• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Please suggest a dac for Schiit Asgard 3!!

NiladriDe

Hi all,

Warm regards from India. This is my first post here. Let me tell first that audio products are not available to a great extent in our country. Luckily, I have my cousin studying at Princeton University and I can get something from USA when he returns this year.

I already read good reviews (great reviews to be precise) about Schiit Asgard 3 and ordered it. Now, initially, I also ordered separate multibit dac with it but after reading reviews in this forum, I cancelled that order. I require suggestion regarding what dac I should use with the amp.

Currently, I am having HD660s headphones with Fiio K5 pro. I will sell off the Fiio once I get the new combo.

Previously, I have used HD598, HD599, Beyerdynamic DT990 pro 250 ohm, Audio Technica AD900x. Previously, I have used dac / amps like SoundBlasterX G6 and Maverick D1. Let me tell you that I enjoyed my Maverick D1 + DT 990 combo the most. But the dac went bad and after that I did not get the same amount of performance again.

Probably, this is going to be my last investment for at least 4 5 years in audio equipment, I want to make it worthy. Budget is no more than $250.

Thanks,

Niladri.

beren777

Please consider a Topping D10s unless you have a specific need for additional functionality.

OP
N

NiladriDe

Thanks for your reply. Will the dac be good enough with Asgard? Also I do not need loads of functions. Just a digital to analog converter I will use usb mostly

OP
N

NiladriDe

Also, can I use the k5pro as dac only with the amp,? Will it be good enough?

OP
N

NiladriDe

Thanks for replying. I have read the review and it's in the recommended list. But will it be significantly better than k5pro as dac only? Or k5pro dac chip will be good enough for Asgard?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for your reply. Will the dac be good enough with Asgard? Also I do not need loads of functions. Just a digital to analog converter I will use usb mostly

Very much good enough, If you want a remote control and ability to change volume with it on the DAC, look to the E30 from Topping. Invaluable if you are sitting away from the amp so need to get up to change volume. But the D10s will do fine if you plan to change volume at the amp.

OP
N

NiladriDe

Thanks for your reply. Hence, I can conclude that both E30 and D10s dacs are significantly better than Fiiok5 pro as dac, right? In that case I can easily sell the k5pro and buy either of them.

OP
N

NiladriDe

Well I just checked specs of e30 and it has the same ak4493 dac chip as k5 pro. Still e30 will be significantly better?

threni

Major Contributor
Very much good enough, If you want a remote control and ability to change volume with it on the DAC, look to the E30 from Topping. Invaluable if you are sitting away from the amp so need to get up to change volume. But the D10s will do fine if you plan to change volume at the amp.
I have the Asgard 3, HD 660S and E30 and they are great. (I hear no difference between the E30 and the non-multibit DAC module for the Asgard but it's nice to have a remote and also be able to plug in some EQ between DAC and amp).

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for your reply. Hence, I can conclude that both E30 and D10s dacs are significantly better than Fiiok5 pro as dac, right? In that case I can easily sell the k5pro and buy either of them.

Id be surprised if you could tell the difference between the 3 if you shut your eyes and matched the output levels. Best bet is try the K5 as you DAC at first . A modern DAC is the last place in the chain to look for improvement. Sorry, I missed that was an option.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I just checked specs of e30 and it has the same ak4493 dac chip as k5 pro. Still e30 will be significantly better?

See my reply before this- keep the k5

OP
N

NiladriDe

Thanks a lot my friend. I will see if I can sell the k5pro for good price then only I will get e30 only, for the remote, of course. :)
I wonder was I getting the woomph from my Maverick D1 due to dac or amp, I never enjoyed music that much after getting other dac amps. I hope Asgard 3 will be able to fulfill my desire.

OP
N

NiladriDe

Btw, I want to tell that I tried Fiio btr5 before with hd660s and I could tell the difference between k5pro and btr5, I found btr5 being more cleaner, smoother and to my liking than k5pro, it seems flat to me. But btr5 lacked power.

OP
N

NiladriDe

I have the Asgard 3, HD 660S and E30 and they are great. (I hear no difference between the E30 and the non-multibit DAC module for the Asgard but it's nice to have a remote and also be able to plug in some EQ between DAC and amp).

Thanks for your reply. I ordered separate multibit dac earlier but after viewing this forum, I cancelled my order. May be I will get e30 for the remote, but still I think I prefer ESS dac chips more than ak4493.

garbulky

Major Contributor
The general consensus on this forum is that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between almost any dac on the market. It's not been my experience, but that's where this reccomendation is coming from.

OP
N

NiladriDe

Sure, thanks a lot but I did find the sound in btr5 more liking than current k5pro. Not sure though why. As you are saying, I must have done something awkward to find the difference. I am not sure though.

garbulky

Major Contributor
Sure, thanks a lot but I did find the sound in btr5 more liking than current k5pro. Not sure though why. As you are saying, I must have done something awkward to find the difference. I am not sure though.
Well I'm not saying that. I think I hear differences in dacs and so do you. I'm just telling you that's where their advice is coming from...

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You could buy a new DAC and Asgard 3 but it's not going make a world of difference with the K5 Pro. K5 Pro is not a bad DAC/AMP combo especially considering the price.

I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't buy gear, that the decision is for you to take. I just hope you have realistic expections on what that new combo brings to the table. You're going to be pretty disappointed if you expect a day and night difference IMHO.

OP
N

NiladriDe

Thanks to all of you for your replies. Well I think I am missing something in my current set up, the clarity, details and dynamics that I used to have with my first dac amp set up and dt990 pro. Right now, I have a feeling that the sound is compressed and I did not feel like that even when using btr5. Hence, I want something similar to that sound and for power I have Asgard 3.

Btw, will D10s have filters like btr5 has?

Top Bottom