• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping USB Input/Windows 10 Issue - Possible Driver Issue

patient_ot

Hardware/software:

Windows 10
Foobar
Topping DX3 Pro LDAC (aka V2)

Was using the USB input this morning when it stopped working. I have Windows 10 set up to automatically install updates. I got an unknown error using Foobar, so I restarted the computer. No dice. Then I went to the Topping website and saw there was an updated driver. I installed the new driver, restarted, no dice. Tried installing it again, again, nothing.

When I open the driver control panel it is not even detecting that the DAC is connected via USB. Tried swapping USB cables, using a USB port hub, nothing. Same problem. I confirmed the USB jack on the computer works, so that isn't the problem. I can try a third cable later today, but somehow I don't think it is the problem either.

Basically, the PC is no longer detecting that the DAC is connected via USB at all. The other inputs on the DAC appear to be working fine.

If anyone knows of a fix for this, please let me know. Very frustrated at this point. Thanks.

gvl

Major Contributor
Can be a hardware failure, try on another PC, if the same issue you'll need to try to get a warranty replacement from the place you bought it from or contact Topping support they may be able to fix it.

aHaidc

Same issue. I tried my DX7 Pro on some Win10 computers and none dectected the DX7Pro. I will try on a Win7 computer tomorrow.

OP
P

patient_ot

Same issue. I tried my DX7 Pro on some Win10 computers and none dectected the DX7Pro. I will try on a Win7 computer tomorrow.

Mine was working fine since February until it stopped working this morning. There have been some Windows 10 updates recently. All the computers I have here are on Windows 10. I will try another PC this afternoon.

OP
P

patient_ot

Emailed Topping and Apos about this issue. I have tried a second Windows 10 PC, multiple USB ports, different cables, etc. and nothing is working. Again, the other inputs work fine, it's just that W10 will not recognize the device over USB. I am hoping this is some kind of driver or firmware issue that Topping can quickly fix.

OP
P

patient_ot

Unplugged the power cord from the dac for a few seconds, then plugged it back in. Now W10 and Foobar recognize it, seems to work with both ASIO and Wasapi. Going to monitor closely for issues. Fingers crossed.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
giphy.gif

veeceem

No luck, win7 do know that something is plugged in, but as an "unknown device" in Computer Management windows
Win10 remains unresponsive

gvl

Major Contributor
You must install the official driver on W7. The fact it sees the device is a good sign.

veeceem

You must install the official driver on W7. The fact it sees the device is a good sign.
No luck after installing driver (old/new drivers tested). The device remains "unknown"
Btw, I see that there are sparks around the USB male plug when I am plugging it into the USB ports on the computers. I don't know if this is normal for 2 devices with different power sources?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No luck after installing driver (old/new drivers tested). The device remains "unknown"
Btw, I see that there are sparks around the USB male plug when I am plugging it into the USB ports on the computers. I don't know if this is normal for 2 devices with different power sources?
That doesn't sound good. As a rule, most computers' USB 2.0 ports provide 0.5 amps (the minimum power for the USB standard)

OP
P

patient_ot

Shut down the computer last night and unplugged USB.

Plugged in USB this morning, booted up W10, and the device was recognized.

Also, I was wrong about buying this device in February. I actually purchased it in October 2019.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had the same issue with my Topping DX7s a few times. Happened today and I forgot how I fixed it last time. Even a factory reset did not help so I gave up, unplugged everything and was ready to switch to another DAC and then found this thread. Plugged it back in and it works now. I had tried power cycling earlier so the only difference here was that I unplugged the power cord and let the unit sit for a while. I have no idea how to explain these shenanigans.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I've had the same issue with my Topping DX7s a few times. Happened today and I forgot how I fixed it last time. Even a factory reset did not help so I gave up, unplugged everything and was ready to switch to another DAC and then found this thread. Plugged it back in and it works now. I had tried power cycling earlier so the only difference here was that I unplugged the power cord and let the unit sit for a while. I have no idea how to explain these shenanigans.
Reinstall driver with the dac unplugg from the PC. And try the new driver maybe.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've never installed any driver for it. It just works with Win10. Tried another PC, so I Ihink this is an issue with the device itself. It's somehow not negotiating the USB handshake ( can't recall how USB protocol works) correctly when it gets into a bad state. Unplugging device somehow resets that bad state. I could be completely wrong, but that's what it seems like to me.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I've never installed any driver for it. It just works with Win10. Tried another PC, so I Ihink this is an issue with the device itself. It's somehow not negotiating the USB handshake ( can't recall how USB protocol works) correctly when it gets into a bad state. Unplugging device somehow resets that bad state. I could be completely wrong, but that's what it seems like to me.
It is that you restarted your computer?

jerm_ph

Long time lurker, first-time poster here.

I also own a DX7 Pro. It was purchased more than a year ago and was very happy with it. USB input was working on my Win10 and Win7 machines and android phone and tablet. Then, it suddenly stopped working with all of them (Win7/10 PC and android devices) just a few weeks ago. Since then, I'm using BT and Optical as inputs.

I don't think it is a driver issue. Connect the DAC to the PC via USB and the PC acts like no new hardware was attached to it. Trying another known-good USB cable does not help either.

Will try to get a USB sniffer/protocol analyzer.

jerm_ph

I've also read from other forums the same USB DAC failures from other manufacturers as well and they are all XMOS based.

aHaidc

Long time lurker, first-time poster here.

I also own a DX7 Pro. It was purchased more than a year ago and was very happy with it. USB input was working on my Win10 and Win7 machines and android phone and tablet. Then, it suddenly stopped working with all of them (Win7/10 PC and android devices) just a few weeks ago. Since then, I'm using BT and Optical as inputs.

I don't think it is a driver issue. Connect the DAC to the PC via USB and the PC acts like no new hardware was attached to it. Trying another known-good USB cable does not help either.

Will try to get a USB sniffer/protocol analyzer.
Mine worked normally but the usb was died out. I was lucky because my DX7Pro was at the last month of warranty. My dealer gave me another one after they confirm it was an USB issue.

Top Bottom