• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Class D Purifi amp

F1308

Major Contributor
After comparing published specifications, I see the only difference between AUDIOPHONICS LPA-S400ET and the new
AUDIOPHONICS MPA-M400ET is XLR input impedance: 100 versus 96.
I also see a fuse in S400 versus a switch in M400...

Planning to buy next week...Any help deciding one to choose, a single stereo S400 or a couple of M400 , please ?
Thank you.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...eo-amplifier-purifi-2x400w-4-ohm-p-14557.html

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...mono-class-d-purifi-1x400w-4-ohm-p-14951.html

Kennyknetter

After comparing published specifications, I see the only difference between AUDIOPHONICS LPA-S400ET and the new

Planning to buy next week...Any help deciding one to choose, a single stereo S400 or a couple of M400 , please ?
Thank you.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...eo-amplifier-purifi-2x400w-4-ohm-p-14557.html

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...mono-class-d-purifi-1x400w-4-ohm-p-14951.html
I went ahead and bought myself two mono amps about two months back. I got them like a week past new years, and I'm one happy camper since! I was curious about the feel and look of the amps, but it's stellar. Way better than what I imagined. It comes with metal feet with rubber rings in them, so they sit steady. One each for my Studio 2's looks great, too. Symmetrical and nice. If I had to choose again, I'd buy these again.

And of course - they have no noise, no distorsion, plenty of power, and they don't get warm.

Unbeatable bang for buck, IMO.

F1308

Major Contributor
I went ahead and bought myself two mono amps about two months back. I got them like a week past new years, and I'm one happy camper since! I was curious about the feel and look of the amps, but it's stellar. Way better than what I imagined. It comes with metal feet with rubber rings in them, so they sit steady. One each for my Studio 2's looks great, too. Symmetrical and nice. If I had to choose again, I'd buy these again.

And of course - they have no noise, no distorsion, plenty of power, and they don't get warm.

Unbeatable bang for buck, IMO.
Thanks so much...very nice of you.
I was planning also two monos, but it adds 300€, and after much search I see the same data for the compact stereo (LPA-S400ET), so if there is no clear difference...
Power supply is SMPS600N400 versus SMPS1200N400, more than enough en each case...
Since thery are bound for my synth, less space needed also...

Last edited:

Kennyknetter

I was planning also two monos, but it adds 300€, and after much search I see the same data for the compact stereo (LPA-S400ET), so if there is no clear difference...
Power supply is SMPS600N400 versus SMPS1200N400, more than enough en each case...
For me it was mostly about the symmetrical look of it all. There are two slight advantages in having monos, and that is better channel separation and being able to use shorter speaker cables, although neither of those advantages would probably make an audible difference. Knowing that it IS slightly better is always nice to know though. Also, one so small case for two so big speakers would look a bit funny to me. Two small cases for two big speakers look cooler to me. The added cost for me came out to about 1-2% of my systems total cost, so it was way worth it, IMO.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since thery are bound for my synth, less space needed also...

I had the opportunity to buy long time ago mono amps.
It's cool to place them just behind the speakers and have very short wires.
But if this is no advantage for you, then just spare these 300€

JimB

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks, Kennyknetter; and thanks, Harmonie.

I found this....

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=78230.msg684330#msg684330
Right. I just can't imagine any possible benefit to really high crosstalk (channel separation) figures, certainly not more than offered in well implemented multichannel amps. An EVAL1 based amp is way more than needed. From the original @amirm review:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...0a-amplifier.7984/#lg=attachment28867&slide=0
Crosstalk is jut not a factor in choosing monoblocs here - base that decision on the other characteristics.

Last edited:

F1308

Major Contributor
Lovely, JimB.
Just updating an old Philips from 1980 that was replacing for a while a failed Denon...

mocenigo

Major Contributor

Thank you.

If you go for the Monos place them as close as possible to the speakers with short speaker cables and use good, longer balanced connections from the source. Many swear it sounds better, and even if you do not feel a difference, it looks cooler that way.

MeMe

Open question for someone who doesn't know anything about gains and electronics in general:
I bought a Freya+ preamp and intend to use it with the tubes engaged.
I'd like to buy the LPA-S400ET from Audiophonics but I'm guessing that given the output from the Freya+, I'll need to tweak the settings of the amp. Am I right to assume this? If so, what would I need to change and why?
Thanks!

Attachments

• image (1).png
    image (1).png
    94.7 KB · Views: 161

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Open question for someone who doesn't know anything about gains and electronics in general:
I bought a Freya+ preamp and intend to use it with the tubes engaged.
I'd like to buy the LPA-S400ET from Audiophonics but I'm guessing that given the output from the Freya+, I'll need to tweak the settings of the amp. Am I right to assume this? If so, what would I need to change and why?
Thanks!

The Audiophonics has gain options of something like 12.7dB, 20dB, and 25.5dB. The amp will probably come set to 20dB gain. The lowest, 12.7dB setting bypasses the input buffer entirely (which I believe also changes the amp's input impedance, but others will have to comment on that).

"Typical"/traditional total gain, including preamp and power amp combined, is about 29dB. The higher-performing Class D power amps generally are designed for something more in the 23-26dB range; and some amps produce 30-32dB of gain. So there is a range there.

If your Freya+ is going to be putting out 12dB of gain by itself, then the Audiophonics amp's default gain should get you to a total of 32dB, which is a little on the high side but not necessarily a problem. Similarly, if you adjust the Audiophonics amp to bypass the input buffer and produce only 12.7dB of gain, then your total gain would be 24.7dB, which could be slightly on the low side but again not necessarily a problem.

The most immediate issue will be how much of the Freya+'s volume control range you can use. If I were you, I'd just hook up the Freya+ to the Audiophonics amp (with the Freya's volume initially turned all the way down of course!) and try it out. If you find that your system gets really loud when the Freya's volume is set to a very low level, then you can open up the Audiophonics amp and set its internal jumper to the input buffer bypass setting. The resulting system volume will be significantly lower, but that will then allow you to use more of the volume control's range on your Freya.

With your particular speakers in your particular room, and your particular listening preferences (and to a lesser extent with the output level of your particular source components), there's no way to tell for sure which gain setting on the power amp will be optimal for you. But one of the two lowest settings should end up being the right one.

MeMe

The Audiophonics has gain options of something like 12.7dB, 20dB, and 25.5dB. The amp will probably come set to 20dB gain. The lowest, 12.7dB setting bypasses the input buffer entirely (which I believe also changes the amp's input impedance, but others will have to comment on that).

"Typical"/traditional total gain, including preamp and power amp combined, is about 29dB. The higher-performing Class D power amps generally are designed for something more in the 23-26dB range; and some amps produce 30-32dB of gain. So there is a range there.

If your Freya+ is going to be putting out 12dB of gain by itself, then the Audiophonics amp's default gain should get you to a total of 32dB, which is a little on the high side but not necessarily a problem. Similarly, if you adjust the Audiophonics amp to bypass the input buffer and produce only 12.7dB of gain, then your total gain would be 24.7dB, which could be slightly on the low side but again not necessarily a problem.

The most immediate issue will be how much of the Freya+'s volume control range you can use. If I were you, I'd just hook up the Freya+ to the Audiophonics amp (with the Freya's volume initially turned all the way down of course!) and try it out. If you find that your system gets really loud when the Freya's volume is set to a very low level, then you can open up the Audiophonics amp and set its internal jumper to the input buffer bypass setting. The resulting system volume will be significantly lower, but that will then allow you to use more of the volume control's range on your Freya.

With your particular speakers in your particular room, and your particular listening preferences (and to a lesser extent with the output level of your particular source components), there's no way to tell for sure which gain setting on the power amp will be optimal for you. But one of the two lowest settings should end up being the right one.

Thanks for taking the time for this detailed answer.
I don't listen loud, so functionally, I guess I'd rather have more volume-control-sweep.
From a sound quality POV, the question would be: If I avoid the amp's buffer altogether (by moving the pin bridges as you mentioned), would I get better sound?

holbob

RME recommend adding these xlr attenuator which are selectable from 10-30db. JTS MA-123. Just add them to the output xlr on your dac. I use them with my Audiophonics Hypex and can keep the volume at around -20 to -10 for music. Other brands are available.

MeMe

RME recommend adding these xlr attenuator which are selectable from 10-30db. JTS MA-123. Just add them to the output xlr on your dac. I use them with my Audiophonics Hypex and can keep the volume at around -20 to -10 for music. Other brands are available.
Thanks for the info. I just sent an email to Monacor asking them how it affects signal (since their specs don't mention it).

F1308

Major Contributor

mocenigo

Major Contributor

The JTS are excellent, and more expensive "audiophile" ones are probably unnecessary, as the resistors in the JTS seem to be very closely matched and non inductive. Of course feel free to make your own using Duelund CAST resistors - as far as boutique stuff goes they are not outrageously expensive. But I have used JTS ones and I cannot really say I have ever detected any degradation in audible sound quality.

Top Bottom