really piqued my interest. TV integration is for movie nights with the three of us.

*Edited*

Completely agree, guys. Adding a sub right now is just asking for trouble.

Spitballing, say I grab something like a Topping DX7 pro + NC252MP connected to the tv via optical, would this be practical? It sounds like a weird combo with a TV, but that's the secondary use. Primary would be music through either a Mac mini or old MacBook connected via USB.

Thanks for the responses guys.
Have you considered just getting a nice pair of over-ear bluetooth headphones ? You could drink your wine and listen to music however you like anywhere. You could even watch movies or tv content via bluetooth paired to TV or wired connection. Even a pair of Sony wh1000xm3 or new xm4(350$) are seriously pretty good at this price. I own xm3 model-paid just over 200$ new. obviously you could spend ALOT more $ and get even better ones. I think it might be best for you to not buy any other stuff until you're in a situation(future ) that allows you to have audio setup you really want.

OP
J

just1n

Forum Donor
@noname33 Fair enough suggestion and I had the same thought especially if I chose a Topping device for private listening. But since we have an AppleTV my girlfriend and I could use our AirPods Pro’s for silently movie watching when the little guy’s asleep. If we have friends or family over and watch a game or movie that’s when I’d be stuck with the TV speakers again.

noname33

@noname33 Fair enough suggestion and I had the same thought especially if I chose a Topping device for private listening. But since we have an AppleTV my girlfriend and I could use our AirPods Pro’s for silently movie watching when the little guy’s asleep. If we have friends or family over and watch a game or movie that’s when I’d be stuck with the TV speakers again.
I still would seriously consider getting a decent reviewed soundbar in 130-250$ price range. There's often many on sale/clearance too. Their much better than lousy TV speakers and simple setup overall. and that would solve your problem with guests coming to your house/tv watching. Why not spend $ on something that bothers/annoys you? It's not much $ anyway; People often spend more $ on 1 Friday night outing than that. Someday you could get the system you want and use the soundbar on a spare room tv etc. Take care

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How about a set of active speakers like KEF LS50 wireless 2?

OP
J

just1n

Forum Donor
OP
J

just1n

Forum Donor
How about a set of active speakers like KEF LS50 wireless 2?

I'll keep actives in mind. I guess I'm worried about electronic/amplification failures and repairability. If I bought passives and the amp died I'd only have to replace the amp. Maybe I'm overly concerned.

Top Bottom