• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is your daily job ? ... any hobbies ?

scorePO

My background is in architecture and graphic design, but for years I have specialized in 3D design.
Mostly these are visualizations but sometimes also product designs of furniture, commodities and occasionally audio products.

From my former hobbies (motorcycle, billiards, badminton, ...) my boys and our garden have actually devoured everything.

But that's perfectly fine... :cool:

hdspeakerman

I am retired now and most of my free time goes to speaker building and listening to them. I also love to fish when the weather is right for it. I went to college to study electrical engineering but hit a detour and ended up in mining. I have worked in surface coal mines, underground lead and most recently UG limestone. We have one of the purest deposits under our town and it looks like we will be mining it for over 100 years. I always loved the informal atmosphere in mining and I like the guys I met on the job.

The Dragon

Forum Donor

Wow! A Hurst Grand Prix. Nice! I had a 1971 Grand Prix Model J. Dark blue with a white top. 400 auto. I don't know why I forgot that one. One of my favorite cars, but I had a shop start the restoration on it and they really screwed it up. I think I was trying to blot that one out of my mind...

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow! A Hurst Grand Prix. Nice! I had a 1971 Grand Prix Model J. Dark blue with a white top. 400 auto. I don't know why I forgot that one. One of my favorite cars, but I had a shop start the restoration on it and they really screwed it up. I think I was trying to blot that one out of my mind...
It really torques me when they're lives are ended by a body shop from hell. Any classic/vintage car, muscle or not.
I am a big believer in the 'stock appearing' and sounding deal That is stock style rims (perhaps in a larger diameter) sectioned and widened (to fit wider tires that look like they are not out of place, to appear stock until examined closely), exhaust tips no larger than 2.5" (the unseen from normal viewing parts may have 3" exhaust, crossovers, x-pipe, long tube headers, etc) the engine & heads will appear to be stock but may be 500+ CI internally (or perhaps made out of aluminum but painted the original engine color) and may not sound louder or more radical than the hottest cam that the factory offered (with todays roller cam retrofit technology it's quite possible to be very aggressively cammed and even some types of computer controlled Fuel Injection and distributor setups can be part of the illusion. Until the moment that 700+ LB/Ft of torque and 700+HP pushes the car hard with a six or 8 speed automatic or a 5 or six speed stick shift. And it'll get 24-27 HWY MPG IF you can keep your foot out of the throttle.

Dmitri

Forum Donor
Hey guys and gals!
Well since y’all braved through it, I guess it’s time to bare my soul...

Been around for a year or so and really enjoy the site but am not particularly up to date on the contemporary tech. I’m trying to reinitiate myself into the field via ASR and some of you hard core enthusiasts/ professionals. Having been raised fully in the analog era I’ve kind of fallen behind....and things sure have gotten complicated! I have been finding Amirm’s video reviews going a long way towards helping me understand the graphs and measurements....So +1 and my appreciation for those!

I’m a retired subcontract carpenter...never a contractor because short of working NASA’s Mission Control or being a presidential food taster I can’t think of a more stressful job. I like to sleep at night. Houses,additions,trim,cabinetry,furniture, and one particularly wonderful sounding but kind of weird looking because I got “creative” Rythmik Audio downfiring sub...working with wood’s my passion even now. Retired early because unfortunately that particular career makes you old before your time, but still have a shop and am in it every day.

I’ve been an audio nut ever since I blew up my Dad’s KLH 6’s, burned up his KLH integrated amp and broke the automatic function on his Elac Miracord turntable. Yup, I was that kid, but the old man upgraded and I got more and more into it and fortunately less destructive. Still got his replacement ADS L710’s in the living room.
There’s a moral to this...if any of you out there are still house bound and subject to parental tyranny and said parent’s less than adequate audio system, there’s still hope.

My system is more AVR oriented now, and of course, thanks to Amirm most of my stuff is apparently broken or more than likely headless panther worthy, but I still love it. I get a lot of enjoyment out of music and films, and though I’m fascinated with the reviews here, for the most part my ears are too far gone for any of it to really apply to me. Sadly, there’s another moral in there. Ultimately though, we all lose our hearing to some extent, but it doesn’t need change our love for music.

Most of my contributions are in photography or the “Call to Humor” forum, where once again I find I am not even remotely close to being the funniest guy in the room, but I’m very thankful to those who are. I do make occasional embarrassing forays into the actual audio side of the site, and as my relatively clueless status is unlikely to change anytime soon, am likely to continue to do so for awhile. Fortunately I thrive on people who laugh at me almost as much as I thrive on those who laugh with me, so it’s all good. ; )

My door’s always open for a chat. I’ve made a few online friends in Covid times, and I really enjoy those relationships.

Take care, be safe everyone!

The Dragon

Forum Donor
It really torques me when they're lives are ended by a body shop from hell. Any classic/vintage car, muscle or not.
I am a big believer in the 'stock appearing' and sounding deal That is stock style rims (perhaps in a larger diameter) sectioned and widened (to fit wider tires that look like they are not out of place, to appear stock until examined closely), exhaust tips no larger than 2.5" (the unseen from normal viewing parts may have 3" exhaust, crossovers, x-pipe, long tube headers, etc) the engine & heads will appear to be stock but may be 500+ CI internally (or perhaps made out of aluminum but painted the original engine color) and may not sound louder or more radical than the hottest cam that the factory offered (with todays roller cam retrofit technology it's quite possible to be very aggressively cammed and even some types of computer controlled Fuel Injection and distributor setups can be part of the illusion. Until the moment that 700+ LB/Ft of torque and 700+HP pushes the car hard with a six or 8 speed automatic or a 5 or six speed stick shift. And it'll get 24-27 HWY MPG IF you can keep your foot out of the throttle.

When I went to check on the paint job, there was a drill stuck through the package tray (hat rack) - still just sitting there sticking out of the back window. When I took it to them, the package tray was pristine. I asked them to remove it before they fixed the window channel rust (from the vinyl top). I just had the seats inserted with brand new factory material. The inside looked new. It only had a little over 100k miles on it. I was pissed when I saw this. I spoke to the manager (who I worked with at the time) and showed him what had been done. He apologized and said he would make it good. Another month later, I made another visit. This time the car had moved to the front of the shop and looked like nothing had been done. I opened the hood to check things and there was no coolant in the radiator. I then inspected the rest of the car. Apparently, someone had been having a blast with it driving it. Both front tires had steel belts hanging out of the outside and the back tires were almost slick.
These tires were Michelin radial with about 25k on them. They were in good shape when I dropped the car off. I am no longer friends with the manager of the shop. I ended up selling the car. It was a smooth driving, quiet, but fast highway cruiser.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The desire for defense against violent psychopaths. ...Which only works when it's concealed carry, not morons leaving it in the car or something.
To be able to defend my life, my wife's life, my mother's life, my children's lives (or perhaps a homeless person being set on fire, as happened recently) or a neighbor or friend or just a passerby who happens to get attacked. And there is the case if you or someone you are with is attacked by a wild animal (coyote, wolf, bear) have all been seen in cities in recent times. & big cats (Puma) have taken babies from people jogging on trails with their kids). Also shooting guns is fun and skillful in the same way as shooting pool. And then, if you are like me and don't care to eat things from the supermarket, you hunt your own meats & buy fruits, vegetables, honey, milk, etc. from the farmers market or co-op. I try not to participate in things that involve transporting my food great distances (like across the country). And why should I be required to pay a premium for meats that are local, a bullet & a butcher away. So it is also a maximizing health, minimizing footprint kind of thing. And, just like fishing, crabbing, shrimping and harvesting oysters & clams (for yourself or family or local commercial enterprises), it gets you out of the house, away from the computer games into the natural world of nature. There are an amazing amount of benefits: confidence that you can protect yourself and others, that you are capable of getting meats should you need to do so, that you are able to protect others from incidents with wildlife or wild people. Although people I encounter during my day will not know that I am capable of saving their life from most types of attacks. AND prepared to do it.
Also, please be aware that in most incidents involving people and the need to pull a gun, that the problem person calms down and goes away without a shot being fired.

Last edited:

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
When I went to check on the paint job, there was a drill stuck through the package tray (hat rack) - still just sitting there sticking out of the back window. When I took it to them, the package tray was pristine. I asked them to remove it before they fixed the window channel rust (from the vinyl top). I just had the seats inserted with brand new factory material. The inside looked new. It only had a little over 100k miles on it. I was pissed when I saw this. I spoke to the manager (who I worked with at the time) and showed him what had been done. He apologized and said he would make it good. Another month later, I made another visit. This time the car had moved to the front of the shop and looked like nothing had been done. I opened the hood to check things and there was no coolant in the radiator. I then inspected the rest of the car. Apparently, someone had been having a blast with it driving it. Both front tires had steel belts hanging out of the outside and the back tires were almost slick.
These tires were Michelin radial with about 25k on them. They were in good shape when I dropped the car off. I am no longer friends with the manager of the shop. I ended up selling the car. It was a smooth driving, quiet, but fast highway cruiser.
Wow!

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Hey guys and gals!
Well since y’all braved through it, I guess it’s time to bare my soul...

Been around for a year or so and really enjoy the site but am not particularly up to date on the contemporary tech. I’m trying to reinitiate myself into the field via ASR and some of you hard core enthusiasts/ professionals. Having been raised fully in the analog era I’ve kind of fallen behind....and things sure have gotten complicated! I have been finding Amirm’s video reviews going a long way towards helping me understand the graphs and measurements....So +1 and my appreciation for those!

I’m a retired subcontract carpenter...never a contractor because short of working NASA’s Mission Control or being a presidential food taster I can’t think of a more stressful job. I like to sleep at night. Houses,additions,trim,cabinetry,furniture, and one particularly wonderful sounding but kind of weird looking because I got “creative” Rythmik Audio downfiring sub...working with wood’s my passion even now. Retired early because unfortunately that particular career makes you old before your time, but still have a shop and am in it every day.

I’ve been an audio nut ever since I blew up my Dad’s KLH 6’s, burned up his KLH integrated amp and broke the automatic function on his Elac Miracord turntable. Yup, I was that kid, but the old man upgraded and I got more and more into it and fortunately less destructive. Still got his replacement ADS L710’s in the living room.
There’s a moral to this...if any of you out there are still house bound and subject to parental tyranny and said parent’s less than adequate audio system, there’s still hope.

My system is more AVR oriented now, and of course, thanks to Amirm most of my stuff is apparently broken or more than likely headless panther worthy, but I still love it. I get a lot of enjoyment out of music and films, and though I’m fascinated with the reviews here, for the most part my ears are too far gone for any of it to really apply to me. Sadly, there’s another moral in there. Ultimately though, we all lose our hearing to some extent, but it doesn’t need change our love for music.

Most of my contributions are in photography or the “Call to Humor” forum, where once again I find I am not even remotely close to being the funniest guy in the room, but I’m very thankful to those who are. I do make occasional embarrassing forays into the actual audio side of the site, and as my relatively clueless status is unlikely to change anytime soon, am likely to continue to do so for awhile. Fortunately I thrive on people who laugh at me almost as much as I thrive on those who laugh with me, so it’s all good. ; )

My door’s always open for a chat. I’ve made a few online friends in Covid times, and I really enjoy those relationships.

Take care, be safe everyone!
Do you cover trim? Don't see much anymore.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
I am a social worker in a men's jail that is actually run as a mental health treatment hospital. It is great as treatment is the focus with correctional staff being mostly invisible and only seen when needed. Other than that, social workers, psychologists, psychiatrists, drug counselors and various nursing professionals run the show.
Your success rate shall be dismal. The sociopaths will play you like a fiddle.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Software Engineer (Semiconductor industry, 30 years) turned into IT manager 4 years ago.

Hobbies; Model Railroading, model building and music nut.
The audio equipment and reproduction chain is a means to an end of getting maximum enjoyment out of the music. It has turned into another hobby in itself over the years.
Have friend into model railroading. How that can be a real expensive hobby.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
I do IT in the finance industry. My main hobby outside of headphones is mountain biking. I have been going on night rides with lights on my helmet and handlebars its a great hobby I recommend it.
Be careful. Lot of impaired drivers on road after dark.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Retired EE. Started as a hobby building crystal radios, Heathkit then my own audio amps, with EL34 and KT88 O/P pairs, using ex WW2 surplus power supply components. Learnt very quickly that oil filled paper caps of 16uF charged to 500V hold their charge a very long time :) . Output transformers weren’t on surplus and cost a lot though . . KT88 pairs make good guitar amps without a doubt.
EE degree followed by a couple of years in aerospace then 43 years as analog and mixed analog/digital IC designer. The usual stuff, telephony, high speed ADCs for the military, delta sigma ADCs, 10GBit/s transimpedance amps, laser drivers, clock & data recovery. All work in a major telecoms research lab. Then in 2000 went into startup. I worked on GPS receivers and Silicon Germanium WiFi power amps and got taken over as our WiFi was good. Many upmarket cellphones or tablets have, or have had PAs to which I had contributed. Quite challenging to make sure your bg band WiFi doesn’t intermod with low band LTE and block the 1.575GHz GPS at -162dBm.
Other interests - attending classical music concerts (>1000 available per annum in Cambridge, pre Covid) and skiing the steeps in Val D’Isere.
I started building Dynaco preamp and amp kits. Built blue box in early 70's to subvert Ma Bell onerous long distance charges. Learned recently that Steve Jobs was selling blue boxes at that time. Maybe that is how he really financed Apple in early days. Discarded blue box after Roddy Mcdowell was caught in phone booth by feds using blue box.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
At least he should have clean hands, unlike the jailers who put my schizophrenic first wife in solitary confinement for a month before she hanged herself with the bedsheets.
I am so sorry. Jailers are want to be cops who will fail psychological tests. Pay them slave wages. Mental health system was defunded after Nicholson's Cookoo Nest.

Top Bottom