• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F226Be vs. F328Be

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I have decided to "treat myself" and change out my JBL HDI's for Revel Performa Be series. I am thinking of going with the F226Be's as my usage is mainly HT with a very capable sub and when doing 2ch listening I also use the sub.

I've seen Amir's review of the F328Be and was mainly curious: is there any reason to think the overall measured performance (aside from low end measurements/listening impression) to be different between the 226 and 328? From my understanding the technologies, build, implementation, etc are nearly identical with the woofer size and numbers being the only difference.

Thanks!

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
You have subs. Save the money and get the F226Be. The only fault I could find with them (review shown below) was they need a sub below about 50Hz, if I recall correctly. Otherwise, they are fantastic speakers. I just see no reason to pay more for the larger version when the only improvement would be in the lower frequency and you already own subwoofers to handle that duty.

https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/revel_f226be/

nerdoldnerdith

You have subs. Save the money and get the F226Be. The only fault I could find with them (review shown below) was they need a sub below about 50Hz, if I recall correctly. Otherwise, they are fantastic speakers. I just see no reason to pay more for the larger version when the only improvement would be in the lower frequency and you already own subwoofers to handle that duty.

The F328Be isn't even full range, so you need a sub for it as well.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

They sure are purty. Maybe I should paint my cones white and pretend my tweeters are beryllium,

jonfitch

Those white cones really stick out. Makes me keep the grills on. It would have been nice if they were a darker tone like the Ultima2's grey

nerdoldnerdith

The F328 has a newer waveguide. However, looking at Erin’s & Amir’s measurements, I don’t immediately see much difference. So yeah, save the money and get the F226Be.
How much improvement is there really left to be made with the waveguide? You'd figure that after 5 generations they would have gotten it pretty much as good as they are going to get it. Any improvements made after that should be very minor at best.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How much improvement is there really left to be made with the waveguide? You'd figure that after 5 generations they would have gotten it pretty much as good as they are going to get it. Any improvements made after that should be very minor at best.
Of course if Wilson made a waveguide.....

Reactions: 617

warthor

The F328be is in a class of its own. It is basically the top of the line speaker from Revel at the moment according to one interview from Audioholics.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
The F328be is in a class of its own. It is basically the top of the line speaker from Revel at the moment according to one interview from Audioholics.
An Interview with Jim Garrett, Senior Director of Product Strategy at Harman

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I think you mean top of the list of speakers Revel wants you to buy from them ;)

warthor

But is it?

Here is the interview with Jim Garrett, Senior Director of Product Strategy at Harman (he talks on this topic from 1:03 to 1:13).

He owns both speakers (Salon 2 and F328Be). He clearly states the F328be is their top of the line product. Nonetheless, its quite an interesting video and worth watching.

I think you mean top of the list of speakers Revel wants you to buy from them ;)

No doubt about that! I am certain $16,000 carries a nice profit for everyone in the pipeline.

robpbg

I'm considering the F226be or the Paradigm Persona 3F ... does anyone know of any good reviews/measurements for the 3F? 5F?
My ears tell me the midrange is far more clear on the 3Fs vs F226be .... but also that it is a little "bitey" <-- that's a technical term BTW.
I currently have Revel F32s.

Also, does anybody have a short list of AVRs and/or processors that have a higher than 12db high pass filter? 24db plus? The THX encouraged 12db was intended for speakers designed to roll off at 80 - really not ideal with floor standers.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Descartes

Major Contributor
I listened to the 3F and to me they were very bright! Never heard the Revel

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How big is your room? This is an important consideration.

It is true that one can always fill in the bottom octave with a subwoofer.

But it’s not just about sub-bass region. It’s the bass region 60-250Hz; what I call the power region. The left hand of the piano. The power of the electric guitar. It gives the authority to the music.

In scientific/objective terms- higher SPL, less power compression;; lower non-linear distortion (see attached)- in this -all- important range.
References: 1. ASR F328Be review
2. ErinsAudioCorner.com F226Be review.

So all things equal; speakers with 3x8” woofers are going to beat the 2x 6”, which is going to beat a speaker with a single 5”; even if all three can draw a spinorama down to 60Hz.

If you want to listen at music at close to live-like levels; and I mean hitting 100+dB transients from the LP; the bigger speaker will be better.

Basically cleaner, clearer and louder.

Its true that the value equation is a different matter.
what’s the price differential in USA?

Attachments

• 1BDEF409-8EF8-4B9E-A841-FBDE11A2E2F6.jpeg
    1BDEF409-8EF8-4B9E-A841-FBDE11A2E2F6.jpeg
    450.1 KB · Views: 202
  • D52E3D37-C368-4C11-A939-309E9C339427.jpeg
    D52E3D37-C368-4C11-A939-309E9C339427.jpeg
    158.5 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:

blestin

If you plan on using your speakers for mainly music and do not care for reference level volume consider the Philharmonic BMR / Tower.

I liked the F226be a lot but for mainly music listening it may not be worth $5000-$6000.

nerdoldnerdith

If you plan on using your speakers for mainly music and do not care for reference level volume consider the Philharmonic BMR / Tower.

I liked the F226be a lot but for mainly music listening it may not be worth $5000-$6000.
Have you heard both?

Top Bottom