• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
There are rumors of HE6 needing plenty of power, but I'm not sure anyone confirmed that scientifically.

Very easily scientifically proven... just look at the efficiency numbers.

Tortie

Forum Donor
They are very common in the pro circuit.
XLR and TRS are both used for balanced operation. Often consoles even have both and there are plenty of cables going from XLR to TRS and vice-versa. You would have to buy these at music centers etc. Not in your typical HiFi shop. For HiFi TRS 6.3mm is reserved for stereo headphones.

Yeah, very niche. I could see a potential problem coming with the upcoming D10pro dac bridge. It supposedly only has 1/4 inch BO jacks and lacks RCA unbalanced. Imagine the headache it will be to figure out and find suitable cables and/or adapter thingamajigs to connect the D10pro's 1/4 inch to the A30pro's XLR inputs.

Tatteredmidnight

Yeah, very niche. There's a big problem coming with upcoming D10pro dac bridge. It supposedly only has 1/4 inch BO jacks and lacks RCA unbalanced. Imagine the headache it will be to figure out and find suitable cables and/or adapter thingamajigs to connect the D10pro's 1/4 inch to the A30pro's XLR inputs.
It is hardly niche, in fact, xlr/trs combo jacks are quite common as well. Solderdude was probably understating how commonly trs is used for balanced connections in pro audio.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Yeah, very niche. I could see a potential problem coming with the upcoming D10pro dac bridge. It supposedly only has 1/4 inch BO jacks and lacks RCA unbalanced. Imagine the headache it will be to figure out and find suitable cables and/or adapter thingamajigs to connect the D10pro's 1/4 inch to the A30pro's XLR inputs.
Not really a niche product: https://www.sweetwater.com/c813--Balanced_Cables_XLR_to_TRS

Tortie

Forum Donor
It's gives the same power 1/4,4.4mm,xlr gives a tad more not much if I'm correct.

Thanks for pointing that out. I remember reading that but forgot. My concern is

Those cables are pretty darn long, 5ft minimum with some 10 feet. I imagine it's going to more difficult locating a short patch cable with this hybrid configuration for Dac/Amp stack.

Tortie

Forum Donor
It is hardly niche, in fact, xlr/trs combo jacks are quite common as well. Solderdude was probably understating how commonly trs is used for balanced connections in pro audio.

I guess if I go down this route I'll consult with Andrew at Blue Jeans Cable for a custom interconnect cable. It's just something (1/4" BO jacks) I've never seen before in our headphone enthusiast hobby. This type of stuff is usually the domain of recording studios and concert sound stages.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
ImgW.jpeg

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Sorry didn't realize it required three poles per channel.
:edit deleated previous post for creating possible confusion.

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Heck I don't know. This new 1/4 jack implementation is confusing. None of the cable makers I know of even sell balanced 6.35mm cables. There's never been a headphone amp or DAC that's used this method of inputting/outputting BO audio. This is going to confuse the hell out of people.
Not sure if your question was answered yet, but sure they do! It's only a mono balanced TRS, so that's easy to find (stereo balanced TRRS [e.g., for headphones] is harder).
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4761
47611.jpg

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4798
47911.jpg

Both have 1.5ft through 50ft+ available.

Last edited:
Top Bottom