• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't know if its a thing in Class D amps, but as an experienced engineer I consider it a best practice that I like to do with any new electronics where possible.

I should refine my use of the term "burn in." I'm not saying that components produce audibly different output as time passes.

It's more of a colloquial industry term for running a DUT through some sort of test to ensure it's robustness.

At hp and UE, we often procured numerous sample devices from different moments in production and put them into such tests.

The objective of the testing was to give us confidence in both the design and manufacturing. More thorough reliability testing would be performed separately from what we were doing. But this early testing gave us directional indication.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
The new rack mount cases arrived and they are perfect! The front panel mounting screws are recessed/blended into the panel and the whole case is very robust. I will take pictures and add them to the first page when I do the first build with one later this week.

HFoletto

It's really commendable the attitude going on here. After reading amir's review back then, I ocasioanlly read this thead and so many updates have been made to much improve the product, that's something really nice to see!

If I may ask, are there plans for a 3 channel amp using the NC500?
Considering that 8 channel amps are being offered, I figured 3 channel for LCR and 8 channel for 4 surrounds + 4 overhead speakers would be a commom combination for a 7.x.4 setup.

Thanks and best wishes!
Looking forward to the rack mount cases pictures :D

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
The new rack mount cases arrived and they are perfect! The front panel mounting screws are recessed/blended into the panel and the whole case is very robust. I will take pictures and add them to the first page when I do the first build with one later this week.

Since I already bought my amp, sans rack ears, I had a hard time deciding if I wanted to like this post or not... :) But, I don't currently have a rack (maybe in the future), so liked it I did. Good job!

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Here is a mock-up of the logo I think I settled on for the amps. I will also look at getting metallic badges made for past/current customers who might want the logo until the new cases with it are available.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 339

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Here is a mock-up of the logo I think I settled on for the amps. I will also look at getting metallic badges made for past/current customers who might want the logo until the new cases with it are available.
You need a website brother,I can't find none of your stuff

Jdunk54nl

Websites cost money (or a lot of time to build yourself), which means amp prices would go up. I say skip the website, save the money, save the time (especially since Buckeye Amps is a PhD student) and keep costs to a minimum.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Websites cost money (or a lot of time to build yourself), which means amp prices would go up. I say skip the website, save the money, save the time (especially since Buckeye Amps is a PhD student) and keep costs to a minimum.

Besides, this way he is our own personal ASR resource, the heck with the rest! :D

You'd be surprised what you can slap together pretty quickly with squarespace. That's what we used for our wedding website. Although I'm not sure how well it does with e-commerce stuff.

Jdunk54nl

You'd be surprised what you can slap together pretty quickly with squarespace. That's what we used for our wedding website. Although I'm not sure how well it does with e-commerce stuff.

Oh I know. I have a couple different business websites. One that takes payments and one that doesn't. I made them myself using wix. The one that takes payments is about $300 a year to host. The one that doesn't is about $125 a year to host. If you find a free hosting platform, you could build your own site, but then you'd need website creating tools or know how to code in html (I have a third old personal resume site like this..not really sure why anymore but it is there).
No matter which way you slice it, there is going to be a cost somewhere. I consider time as a cost, my time is valuable for things beyond website building and I am sure Buckeye's time is more valuable building amps than creating a website.

Last edited:

thegeton

Forum Donor

I'll take one!

nstzya

Is it just me or does only the top half of the jpeg load? The part without the logo.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
A website will eventually be made. And won't affect amp pricing. I won't have direct ordering/payment through the website as I still want customers to email or message me first about their specific build. But it will have everything in one place and also be a better jumping stone to finding this thread. As it stands, I've had quite a few orders placed by people directly emailing me after they Googled Hypex Amplifiers and this thread came up as a top result.

Which also means I definitely need to donate some more money to Amir. He has been indirectly instrumental to this success.

klipsch

Another Buckeye customer. Looking forward to comparing 502s to my nc500s once the amplifier arrives.

The non-word badge with the letter B and design look nice.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Short Review of a 3 module 502 (6 channel Amp). The amp in connected to a Denon 8500h and is running the front 5 channels (R,L,C,WL&WR) All of these speakers are 4 Ohms loads. Have had the Amp for just under 2 weeks. Unit runs great. Mains have gained some added low end extension improvement. Previously had to crossed them at 90Hz with dual 8in drivers. But now I can run them at 60Hz with no problems and much improved output. Specially noticeable in two channel mode when listening to Music. Before they dropped off a cliff at 85 +/- Hz. Now hitting close to ref at 60Hz. Was using an Emotiva XPA-5 Gen1. The unit does run cool at an average of about 82 degrees F. Or about 10 degrees above ambient. So far the Amp is performing beyond my expectations and Buckeye is a great Guy to deal with. Very flexible, accommodating and responsive. He shipped earlier than predicted and I am quite happy with the Value his amps present.

I highly recommend Buckeye Amps. Class D has indeed come a long way. Happy I took the leap.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Four channel 252 is $779. The Hypex rec to use 8ohm loads is surprising given that they are rated to 2 Ohms. But good points, all taken.
I believe that recommendation is for when they are bridged.

bogart

Forum Donor

Looking really sharp! The stylized B and A are distinctive and interesting to my eye. I’m not sure whether the leaf will “read” well to the eye at small size or may depend on the resolution of how the badges are made. I think you’ve got a good looking badge even if the leaf element doesn’t make the final cut.

Agree also with the case logo vs business logo difference. Congrats again on all your momentum on this venture.

nstzya

I believe that recommendation is for when they are bridged.
Yes, sorry. In rereading that, I can see how one could get that Impression. What I was saying was that I was surprised that when presented a 4 ohm speaker while bridged, why shouldn’t they be able to handle it, since the amps are rated down to 2 ohms?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, sorry. In rereading that, I can see how one could get that Impression. What I was saying was that I was surprised that when presented a 4 ohm speaker while bridged, why shouldn’t they be able to handle it, since the amps are rated down to 2 ohms?
I think it is mostly because the bridged amp will be well into current limiting that bridging will offer little to no increase in power. At that point it will just be wasting money.

Top Bottom