• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spotify and loudness normalization - how can normalizaed track have higher DR than non-normalized

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi all

I saw this interesting page:

https://forums.sonicacademy.com/t/spotify-loudness-and-dynamic-range-ongoing-research/35300

In particular this:

1613925436773.png

1613925402312.png

Here's the official word from Spotify:

https://artists.spotify.com/faq/mas...-is-loudness-normalization-and-why-is-it-used

1613925470963.png

So, the limiter is only applied when normalization enabled - is that correct?

If that is correct, how can the normalized Dua Lipa track (Physical) have higher DR than the track with normilization turned off ?

Unless it was his DAW that was 'limiting' with the non-normalized track (peak 0dBFS), causing distortion and reduced DR? He doesn't say that but is that the only explanation here?

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Maybe the TT meter gets wonky when the ceiling is not 0 dB anymore. Because the loudness range is identical.

The loudness range of the Dupa Lipa isn't identical though - 4.7 vs 4.8 , no?

Only very slightly higher but strangely higher with the normalized version

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Slightly related question: Is this normalization feature generally considered to not degrade sound quality? Based on the description it seems to be plausible?

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Slightly related question: Is this normalization feature generally considered to not degrade sound quality? Based on the description it seems to be plausible?

That's the main point of this thread.

If it actually allows greater dynamic range (compared with normalisation turned off) like my opening post suggests, then that's a positive.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
That's the main point of this thread.

If it actually allows greater dynamic range (compared with normalisation turned off) like my opening post suggests, then that's a positive.

Not sure how that happens, but yes indeed.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Not sure how that happens, but yes indeed.

All streaming services should enforce it everywhere. Give no option to disable.

It will force music makers to use dynamic range to stand out from the crowd - that's the end result we all want LOL.

At the moment you can still disable/enable in Tidal and Spotify and Apple Music etc.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All streaming services should enforce it everywhere. Give no option to disable.

It will force music makers to use dynamic range to stand out from the crowd - that's the end result we all want LOL.

At the moment you can still disable/enable in Tidal and Spotify and Apple Music etc.

Youtube has forced -14 LUFS loudness normalization too.

Last edited:

Yasuo

I wish he would have tested a song with very high DR like 12 or 14. Only New Order - Blue Monday has an average DR. On songs with poor DR lowering the volume results in a DR increase, but we get the opposite for songs with good/great DR - or am I wrong?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wish he would have tested a song with very high DR like 12 or 14. Only New Order - Blue Monday has an average DR. On songs with poor DR lowering the volume results in a DR increase, but we get the opposite for songs with good/great DR - or am I wrong?

You can test whatever song you like, you don’t even need any extra gear.

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I captured a digital output of Spotify's linux client for the "Physical" track ( open.spotify.com/track/4U3u4qHEAmm4Jb2J3GAfuV?si=HywbkvfKSWC6JLxLfEGzng ), both with normalization disabled and enabled. Using SoX, loudness-scanner and dr14_t.meter I got those numbers:
Code:
Peaks:
-0.00 dBFS - 1rec.none.wav
-6.89 dBFS - 1rec.albm.normal.wav

Loudness,     LRA,   True peak
-6.5 LUFS,  5.1 LU,    1.052240, 1rec.none.wav
-14.0 LUFS,  5.1 LU,    0.455980, 1rec.albm.normal.wav

DR         Peak            RMS        Duration  Title [codec]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR4     -0.00 dB        -5.95 dB       3:12    1rec.none.flac
DR5     -6.89 dB        -13.42 dB      3:12    1rec.albm.normal.flac
(1.052240 is +0.44 dBFS, 0.45598 is -6.82 dBFS)

Then I reduced the volume of the track without normalization by 7.4606 dB. The result seems to null with the track with normalization, although it is far from ideal:
Code:
             Overall     Left      Right
Pk lev dB     -30.83    -30.83    -31.20
RMS lev dB    -71.52    -71.17    -71.90
RMS Pk dB     -55.45    -55.45    -56.72
That was surprising to me. A look at the null's spectrogram shows that it nulls perfectly in the first 10-15 seconds and then differences show up:
gen.1rec.none.0.4236113864__1rec.albm.normal.1.0.null.png
A look at the null's waveform in dB scale shows that the diffferences are at single samples once in a while. After applying 7.4606 dB gain to the track with normalization we get clipping in exactly those samples:
physical.waveform.zoomout.pngphysical.waveform.zoomin.png
If not for the clipping, the new peak would be at +0.57 dBFS.

And the conclusion? Well, I don't know. Maybe that Spotify applies some kind of limiting even when normalization is disabled? That would make peaks bigger relative to RMS in version with normalization enabled and thus increase DR value.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
And the conclusion? Well, I don't know. Maybe that Spotify applies some kind of limiting even when normalization is disabled?
Here's an idea, maybe those differences could be explained as a result of lossy compression producing samples above 0 dBFS. A track with so much dynamic compression as in this example will likely produce many such samples when lossy compressed. If the client decodes to float and applies volume normalizaton in float, then without normalization those above 0 dBFS samples are clipped and with normalization they become below 0 dBFS samples and are not clipped.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's an idea, maybe those differences could be explained as a result of lossy compression producing samples above 0 dBFS. A track with so much dynamic compression as in this example will likely produce many such samples when lossy compressed. If the client decodes to float and applies volume normalizaton in float, then without normalization those above 0 dBFS samples are clipped and with normalization they become below 0 dBFS samples and are not clipped.

Vorbis is a pretty decent codecs, and the DR score difference is too big to be explained by lossy compression artifacts.

I stand by my theory that the TT meter is wonky.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, it's just a change of volume in the digital domain. Depending on what's being sent the data, and how will it handles digital full scale it has the possibility of increasing fidelity, as not everything handles things correctly. I leave this turned on in Roon too, I see it as a good thing.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Maybe that Spotify applies some kind of limiting even when normalization is disabled?

That's exactly what i hypothesised in my opening post.

The official word on Spotify using limiting is, it is on with normalisation enabled

I couldn't find any official word on limiting with normalisation off

Thanks for doing this analysis

Top Bottom