• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's the deal with mid-tier closed headphones?

zepplock

I'm looking for a pair of closed (wired, good isolation, great comfort for 8+ hours a day) mid tier $200-$500 headphones.
I have plenty of amps/dacs to power anything (massdrop 789, O2, etc) and can use EQ if needed.
Music preferences are pretty wide: rock, jazz, folk, classical.

I already have open akg701, hifiman he560, dt990. What would be comparable in terms of sound quality?

So far I see at the top range dt1770 (even though it's a $600 can, but sometimes on sale for $500), the question is, what else?

OP
zepplock

zepplock

Ok so I tried k371 for a month, and I had to return it back to Amazon. It's a very good set but didn't work for me:
- too small for my ears
- get pretty hot after 1+ hour, even in AC room.
- they slide off my head, I tried to adjust the clamping force, it's either too strong and I get a headache, or not enough and the slide.

Anyway, so with an exception of Shure 1540, what else should I try? Also maybe dt880?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Also maybe dt880

DT880 is open.

The K371 sounds great.
Sound quality, alas, is not the only relevant aspect for headphones :( The K371 is lacking in some other important aspects and is why I did not keep mine.

Last edited:

markanini

Major Contributor
Shure SRH 440 didn't sound bad at all when I demoed them. AKG K371 would be a safe bet though as far as sound quality goes.

Some headphones I hope to try soon: Beyerdynamic Custom One Plus, Sennnheiser PXC550-II, NAD Viso HP70.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Sorry but I don't know any open or closed design hedaphones which I would like to be on my head for a 8+ h daily perhaps would tolerate open earbuds for that long if I must.
AKG 371 is a safe bet and you can try to make them more comfortable with other earpads which fit's you. Regarding headband design and comfort Philips had couple models (SHD8800 alike) but nothing sounding good enough to recommend.

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Most comfortable
1. Audioquest Nightowls
2. Sony WH-1000XM3

Second you need to eq :p

buz

Forum Donor
Most comfortable
1. Audioquest Nightowls
2. Sony WH-1000XM3

Second you need to eq :p
I would not want to wear sony wh-1000xm* for 8 hours straight, too hot. With breaks in between probably ok, though.
I have denon d2000 somewhere, those would be OK but not terribly well isolated. I think isolation comes at the price of comfort. I would probably look at iem instead.

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would not want to wear sony wh-1000xm* for 8 hours straight, too hot. With breaks in between probably ok, though.
I have denon d2000 somewhere, those would be OK but not terribly well isolated. I think isolation comes at the price of comfort. I would probably look at iem instead.
I wear them for 4-5 hours which is okay. Isolation is a 10/10 though. You always got to make compromises, especially with closed backs.

3125b

Major Contributor
Good closed backs can be hard to find.

With EQ I'd recommend the Sennheiser HD569, but the factory tuning is not great. They can be comfortable for long sessions due to microfibre pads (as opposed to pleather), plus you could put other Sennheiser 500 series pads on. The ear cups aren't huge, but generally deep enough due to the angled drivers.

If you like your DT 990, the 770 could be an option, maybe even the Custom Studio if they are still available where you live (officially discontinued).

The newer Beyer models with the interchangeable cables seem to have somewhat of a quality control issue with the internal wiring, don't know if that means mich in practice, just be aware of that.

Talking about quality issues, have a look at the Focal Elegia. If you can find them on sale (don't pay too much, they're probably not gonna last forever) with full warranty, they are a very pleasent sounding option.

OP
zepplock

zepplock

DT880 is open.

The K371 sounds great.
Sound quality, alas, is not the only relevant aspect for headphones :( The K371 is lacking in some other important aspects and is why I did not keep mine.

I know those are not closed, well DT880 is semi-open officially. I'm struggling to find good closed cans that's why I mentioned 880.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It's open, not as open as say an LCD2 though. In a practical sense it is an open headphone.
'semi-open' part is the cotton disc with the hole in the middle between the driver and the cup. It let's in outside noises and people around you can hear what is playing. I have 2 DT880's. I think they are great for the money once you remove the treble peak.

http://www.diyaudioblog.com/2011/12/recabling-pair-of-beyerdynamic-dt880.html
recabling-pair-of-beyerdynamic-dt880.html

Top Bottom