• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M33 Streaming Amplifier Review

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
@SIY - I subscribed and can't seem to find your review on the Audio Xpress website. What's the title and is it searchable?

The M33 review isn’t out yet. And not all the reviews from the magazine make it online. So subscribe!

The related M10 review is up.

pdxaudio

Hi PDXAudio,

out of curiosity, when you tried the Node 2i connected to M33 through coax, apart from cutting off the first song bits, did you notice any sound improvements compared to streaming the same tracks via the M33 alone ?

Im asking because I tried the same set up and the sound always sounded a bit fuller and more "complete" when streaming from the Node 2I into the M33.
I didn’t really notice any difference streaming directly from M33 vs Node 2i connected through coax but I also didn’t spend too much time comparing them.

pdxaudio

I’m curious about the remote control. I am disappointed to hear that one can’t access the menu and change settings, but I would like to know more specifics. Turn Dirac on and off and/or switch between saved curves? Switch between inputs easily (without having to cycle through all of them)? Playback controls for streaming? Ability to switch between information displayed on the screen? Control other devices (possibly not made by NAD)?

One assumes it can control the volume. The touchscreen, to me, seems more valuable for the information it shows than as a way to interact with the device.
The remote doesn’t do too much, you can control volume, play/stop and skip tracks. You can switch inputs easily with 1 through 9 buttons. BluOS app lets you control some more stuff but not everything, for example you can’t change the display view for different sources or control Balance, you have to do those through the touchscreen. One thing that the remote does that you can’t do with the app is put the M33 into Standby.

EB1000

I was on the fence with the M33, now I'll stick to my C658 which is connected to dual mono Hypex NC400 amps and MiniDSP 2X4 HD for subwoofer level adjustment. I also added a Xiami MiPad on top of it running Bluos app with always screen on for max M33 experience...

Here’s how to imbalance speakers in Dirac Live Stereo, eg -3dB left speaker.

When doing volume calibration, decrease gain of eg left speaker with -3dB. The Dirac calibration tool will automatically adjust for this imbalance during measurements. This will be visible in the Dirac Live Processor (gain compensation).
Disable gain compensation to enable the imbalance.

View attachment 114109
Hi, Thanks for your help.
But with the M33 there is no possibility to disable Gain Compensation, I think.
I asked Dirac about my problems and they suggested to create 2 different target curves. One normal for the right and one -3db for the left chanel... Not a very easy way to proceed but I tested it and it works.
I thinks with a miniDSP SHD it would be possible to compensate this balance issue while decreasing the output level of the left channel by 3db.

When you use Dirac, it adjusts the volume for each channel to balance them at the measured positions. When dirac is active, it overrides any manual balance settings; this is the only logical way for it to work. If you turn off Dirac, you’ll be able to manually adjust balance.
Thanks, but while measurement and filter-calculation this is logical.
But after this, why not decrease the level of one channel manualy?

Maru

I was on the fence with the M33, now I'll stick to my C658 which is connected to dual mono Hypex NC400 amps and MiniDSP 2X4 HD for subwoofer level adjustment. I also added a Xiami MiPad on top of it running Bluos app with always screen on for max M33 experience...

Actually I do advice to try the M33, it is a all in one very good unit and it will replace all your components. Like for any amps or hifi equipment the final quality depends on the speaker room combination and your taste as well.

Peacemaker

Actually I do advice to try the M33, it is a all in one very good unit and it will replace all your components. Like for any amps or hifi equipment the final quality depends on the speaker room combination and your taste as well.
I've had and used a M33 for two weeks. It's a very nice unit and what it does it does very well. For me though, while listening and using it, I found myself questioning the value proposition of it. I just couldn't see $5K of value in it for me. I also began to question if it would hold its value in the long term after seeing a new M33 sell on that auction site for around $3400. That's a tremendously steep drop for such a new product.

So for me, I decided to return my unit.

fcracer

Forum Donor
I've had and used a M33 for two weeks. It's a very nice unit and what it does it does very well. For me though, while listening and using it, I found myself questioning the value proposition of it. I just couldn't see $5K of value in it for me. I also began to question if it would hold its value in the long term after seeing a new M33 sell on that auction site for around $3400. That's a tremendously steep drop for such a new product.

Which auction site has the M33 sale? I have a friend that is desperately looking for an M33 with them being sold out in his country until at least April. Would be great to find a comparable unit for him. I’m surprised anyone would sell a high demand item for such a low price.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Which auction site has the M33 sale? I have a friend that is desperately looking for an M33 with them being sold out in his country until at least April. Would be great to find a comparable unit for him. I’m surprised anyone would sell a high demand item for such a low price.
I was told that the unit I was using was the only review sample in the US. So there’s now a tangible connection between Kal and me.

Hear Here

Please enlighten us - what equipment or combination of equipment can match (even add $2K) the M33 for price / performance? I've had mine since October after the M32 and that was chosen after home auditioning or buying a dozen other amps of up to 3 times the price. The M33 is astonishing value in my view, but I'm always looking for anything that will improve the sound I hear at a sensible price.

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Please enlighten us - what equipment or combination of equipment can match (even add $2K) the M33 for price / performance? I've had mine since October after the M32 and that was chosen after home auditioning or buying a dozen other amps of up to 3 times the price. The M33 is astonishing value in my view, but I'm always looking for anything that will improve the sound I hear at a sensible price.
If you’re only talking about price and features, NAD c658 + c298 combines the same features (minus the fancy touch interface) and the same amp for $3650. If you don’t like the performance of the c658 based on Amir’s review, substitute a MiniDSP SHD, Bluesound Node 2i, and your choice of phono preamp for under $4000 total. You could use the built-in streaming on the MiniDSP and substitute a less expensive Purifi amplifier to save more.

If I’m adding $2k, I’d say the Anthem STR preamp plus a pair of Purifi monoblocks and the streamer of your choice would probably be better if only for the convenient integration of subwoofers.

If beauty is a factor the M33 might take that prize, and it is the only thing on the market with the feature set in a single package (as far as I know). I’d buy one, and I’d pay a bit more for the slick interface and one-box convenience, but not $1350 more than their own c658+c298 which has exactly the same functionality.

Nobody sells a M33 for 3.400$. The M32 perhaps.

Peacemaker

Hear Here

If you’re only talking about price and features, NAD c658 + c298 combines the same features (minus the fancy touch interface) and the same amp for $3650. If you don’t like the performance of the c658 based on Amir’s review, substitute a MiniDSP SHD, Bluesound Node 2i, and your choice of phono preamp for under $4000 total. You could use the built-in streaming on the MiniDSP and substitute a less expensive Purifi amplifier to save more.

If I’m adding $2k, I’d say the Anthem STR preamp plus a pair of Purifi monoblocks and the streamer of your choice would probably be better if only for the convenient integration of subwoofers.

If beauty is a factor the M33 might take that prize, and it is the only thing on the market with the feature set in a single package (as far as I know). I’d buy one, and I’d pay a bit more for the slick interface and one-box convenience, but not $1350 more than their own c658+c298 which has exactly the same functionality.

On another forum an almost identical suggestion was put forward as an alternative to the M33. I accept that the NAD combination you mention offers much the same but at a lower quality. NAD's Master Series is a big step up from their other ranges, but I'd agree that the combination you mention also offers remarkable value with a saving of £700 compared with the M33. I'm not sure if that combo includes MM and MC phono, headphone out, good IR remote, Dirac Live, touch LED screen for seeing what you're listening to - and you'd need a good interconnect too.

For me, I opted for the higher spec £4000 M33, but even that would appear to most hi-fi buffs as ridiculously cheap and possibly a feeble match for my £32K speakers. However after comparing it with a dozen or so other more costly amps, I chose the M32, later changed for the slightly even better sounding M33.

Alexanderc

Forum Donor

On another forum an almost identical suggestion was put forward as an alternative to the M33. I accept that the NAD combination you mention offers much the same but at a lower quality. NAD's Master Series is a big step up from their other ranges, but I'd agree that the combination you mention also offers remarkable value with a saving of £700 compared with the M33. I'm not sure if that combo includes MM and MC phono, headphone out, good IR remote, Dirac Live, touch LED screen for seeing what you're listening to - and you'd need a good interconnect too.

For me, I opted for the higher spec £4000 M33, but even that would appear to most hi-fi buffs as ridiculously cheap and possibly a feeble match for my £32K speakers. However after comparing it with a dozen or so other more costly amps, I chose the M32, later changed for the slightly even better sounding M33.
If I could afford £32k speakers, I probably wouldn’t sweat the £700 difference either. ;)

Vinylover

Hi there everyone, proud owner of a NAD M33 since November last year, currently partnering it with a pair of KEF LS50, really enjoying the combination so far but I feel the sonics could be improved, specially on the bass department, I also note some distortion when I turn up the volume. Any recommendations on the 2-4K USD/pair level to make the NAD shine? (standmount or small floorstanders)?

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
Hi there everyone, proud owner of a NAD M33 since November last year, currently partnering it with a pair of KEF LS50, really enjoying the combination so far but I feel the sonics could be improved, specially on the bass department, I also note some distortion when I turn up the volume. Any recommendations on the 2-4K USD/pair level to make the NAD shine? (standmount or small floorstanders)?
You have hit the nail on the head, I think. Lots of people here have that speaker and most of them will say it needs a subwoofer. Luckily, the M33 had that capability.
A good place to start: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/kef-ls50-bookshelf-speaker-review.11144/

Top Bottom