• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looks like Drop might be 'dropping' a HD800

solderdude

Grand Contributor
One would have to take in mind that you only get warranty from Drop, not from Sennheiser.
Also, these headphones, when they ship them outside of Europe, have a substantial value so that will be declared meaning the chance you get taxed (+ import duties) will also be substantial.

On the other side an improved (at least changed in tonality) HD800S, even when the price would be roughly the same when taxed, could be desirable over original HD800S.

cursive

Forum Donor
Like acbarn said, $1400 right now on amazon. I'd really like to hear more about their changes/modifications though, and how the rest of the frequency response might change. An hd800 with good bass response does sound like a nice combo... but then again I've never heard an hd800 or hd800s.

November is 9 months away though, tying up 1100 dollars for nine months and hoping they're good, or better is just too much for me to deal with mentally.

Maybe if we could get a pair sent to @solderdude and see some of those amazing comparisons he does, I might bite then :p.

edahl

I ordered mine at $1578. With VAT this is $1375, so significantly cheaper. If I add the THX it's essentially "free" with $100 to spare, and I can sell it a profit if I don't need it. It's a risk. At the same time, if they've nailed this thing it'll be an absolutely beautiful headphone. Conundrum to be sure.

Zensō

Major Contributor
One would have to take in mind that you only get warranty from Drop, not from Sennheiser.
Also, these headphones, when they ship them outside of Europe, have a substantial value so that will be declared meaning the chance you get taxed (+ import duties) will also be substantial.

On the other side an improved (at least changed in tonality) HD800S, even when the price would be roughly the same when taxed, could be desirable over original HD800S.
Because of the hassle of dealing with Drop and the lack of factory warranty, the price needs to be more enticing in my mind (thinking of the 6XX and Focal Elex). A definite pass for me, at least on this first round.

edahl

Because of the hassle of dealing with Drop and the lack of factory warranty, the price needs to be more enticing in my mind (thinking of the 6XX and Focal Elex).
I contacted Drop about damage to my 7XX two years after getting them. Since they don't have a spare pair they're refunding my purchase, I just have to return it. I'm personally not too worried about factory warranty.

Zensō

Major Contributor
I contacted Drop about damage to my 7XX two years after getting them. Since they don't have a spare pair they're refunding my purchase, I just have to return it. I'm personally not too worried about factory warranty.
That’s good to know. I’ve heard plenty of horror stories, but that’s the Internet.

edahl

I was low key considering ordering a pair of Ether CX alongside an 8XX, but that's a lot of money to stow away until November. This'll be ponderous day for me lol

Moonhead

Dang I just bought HD800S in December, so bad timing for me, on the other hand it will probably be to expensive when imported to Europe anyway, must wait a couple of years for a secondhand one then.

OP
samwell7

samwell7

Dang I just bought HD800S in December, so bad timing for me, on the other hand it will probably be to expensive when imported to Europe anyway, must wait a couple of years for a secondhand one then.
Secondhand might go up in price if Sennheiser ceases to exist/takes a turn for the worst under new ownership!

edahl

Just add 25%, it's like any other trade good, it's still cheaper.

Jimmy

It doesn't say (or ay least I haven't found it) if they come with the extra balanced cable, which is worth between 200-300$, I already have HD800S so I'm not interested, but if there was a cheaper option without the cable (same as HD800 non S) that would have been my pick.

edahl

Anyone know enough about headphone acoustics to predict what they've done with the driver? They've changed the impedance to be sure, but lower or higher?

edahl

Waiting for stuff is like the modus operandi if you want to buy high end tech in 2020/21.

Top Bottom