• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soncoz LA-QXD1 Balanced DAC Review

LukaV

Hi all! My first post here.

So my QXD1 is arriving on friday and i want to do it right on first attempt. Obvilusly lol.

1. Adapter: there is a lot written about 1a, 2a and so on. I have spare Samsung 5V1A and 5V1,5A chargers. What do i connect?

2. FW: i will be using QXD1 as direct DAC RCA to Audio Analogue Crescendo integrated amp. I am more audio guy and a bit lost in computers whatsoever. So i tend to flash my QXD1 to vol. max first thing before connecting it in my audio chain. And i dont know anything about flashing FW. This must be done via PC (i have win10) through the USB connection to DAC? I need any additional apps for windows to do so?

It is a noob question i know, but i really want to do it right in first go and dont want to do any harm to the device (which i am very excited to implement into my HiFi).

Edit: i am getting barely used one which is claimed to function properly, but i wont think it is flashed to "vol.max".

Brab

Hi all! My first post here.

Not sure why no one is replying- perhaps the units have all failed, as mine has. But just to help you out as best I can.

1. Normally, it shouldn't matter since devices draw the current they need, but given this DAC is so sensitive, best to go with the recommended 1 Amp.

2. Can't help you with the flashing, but your unit will work with the Windows built in USB driver, but with volume at minimum to begin. Are you sure you want max volume as default? Minimum is safer and getting to max is simply a matter on holding in the + button.

Good luck!

LukaV

2. Can't help you with the flashing, but your unit will work with the Windows built in USB driver, but with volume at minimum to begin. Are you sure you want max volume as default? Minimum is safer and getting to max is simply a matter on holding in the + button.

Good luck!

Yeah. I will unplug it when not using and dont want to bother maxing it everytime. Also max volume is adviced as used for dac direct, not preamp use. As i get this thing.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
2. FW: i will be using QXD1 as direct DAC RCA to Audio Analogue Crescendo integrated amp. I am more audio guy and a bit lost in computers whatsoever. So i tend to flash my QXD1 to vol. max first thing before connecting it in my audio chain. And i dont know anything about flashing FW. This must be done via PC (i have win10) through the USB connection to DAC? I need any additional apps for windows to do so?
See http://www.soncoz.com/download.html#/ for downloads and FAQs- scroll down for the LA-QXD1 part. Q10 and Q11 should cover it.

Labjr

Major Contributor
Well, I proposed the possibility by email. No reply.

I don't understand their lack of a concern to what apparently is a crisis? You'd think they would have a process which minimizes inconvenience to the customer. I also wonder about their QC? And are they rushing products to the market?

Brab

I don't understand their lack of a concern to what apparently is a crisis? You'd think they would have a process which minimizes inconvenience to the customer. I also wonder about their QC? And are they rushing products to the market?
I don't know what's going on. It would be interesting to hear from their retailers. All I know is that for my $300 I have two USB cables, and an aluminum paperweight. It is not right to ask me to risk another $50 freight for a repair that might not last longer than another six months.

Last edited:

LukaV

So i just found power splitter box that outputs 2x USB 5V1A. Gonna give it a go.
Or should i prefer the power bank? :rolleyes:

LukaV

So wouldnt work on samsung 5V1A charger but would power on with laptop usb.
Wont work with power bank but works with power splitter deck with USB 5V1A output.

Go figure.

But works flawlessly now and i am happy camper. Have it set on minimum phase fast rolloff and it is accurate.

alekksander

So wouldnt work on samsung 5V1A charger but would power on with laptop usb.
Wont work with power bank but works with power splitter deck with USB 5V1A output.
this tells us nothing unless You measure mentioned outputs

LukaV

this tells us nothing unless You measure mentioned outputs
I cant. I dont have tools to do that.
But i learned that if power bank is charging it wont power D1 and probably anything else.
Another thing i learned is, that DAC was heating considerably after only 30 minutes plugged in to the USB power cord socket, and chilled right away when plugged to power bank.

Cidious

It's a bit weird they (Soncoz) suddenly went so quiet in this thread because when you're posting a good comment about it they jump on it instantly. Just read this thread back.

@Brab I'd recommend reading back this thread and sending a PM to the representatives here for starters.

So far my Soncoz, recently bought is working like a charm. It's mostly on and I run it of a 25VA 5V UPS that shares another output with my D50s . It's lovely. so far. Let's hope it doesn't cut out like my D50s did last month (and got fixed by Topping and back in my possessionn within a weeks time)

0xgrm

Hi all,

I am a LA-QXD1 user for a few months now, and this DAC is phenomenal, especially for the relatively cheap price.

I have a question for @Ben1987.

Would it be possible to add a way in the firmware to switch between sources with a software command/code on USB? It could be then used by a script to write a little web UI wrapper for example.

Brab

It's a bit weird they (Soncoz) suddenly went so quiet in this thread because when you're posting a good comment about it they jump on it instantly. Just read this thread back.

@Brab I'd recommend reading back this thread and sending a PM to the representatives here for starters.

Thank you for the suggestion. Yes, Ann at Soncoz responds quickly and warmly to positive comments, but in my emails directly to her, is adamant in refusing to properly support her product. Since the DAC is useless as is, my plan is to post it back to Soncoz, and hope they do the ethical thing, namely repair it and return it to me at their expense.

Last edited:

Cidious

Thank you for the suggestion. Yes, Ann at Soncoz responds quickly and warmly to positive comments, but in my emails directly to her, is adamant in refusing to properly support her product. Since the DAC is useless as is, my plan is to post it back to Soncoz, and hope they do the ethical thing, namely repair it and return it to me at their expense.

Keep us posted. But do realize that it's Chinese New Year now and for at least a month everything will be down.

rlal

Did anyone tried LA-QXD1 with a good linear power supply like Allo Shanti?
I have heard very good things from a friend with this pairing.
Keen to know feedback if anyone tried this?

porotikos

The day i dreaded came.
Soncoz la-qxd1 is dead. it shows on the taskbar, but the sound out of it is some static with very low volume. i replaced it with khadas toneboard (thank god i have it) and all plays fine.
so, is there anything i should test before i send it to hell back?
i was very positive for Sonkoz but to hell with it.
Also i realised that it introduced some static to my console headphone out, which with toneboard it is not there

i ordered and bought from amazon.co.uk. can anyone tell me if i am still in warantee? i bought it 7 months ago. how do i proceed with amazon? to get my refund?

thank you guys. and i am really sorry that it failed.... but it did

EMMA

i ordered and bought from amazon.co.uk. can anyone tell me if i am still in warantee? i bought it 7 months ago. how do i proceed with amazon? to get my refund?
You can contact the customer service of that Amazon to communicate what is wrong with the machine. If the problem cannot be solved online, you can request a repair, which is fully within the warranty period.

Top Bottom