• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Technica ATH-M50X Review (Closed Headphone)

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
BTW - the Marantz MPH-2 that I own look nearly identical to these. So I'm guessing its just a rebrand. The MPH-2 often go on sale at Musicians Friend for $30 (they are normally around $100).
Is there any confirmation about this? Portions bear a passing resemblance, but who knows what's inside.

71WNWRLJCsL._AC_SY550_.jpg
J33425000000000-00-500x500.jpg

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Had these about 5-6 years ago, never really liked them, sold my Sony 7506 cans, which I didn't care for either, to buy them, and sold these not too long after that.
@restorer-john , they have a locking plug, you push in, then turn to lock the cable in, the markings line up when properly plugged in.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi,

I can't find the raw data to calculate the score and have a look at the EQ.
Are you going to post it?
I stopped because I thought no one was using it. Forgot that you were using it for EQ. I will capture and post later.

LightninBoy

Is there any confirmation about this? Portions bear a passing resemblance, but who knows what's inside.

Its speculation on my part. I just pulled the MPH-2 out of my drawer and notice their earpads are round while those on M50X are elongated. Also, while the published specs are very similar but - and this is a big but - the driver sizes are a bit different: 45mm vs 50mm:

MPH-2 Specs
  • • Operating Principle: Closed-back Headphone
  • • Transducer Type: Dynamic
  • Driver Diameter: 50mm
  • • Impedance: 32ohm
  • • Sensitivity: 100±3d
  • • Rating Power: 300mw
  • Frequency Response: 10Hz-30kHz

ATH-m50X Specs
  • over-the-ear, closed-back design offers noise isolation for studio recording
  • 45mm dynamic drivers offer exceptional clarity and deep bass response
  • includes three detachable cables (with twist-lock 2.5mm sub-mini terminals at the headphone):
    • 118" straight cable with miniplug connector
    • 47" to 118" coiled cable with miniplug connector
    • 47" straight cable for portable use
  • 1/4" adapter included for connecting to pro gear
  • earcups swivel and rotate for single-ear use
  • folding design for compact storage
  • carry pouch included
  • frequency response: 15-28,000 Hz
  • sensitivity: 99 dB
  • impedance: 38 ohms
  • weight: 10 oz.
BTW, the MPH-2 also has the twist lock input jack - but 3.5mm instead of 2.5mm. It does look like the internals are different. The MPH-2 has other brand derivatives: LyxPro HAS-30 and Freeboss MDH9000. So maybe the factory Audio Technica hired to build the ATH-50x tweaked the design and supplied that to other brands. Or maybe a supplier just decided to copy the ATH-50x.

phoenixsong

Agree completely. It is just that it seems that the listening is more important for headphones and speakers, than for dac and amplifiers, - maybe because the technology for the last air-moving equipment is still relatively far from perfect.
That's because they are subject to more variables- seal, isolation, external noise, listening levels, listening distance, room reflections and room temperature even, which have an effect on distortion levels and frequency response preferences etcetera

Maiky76

Frequency response data added to the review post.

Here are some thoughts about the EQ and a remark about @amirm preferences.

Notes about the EQ design:
  • The average L/R is used to calculate the score.
  • The resolution is 12 points per octave interpolated from the raw data (provided by ASR)
  • A Genetic Algorithm is used to optimize the EQ.
  • The EQ Score is designed to MAXIMIZE the Score WHILE fitting the Harman target curve with a fixed complexity.
    This will avoid weird results if one only optimizes for the Score.
    It will probably flatten the Error regression doing so, the tonal balance should be more neutral.
  • The EQs are starting point and may require tuning (certainly at LF low-shelf and at HF high-shelf).
  • The range above 10kHz is usually not EQed unless smooth enough to do so.
  • I am using PEQ (PK) as from my experience the definition is more consistent across different DSP/platform implementations than shelves.
  • With some HP/amp combo the boosts and preamp gain need to be carefully considered to avoid issues
Good L/R match.
I have generated one EQ, the APO config files are attached.

Score no EQ: 61.4
Score Armirm EQ: 59.1
Score with EQ: 92.9
ATH-M50X Dashboard.png

I have noticed that @amirm seems to prefer EQing the headphone to a descending slope 6-9dB from 40Hz to 10kHz.
this is more noticeable on the following headsets:
- Beyer T1
- AKG K371
- Fidelio X2HR
- NAD HPS50
- DCA Aeon RT

I have recalculated the score by modifying the Harman curve to +3dB LF and -1.5dB at HF
Both mods are within what we should expect in terms of individual "taste" according to @Sean Olive.
The results seems to better correlate with amirm track record in any case.
Interestingly enough the scores are modified as following:
Score no EQ: 75.9 (big bump there)
Score Armirm EQ: 77.5
Score with EQ: 89.1

This time the EQ devised by Amirm does show an improvement, albeit minor, contrary to the case in which the default target curve is used.
In addition, there is a better correlation between his EQ and the "optimal" target curve in particular in the 1-6kHz range.
The EQ I generated might sound too bright for him...

Conclusion?
Amirm seems to like a bit more bass and bit less HF than the majority, big deal...
Can it be related to his loudspeaker preference (i.e. PIR slope)?

Here is the data with the modified Target curve:
ATH-M50X Dashboard LF+3dB HF-1.5dB.png

Attachments

• ATH-M50X APO EQ Score 96000Hz.txt
    441 bytes · Views: 327
Last edited:

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had original ATH-M50, they were very uncomfortable and even painful to wear. I don't remember much about their sound to be honest. When I was selling them, somewhere around 6 years ago, that man was very happy during the listening test and bought them instantly with a big smile. If my price wasn't low it would be too shameful to remember.
I have the M50 and I find it painful to wear as well.

Stuj

I have the Bluetooth version of these that I used when exercising, a little bass heavy but for the price I thought it wasn’t a bad deal.

fabius

The covering on the headband on my old M50s cracked and started peeling so I re-covered it with iron-on hemming tape, heated with a hair-dryer (instead of ironing). It’s functional rather than beautiful!

4E159F1C-17A1-4A98-8149-356021C1218A.jpeg

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I thought about using some handlebar tape. It comes in a vast range of colours, textures and patterns , so you could get pretty creative if you wanted and a single pack of bar tape would probably be enough for 5 or 6 sets of headphones.

iu

samwell7

I thought about using some handlebar tape. It comes in a vast range of colours, textures and patterns , so you could get pretty creative if you wanted and a single pack of bar tape would probably be enough for 5 or 6 sets of headphones.

iu
You can also buy zip-up/snap-on headband covers for them, they look fairly nice and are padded, they're around 10-15AUD I think I might get one for my M50 as the headband is very flakey after all these years: headband cover

Edit: I might try handlebar tape for my Koss KSC75s!

dtaylor39

Any reccomendations for replacement earpads that don't change the sound? I bought some velour pads along with a wool headband cover for my peeling brown/blue m50x, and much of the bass is gone. Non peeling pleather is best I think but any firm recommendations?

samwell7

Any reccomendations for replacement earpads that don't change the sound? I bought some velour pads along with a wool headband cover for my peeling brown/blue m50x, and much of the bass is gone. Non peeling pleather is best I think but any firm recommendations?
Brainwavz make specific replacement pads for the M50, I'm using some of their standard pads on the M50 and I haven't noticed a huge change. Genuine replacement pads are fairly readily available also, any non-genuine pads will change sound to some degree

dtaylor39

Brainwavz make specific replacement pads for the M50, I'm using some of their standard pads on the M50 and I haven't noticed a huge change. Genuine replacement pads are fairly readily available also, any non-genuine pads will change sound to some degree
Thanks, the brainwavz reviews on amazon uk indicate a significant change in sound profile. Maybe oem replacements are the way to go but disappointed how quickly they went flaky.

rdo

The ProStock Faux Leather should be closest, but i haven't tryed them. I have the angled sheep skin, but it has too much bass for my taste. Then i've got the suede gaming pads, and they are better for me

samwell7

Thanks, the brainwavz reviews on amazon uk indicate a significant change in sound profile. Maybe oem replacements are the way to go but disappointed how quickly they went flaky.
Interesting, are they talking about the standard oval pads or the pads specifically for the M50? I just got the standard ones and the sound is a little different, if I get time I might compare the two and write some notes I tried to do one pad of each at a time when I changed them but the volume was too different.
My original pads are still okay and they'd be around 8 years old, are the newer pads not as good?

Rockfella

Forum Donor
Thanks Amir. now the M40x please :)

Top Bottom