• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Massdrop return policy

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have an ether cx on the way. I just recently read that sometimes returning them is difficult through massdrop's return policy. The aeon rt just got reviewed and I'm worried I'll be spending more for a headphone that is not as good as the aeon rt.

Does anyone know what their return policy is?

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Returnable items have the policy explicitly stated on the details page, which is usually 30 days. Otherwise, you are SOOL. Doesn't look like the Ether CX is returnable.

OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Returnable items have the policy explicitly stated on the details page, which is usually 30 days. Otherwise, you are SOOL. Doesn't look like the Ether CX is returnable.
The took the return anyway. Great customer service.

ta240

Major Contributor
I'm not a fan of it but, the way their system functions it really doesn't make sense to do returns for anything but defects. Being setup as a collective buying community where they place one order for all of the items once all the customers have signed on, they don't have a warehouse full of the items they sell that a 'did no like' return can go back to.
Stores have to absorb the financial impact of these type of returns and thus have to pass that expense on to their full customer base. Drop would have to raise their prices to cover the loss from these returns and the extra employee time that would be required for processing them as well as trying to sell them through some other means.

And that doesn't even begin to get into the customer service time required for interacting with the customers who forget to include things with the returns or return items scratched or dinged up. I'm sure most people here are like me in that when I do return something I make sure it is spotless and packaged exactly as it originally was. However, having processed customer returns before, I can tell you that a lot of people just cram everything in the box and expect a full refund. Most people's reaction to that problem is "then just don't refund for items that aren't perfect" But if they don't get the full refund because of something they did they will give you bad reviews and even fight it with their credit card company; it is difficult and possibly expensive for a vendor to fight a chargeback when the customer has proof of delivery. So by not accepting the 'changed my mind' returns they've removed a fair sized expense from their business model.

OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
I'm not a fan of it but, the way their system functions it really doesn't make sense to do returns for anything but defects. Being setup as a collective buying community where they place one order for all of the items once all the customers have signed on, they don't have a warehouse full of the items they sell that a 'did no like' return can go back to.
Stores have to absorb the financial impact of these type of returns and thus have to pass that expense on to their full customer base. Drop would have to raise their prices to cover the loss from these returns and the extra employee time that would be required for processing them as well as trying to sell them through some other means.

And that doesn't even begin to get into the customer service time required for interacting with the customers who forget to include things with the returns or return items scratched or dinged up. I'm sure most people here are like me in that when I do return something I make sure it is spotless and packaged exactly as it originally was. However, having processed customer returns before, I can tell you that a lot of people just cram everything in the box and expect a full refund. Most people's reaction to that problem is "then just don't refund for items that aren't perfect" But if they don't get the full refund because of something they did they will give you bad reviews and even fight it with their credit card company; it is difficult and possibly expensive for a vendor to fight a chargeback when the customer has proof of delivery. So by not accepting the 'changed my mind' returns they've removed a fair sized expense from their business model.
I didn't even open the box the boxed item came in so they got it exactly as they shipped it. I bought it at a discounted rate, it jumped up 150$ after I bought it. So I'm thinking they might have taken it back with that in mind.

I offered to pay for the return and stocking fee but they said it was not a problem. I hate to think that now gets past onto the consumer, but I know that's what happens when people steal from stores too.

Top Bottom