• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Academy Oscars 2018

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
In just few hours millions of people are going to tune in @ the biggest Hollywood show.
I know you guys all love movies too. And that's what it's all about...movies, the best of 2017.
The Academy voters, over 5,000 members have already voted and the compilation of their votes are already in sealed envelopes inside a locked suitcase. ...Like a safe that nobody can break the code.. similar to bitcoin.

Saying that we are excited is an understatement.

I won't be there in person with my tux and polished black leather boots. Yes, I'm a boot man, I hate shoes.

I was thinking about asking who your favorites are and who you think are going to be the winners, but I thought twice about it and we all love surprises. I was thinking about posting some photographs and videos, and I might. I'll let myself follow the flow of my own instinct of the moment.

But I cannot end this post without mentioning this; I'm into films and music, big time.
Some films I really liked in 2017 which are nominated in one category or more:
- Dunkirk (Drama based on a real history event, a big one)
- Blade Runner 2049 (Sci-Fi)
- Coco (PIXAR animation)
- A Fantastic Woman (Foreign)
- Abacus: Small Enough to Jail (Documentary)
- Icarus (Documentary)
- Get Out (Comedy/Horror)
- Mudbound (Drama/Historical Period Time)

I've seen few more from the nominations, but the ones above are my striking ones.
And I missed some too, like 'The Shape of Water' and 'Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri'.

* The film with the most nominations (13) and from one of my favorite filmmakers (Guillermo del Toro), I did not see ('The Shape of Water'). How could I not! Life is like a mystery sometime when it comes to movies; the timing doesn't always coincide with the space we live in...
Anyway, that film might win a golden statuette or two. Hard to tell when you missed some of the best in life...

** As for 'Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri'; I've read few good things, so watch out if someone from that film doesn't also get a golden statuette.

That's it for now folks, if films are one of your things don't be shy sharing some.

Cheers and enjoy the show @ the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, USA. ...Starting in roughly three hours from now. Dress sharp, look the code, keep the edge.

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am way behind in movie watching. Have a number of those movies on UHD Blu-ray but no time to watch yet.

My partner in LA is an academy member and voter. This year though due to being sick I have not touched base with him to see what his favorites are.

I am not sure if I will watch the show Bob so keep us posted on the best goodies in there! :)

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
I will make it very simple, without fanfare and without what's going on behind the curtains.

The films that I mentioned above; every time they won an Oscar, no matter what category, I will put one ◙ equal to one Oscar.

* The films I saw:

Icarus:
◙ Best Documentary Feature /// It was one of the best documentaries I saw last year, so I'm happy here, very. Highly Recommended.

Dunkirk:
◙ Best Sound Editing /// I'm very good with that, excellent.
◙ Best Sound Mixing /// I'm very good with that too, excellent.
◙ Best Film Editing /// I'm good with that too ('Dunkirk' made one of the best impressions in 2017 from my cinema red book). Excellent!

A Fantastic Woman:
◙ Best Foreign Language Film /// Hypnotic from the main character...it deserves it. Not for everyone, but for me with my film background...100% fantastic!

Coco:
◙ Best Animated Feature /// It certainly was, simply the best, and emotional too. No contest.
◙ Best Original Song ("Remember Me") /// Cool, I remember them too.

Blade Runner 2049:
◙ Best Visual Effects /// I am very happy with that, the tremendous work that went into it is right onscreen for everyone to see. It's a moving experience for the eyes.
Best Cinematography (Roger A Deakins) /// That's a big one. I first picked 'Dunkirk', but in the last few days I opted for 'Blade Runner 2049'. Highly Recommended, a tour-de-force in compositions, lights, colors, fluidity, ...a visual feast...a masterpiece for all the various decor sets lighted with expert eyeball/vision...a genius of cinematography.

Get Out:
◙ Best Original Screenplay (Jordan Peele) /// That was a heck of a ride, I'm very happy with that win.
_____

* The films I did not see but I did mention:

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri:
◙ Best Supporting Actor (Sam Rockwell) /// I like Sam.
◙ Best Actress (Frances McDormand) /// I wouldn't like to be her dentist (I saw a clip).

The Shape of Water:
◙ Best Production Design /// From the several clips I saw, it was no contest. 'Blade Runner 2049' was also good in that department, and so was 'Mother!'
By the way, a Canadian trio team did the production design for 'The Shape of Water'.
Best Original Score (Alexandre Desplat) /// That's a big one...the Music ♫
◙ Best Director (Guillermo del Toro) /// I love that guy, I'm really happy for his win.
Best Picture /// Way to go Guillermo & team! The top Oscars, Best Picture & Director.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
The final tally

A quick reminder of the night's biggest winners...

• The Shape Of Water - 4 (Gold)
  • Dunkirk - 3 (Silver)
  • Blade Runner 2049 - 2 (Bronze)
  • Coco - 2 (Diamond)
  • Darkest Hour - 2 (Rock)
  • Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - 2 (Paper)
http://www.bbc.com/news/live/entertainment-arts-43256273

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor

Cosmik

Major Contributor

Phelonious Ponk

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I love movies, but I’ve never been able to sit through the Oscars. I do pay attention to what won, when it’s all over, take it as recommendations. I guess I’m going to have to see 3 Billboards and The Shape of Water.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
I know very little about show business and fame, but one thing I have worked out: if you are in the public eye you need to let people go ahead and project onto you the fantasies they have about you. Telling people what you really think - or even worse, what you think they want to hear - can only lose you fans; it won't gain you any.

Just reading about the NFL and their similar plummeting ratings, and it's amazing how few articles are prepared to discuss one rather obvious factor - that all the erstwhile fans seem to mention in the comments.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
I guess I’m going to have to see 3 Billboards and The Shape of Water.

Same here Tim. And coming real soon too, one is already on the shelf...'Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri'.
Time is all I need.

'Darkest Hour' is also on the shelf.
'The Shape of Water' is coming soon...next week...March thirteen.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Do you have some scientific add-ons to go with that, Cosmic?
No, it'll have to remain a wild guess.

It's just an observation that if your business is that of selling the public a carefully-crafted feelgood fantasy, it probably doesn't pay to associate it with misery, victimhood and cruelty.

Film and sport are busily telling the paying fans that they have previously been sold a lie, and they should even feel guilty for having enjoyed what they paid for!

If you have loved Hollywood's output all your life, and now you are told that "Things are gonna change!" you may, quite justifiably, approach Hollywood's future output with a degree of scepticism that it can ever be as good as it was before. You will be on edge, waiting for the preaching to start; seeing it where it doesn't exist. A delicate equilibrium that was based on nothing more substantial than a fantasy has been destroyed.

Reading NFL fans' comments, many of them are finding that there's other stuff they can do with their time and money - that doesn't remind them of their guilt for existing.

Last edited:
OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
It's the simplest movie thread I ever started. ...No philosophy, no psychology, no economy, no social distinctions, no political affiliations, no nothing but movie entertainment. ...Motion pictures for the eyes and technical emotions, plus music scores for the ears and mind synchronicity. The art of movie making in motion pictures and sounds from cameras and orchestras.

A song is a story, a film is a story. A director has a story, an actor/actress conveys that story, a spectator infiltrates that story. It's all part of the movie experience, just like setting up a hi-fi sound system, and playing our favorite tunes.

Last edited:

Cosmik

Major Contributor
No philosophy, no psychology, no economy, no social distinctions, no political affiliations, no nothing but movie entertainment.
Someone should tell the people at the Oscars. (I don't mind the philosophy...:)).

Top Bottom