• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any Usher Audio fans? (esp. V series)

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I picked up a pair of V-601 a few years ago for just $400 for the pair and I listen to these in the room I use most. I just love them, running full range with a sub. I can't find any measurements but reviews seem universally positive. E.g. https://www.stereophile.com/content/fifth-element-48-page-2

Soundstage did review and measure the floorstanding version with the same drivers: https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/measurements/speakers/usheraudio_v602/

Usher still makes the V series it seems, but they don't seem to be available in North America. Also I don't know if the newer ones are the same; the badge is different. I wish I could find another pair on ebay to send in for measurements; I've been looking.

Anyone else a fan of this series or other Usher?

jonfitch

I owned the BE-718 which I thought was kind of bright sounding, and the response was inconsistent depending on listening angle, probably had something to do with the 7" woofer they were mating with the tweeter.

I am definitely a fan of the finish and design, it seems to take its cues from Sonus Faber. But I think their reputation took a hit many years ago with the beryllium debacle when Materion did a material analysis and showed their beryllium drivers were >99% titanium. That's when they tried to switch to the diamond branding, but people pointed out their diamond tweeters were just some carbon ceramic. I guess they were all the rage in the early 2000s going off of the fame of their chief designer (D'Appolito) but after those reputational hits people steered away from the brand.

The speakers look amazing and the sound is decent for the money (they cost like 1/3 as much in Taiwan as they do in international markets apparently).

OP
P

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I owned the BE-718 which I thought was kind of bright sounding, and the response was inconsistent depending on listening angle, probably had something to do with the 7" woofer they were mating with the tweeter.

I am definitely a fan of the finish and design, it seems to take its cues from Sonus Faber. But I think their reputation took a hit many years ago with the beryllium debacle when Materion did a material analysis and showed their beryllium drivers were >99% titanium. That's when they tried to switch to the diamond branding, but people pointed out their diamond tweeters were just some carbon ceramic. I guess they were all the rage in the early 2000s going off of the fame of their chief designer (D'Appolito) but after those reputational hits people steered away from the brand.

The speakers look amazing and the sound is decent for the money (they cost like 1/3 as much in Taiwan as they do in international markets apparently).
I usually go for soft domes rather than exotic metals. But I'm wondering about your off axis experience. The soundstage plots of the V-602 look would be OK to me out to at least 60 degrees, if you normalize. But I'm not great at reading these. Am I not seeing something? V-series also have 7" woofers like the BE-718.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Somehow in my country at least things got very quiet in the last years about them, don't know why, maybe there was more hype when getting great audio from Asia was something new and thus more attractive?

I think their product line stagnated, that's partly why. And also more hype when Asian brands were really fresh and much better values, like you said. Now we see mainstream/boutique brands somewhat rising to the occasion. And Usher export sets were never really that cheap in my experience compared to Taiwanese prices I've heard. Their most popular mid/high-end speaker locally is the Mini Dancer 1/2 - and those are well into prices for classic brands like Focal/Sonus Faber/KEF locally. Really hard to justify the choice unless one has measurements + is aware of the quality of the raw drivers.

OP
P

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think their product line stagnated, that's partly why. And also more hype when Asian brands were really fresh and much better values, like you said. Now we see mainstream/boutique brands somewhat rising to the occasion. And Usher export sets were never really that cheap in my experience compared to Taiwanese prices I've heard. Their most popular mid/high-end speaker locally is the Mini Dancer 1/2 - and those are well into prices for classic brands like Focal/Sonus Faber/KEF locally. Really hard to justify the choice unless one has measurements + is aware of the quality of the raw drivers.

In the lower end of their line it seems they might be able to offer value by virtue of making their own drivers. But the S series doesn't do it for me and and the V series does not seem to be available in North America. I'm not sure if any of the lower tiers are sold here.

dwa

I've got early version of V-602s, and if I remember correctly they've added few kgs of mdf to the construction on later versions. I can agree on finish which is great for the price. At the time reviews had been great, but they've put more money into marketing then as well.

steve59

Major Contributor
I owned the big usher BE20DMD's. I set them up and promptly sold my salon2's I liked them so much. I have to say though they need some room because when you add the slope of the cabinet the speakers are 3' deep and rear ported.

Jim85IROC

They used to sell some of their drivers to the DIY market and they measured very well. They also made the Dayton Reference Series tweeters, which were very highly regarded. When PE moved to a new manufacturer for those, the quality tanked.

Top Bottom