• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AudioQuest Wind High-end Cable Review

JSmith

Master Contributor
" ...considers audio to be defined exclusively by oscilloscope leads...and noise."

Pretty much sums up my thinking about this site. While many measurements can tell you some general and some specific ideas about the sound of a component, I'm still waiting for the graph that shows how that one particular voice in the background of a song sounds just a bit more realistic with one component and not another. The intricacies and depth of detail that we can hear is so underestimated here.
With respect I feel you're misunderstanding the point of measurements here... to further your journey, would it not be best to start with the best measuring cables or devices first and then proceed to listening tests of the various well measured components? Would you put this cable in your system knowing it is this bad? Me thinks you're coming across as rather disingenuous here.

JSmith

raif71

Major Contributor
1613263162703.png

Maybe with all "magic" cables, the brain does the rest ?

raif71

Major Contributor
Thats fun. I zoomed in and your quite right. Brains who'd trust em? :facepalm:
That's true but to the individual, the sound of the cable to him/her came off as "oh just so sublime" and nobody can say otherwise. In this case, his/her brain overcompensate the "idea of improvements" in such a way to make him/her perceive the sound as being better.

GuidoK

I found the cable I was referring earlier about.
One of the cheapest rca interlinks where the manufacturer actually specifies the capacitance (and the capacitance is still acceptably for MM/MI carts; (my rule of thumb is everything <100pF is OK))
https://www.musicstore.com/en_US/US...RCA-Cinch-Cable-0-9-m-Rean/art-ACC0003276-000
https://www.cordial-cables.com/en/products/cfu-cc
(probably only interesting to EU customers due to shipping costs. Thomann is another distributor with low shipping in EU)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Don’t think we talking about the same thing.

Pleases allow me to make an crude practical Example

just measured measured 200µA AC RMS from 5V USB power supply to mains ground
And random RCA to 3,5mm cable measured with 27Ohms!

We aren't talking about the same thing. How many people will be using that cable ? I agree with mansr random cables and are much lower resistance. Can you see someone using the tested cable over 20m ?

It was tested with a ~"600ohm" DI box and also shorted in both cases its its audible.

So no line level home audio. As I mentioned microphone cables etc are another matter. The cable in question here is not for usage with DI boxes.
For home audio cables are stationary. Nobody is moving those cables. It is not a required test for this cable test.

My line level 1:1 audio transformers have about 150ohm at DC. that is on both sides so ac impedance is in the order of >300Ohm.

That's not unusually high is it ? a few kohm is.

I don't see how 50ohm seems reasonable in this case since Safty Earth ground is mandatory low impedance.

Safety ground resistance has absolutely nothing to do with ground loop currents. Of course when one is using 2 very different outlets over a large distance where both outlets are heavily loaded (and leakage currents flow) or different safety ground points are used as well as non balanced cables then there could be a very low resistance path causing a voltage drop across the ground. That's where groundloop breakers are for.
Not so common in home systems. Common on stages with lighting, control and mic cables mixed. The professional that uses a ****** 10m long questionable cable in this situation doesn't fully understand what he is working with.

And the resistance range I mentioned is not fictional but is used in EMC testing etc. Clearly you are not experienced in this field.
A groundloop usually is caused by leakage currents from power supplies and lack of proper grounding where currents flow where they were not intended.
Besides safety ground may well be a very low for DC to 100Hz or so. It is very high resistance for RF. It does literally nothing against HF noise.

Last edited:

Lambda

Major Contributor
How many people will be using that cable ?
More then the 2000$ cable (i hope :p)
I know that my example is strongly exaggerated, that's on purpose.
The point is the cable would Still measure fine, and if the measurement can't even resolve this extreme case it might not be the proper measurement.

That's not unusually high is it ? a few kohm is.
Exactly what i'm saying a view hundred ohmes are not unusually high with audiofool gear. but significantly more then the test condition?
I can almost see a view kohm, for example from a passive preamp (poti) to the amp.

Safety ground resistance has absolutely nothing to do with ground loop currents.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erdschleife#/media/Datei:Erdschleife_Sender_Empfänger.svg
You saw the picture?
Its clearly a loop and its flowing trough ground? how is and why is that not a ground loop in your mind?

1920px-Ground_loop_-_induced_currents.svg.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)#Sources_of_ground_current
Since its resistance is very low, often less than 1 ohm, the induced currents can be large.

Of course when one is using 2 very different outlets over a large distance where both outlets are heavily loaded
Or Voltage is present caused by induction.

Or as in my example a TV is maybe ground referenced over the CableTV cable and/or satellite receiver over Antenna ground.
Those grounds are also referenced to Safety/earth ground but someware not locally.

That's where groundloop breakers are for
I don't think they are legal for consumer electronics in Germany? but i don't know.

Not so common in home systems.
X155-1020-call01-sp.jpg

This seems like a common setup for many people i talk to.
And having Noise/Humm issues is a common problem that comes with it.

The professional that uses a ****** 10m long questionable cable in this situation doesn't fully understand what he is working with.

I have the Noobie in mind Not the Professional!
Someone just want to connect there Laptop/PC to there HiFi so they can listen to music from YouTube.
Someone less experienced in a PC forum will link to this and think
"Well this cable stuff is all snake oil... audiophiles they cant even see a difference with a 2000€ cable and i only want to listen to spottily...So i might as well buy the cheapest 10m cable from AliExpress/Whish/Amazon..."

So they end up with noise problems they don't understand.."its fine with headphones"

Someday they out of desperation they might buy a proper cable and the noise will be noticeably lower.
"looks like they are wrong... i only changed the cable and it made a difference to me... maybe the 100$ is actually slightly better then the 50$ cabble... after all the 50$ cable was better then the 2$ one...."
And this way a new potential customer for a 2000$ cable is made.

And the resistance range I mentioned is not fictional but is used in EMC testing etc
Can you link me to what exact test/standard your referring to?
I thin again we are talking about different things since Low impedance local grounds like metal tables are vital for some measurements.

A groundloop usually is caused by leakage currents from power supplies and lack of proper grounding
What kind of leakage are you talking about?
I assume "parasitic interwinding capacitance" this can leak switching frequency currents
and the class y capacitor (pressent to supress switching frequency currents ) leaks mains frequency current

Besides safety ground may well be a very low for DC to 100Hz
Well i don't know how and why you think that's true. Where is the inductance to explain this 100Hz drop of coming from?

But in my case that's not even of interest, the local Ground impedance is.
Referring to the picture above im talking About the impedance from C1 to C2.
If both devices are "properly" Grounded the impedance between them can be verry low and mainly resistiv
And depending on implementation its also low impedance in the KHz-MHz range.
If C2 is not Ground it is captivity referenced to mains and/or neutral.

It is very high resistance for RF. It does literally nothing against HF noise.
If we are talking about RF start thinking in wavelength! 1/4 lambda of a view Mhz is right in the ballpark of a typical ground loop size...

that's why we have this things https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantelwellenfilter#/media/Datei:Ferrite_clamp-on.jpg

"If you have to peaces of high end professional audio gear right next to each other under ideal conditions there is almost no difference between an 30$ high quality brand cable and sanke oil scam cable"
No one in there right mind would argue with this!

I'm pointing out that this dose not translate to:
" under all conditions its proven that there can't be any cable influence "
" Less professional or less high end gear means the cable can have even less of an influence"
" if the 30$ cable is fine for amir the 50cent cable is fine for me"
(btw. buy 50cent cabels myself and in fact they are fine for me in some applications)

I'm not saying that this was said by Amir but it seems to be that's this is what some take away from it.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You saw the picture?
Its clearly a loop and its flowing trough ground? how is and why is that not a ground loop in your mind?

1920px-Ground_loop_-_induced_currents.svg.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)#Sources_of_ground_current

That is a groundloop. The issues arise mostly IN C1 and C2 and it depends on the difference in ground POTENTIAL. When the ground potential is0 you have a loop but it is not an issue.

Exactly what i'm saying a view hundred ohmes are not unusually high with audiofool gear. but significantly more then the test condition?
I can almost see a view kohm, for example from a passive preamp (poti) to the amp.

Ofcourse capacitance will have an influence on max. frequency response in this case. So you suggest that Amir measures the response with various output resistances as well as different loads (capacitance and resistance) and combinations of this ?

Or as in my example a TV is maybe ground referenced over the CableTV cable and/or satellite receiver over Antenna ground.
Those grounds are also referenced to Safety/earth ground but someware not locally.

This is the biggest problem with AVR's connecting everything. Would circumstances in all housholds be similar and how many AVR's and gear should one test to get a baseline of 'allowed' currents ?
Would this degrade sound quality or would there be hum or whines or weird noises only ?
In such case one would have to trouble shoot at the spot.
Measuring the shield resistance, in no way, will predict how much 'nasties' there will be in different circumstances.

What baseline common mode currents would you suggest ? Will that current have the same audible effect on system A and B ?
Will that be influenced a lot when using run of the mill or expensive cables ?

I don't think they are legal for consumer electronics in Germany? but i don't know.

Often used in studio gear. It really is NOT an issue as long as there is local grounds still connected or a ground is obtained from the other device.
I think it is assumed folks connecting such gear knows what they are doing. However, there are always clips of guitarists or singers getting a jolt here and there. Could well be a faulty cable somewhere.
Chances in big PA systems one runs into grounds with a different potential (is what causes the hum) are much bigger than PA.

This seems like a common setup for many people i talk to.
And having Noise/Humm issues is a common problem that comes with it.

Yes ground loops is a very common problem. I think we both know that solving it very rarely is done through changing a SE interlink cable.
When it is it is either a special cable (a directional one) or the cable is broken.

EMC testing depends on the requested/needed norms. Often for leakage certain impedances are required. Dive into the extreme world of EMC testing and you will find out what the required norms are and why and how to simulate.

Well i don't know how and why you think that's true. Where is the inductance to explain this 100Hz drop of coming from?

50-120 Hz is mains components. Of course there is no sharp drop of above 100Hz. A wire from your gear, via the mains safety ground in the wall wiring down to the point where it is grounded will have a vastly different impedance for RF than for LF.

What kind of leakage are you talking about?
I assume "parasitic interwinding capacitance" this can leak switching frequency currents
and the class y capacitor (pressent to supress switching frequency currents ) leaks mains frequency current

Of course, especially the latter is a big issue as almost everything is fed with SMPS these days and often even double insulated.

Ferrites on cables ONLY do something for common mode RF noise. They are mostly there to ensure the equipment passes emission and or immunity tests for RF (the home is filled with this these days).
When was the last time you solved a groundloop with a ferrite ?

I'm pointing out that this dose not translate to:
" under all conditions its proven that there can't be any cable influence "
" Less professional or less high end gear means the cable can have even less of an influence"
" if the 30$ cable is fine for amir the 50cent cable is fine for me"

So you feel a cable test should be for all conditions including microphone, TT cartridges, various extremes that might occur using transformers (peaking) or passive pre-amps ?

The price and professional or consumer both exist in all price classes and build quality. The influence a cable can have largely depends on the used gear.

No one will conclude 'if the 30$ cable is fine for amir the 50cent cable is fine for me' rather I believe the opposite is more common belief 'if the 30$ cable is fine for amir than the more expensive cable is even better for me'

Basically you agree the cable is snake oil but are of the opinion much more tests are needed including EMC testing and under a myriad of different conditions and also capacitance, inductance, conductor resistance, shielding for various types of fields and perhaps even polarity and magnetic influence acc. to certain standards is needed to be able to state 'this is a good cable and worth $10k because it complies to these standards.

Personally I think the tests done with interlinks (including null tests which are easy for interlinks) isn't enough to conclude that one pays too much ?

What price would you feel would justify which measurement aspect ? Is 0.50 enough? $ 5-, $ 20.- $ 100.- ?
When does it become snake oil ? Is that when claims are made ? Is it because expensive wires and or connectors are used ?
When one is prepared to fork out $ 10k because one likes the way it looks and has a $ 100k sound system and does not care about value ?
Does one HAVE to buy an expensive cable ?

DSJR

Major Contributor
Mono is quite fashionable these days amongst the horn/DHT set.

In any case, if it were me and I was using single ended phono (mine runs balanced) and wanted to keep the price rock-bottom, I'd go with something like this. Foamed polyolefin dielectric will give almost no triboelectric effect, low capacitance, and high flexibility (extremely important).

I didn't know this one - and it is available in the UK so thanks for the link :)

Last autumn/fall, I bought a 1m Amazon Basics RCA cable 'for a giggle' to see if it was any good and darn me, I thought it was great. No idea what the inner insulation is though, but the double shielding and claimed high quality copper inside piqued my interest.

Maybe in several years' time, the insulation may react with the copper inside and the whole thing will have 'gone off' as I've seen (and thought I heard) some black speaker cables do.

Mind you, after seeing that basically B&W picture done in such a way that our brains make up the difference, I really despair now of the entire subjectivist audio camp who buy into this stuff - but this latter group is so huge and still with substantial spending power in many international markets..

Lambda

Major Contributor
difference in ground POTENTIAL. When the ground potential is0 you have a loop but it is not an issue.
Yes. This Difference in potential can be created by Induction.
Any time-varying magnetic flux passing through the loop induces an electromotive force (EMF) in the loop, causing a time varying current to flow. The loop acts like a short circuited single-turn "transformer winding"; any AC magnetic flux from nearby transformers, electric motors, or just adjacent power wiring, will induce AC currents in the loop by induction. In general, the larger the area spanned by the loop, the larger the magnetic flux through it, and the larger the induced currents will be.

and/or/at RF frequency's the loop impedance can appear high and the voltage can become significant.

output resistances as well as different loads (capacitance and resistance) and combinations of this ?
Why not use an relative realistic "worst case".
600-1200Ohm would be my suggestion maybe 1K to make the math easy? it dose not relay matter.

One test to get a baseline of 'allowed' currents ?
Just pick a somewhat realistic round number that's easy to test and test with and with out.
the Effect should scale linearly. you can extrapolate from there.
I would use like 1mA or even 10mA to measure. that's intentionally high but it makes the difference more obvious. and easy to measure.
Since its linear you can easily calculate the noise contributed at a "typical" 100µA level.

Would this degrade sound quality or would there be hum or whines or weird noises only ?
I consider adding whatever as degrading sound quality.

Measuring the shield resistance, in no way, will predict how much 'nasties' there will be in different circumstances.
For LF the noise is directly proportional to Current and Resistance. The formula is in the picture from Wikipedia.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erdschleife#/media/Datei:Erdschleife_Sender_Empfänger.svg

Will that current have the same audible effect on system A and B ?
Will that be influenced a lot when using run of the mill or expensive cables
If we are talking about LF noise in the audio range and common mode current over the cable.
Then yes for most "normal" system it would be about the same.

The influence of an "good" cable with low(er) contact and screen resistance would be linearly proportional lower added noise per current.
(formula in the picture)

With RF common mode currents its a slightly different story!
they would still be added proportional to the resistance but the way System A would be influenced by them can be dramatically different to system B. Depending on there internal RF filtering and rejection.

A High quality cable can increase the common mode Impedance (especially inductance) with Ferrites (or other magnetic materials)
and therefore reduce the common mode current. (only effective at high frequency)

Ferrites on cables ONLY do something for common mode RF noise
A ferrit bead adds like 4-8µH of inductance. if the cable is passed trough once.
Thats like 0.002Ohm at 60hz or
I think we can both agree that this is insignificantly small Compared to the cable resistance (maybe 0.2Ohm for high end cable?)
If we use 2 of then on both ends at 20kHz its ~2ohm.
so at this frequency its increasing the loop impedance by a factor of 10 and potentially decreasing current by the same factor.

At 200khz-1Mhz this feritte becomes more lossy and adds even more resistance in the order of 50-100Ohm.

TL;DR Yes you can say they are only effective at RF
But thy are only like 25cent...
grounded will have a vastly different impedance for RF than for LF.
Of cause!
I was tough you want to say there is some sort of corner frequency point at ~100Hz

But the local loop impedance is whats interesting. On an airplane they same problem can apply even if its PetaOhms from the Earth ground.

Ferrites on cables ONLY do something for common mode RF noise. They are mostly there to ensure the equipment passes emission and or immunity tests for RF (the home is filled with this these days).

ensure the equipment passes emission and or immunity tests for RF
Exactly.
My vintage 70s Amplifier was never build to connect to a PC that has >30-500kHz Common mode noise.
Or to an Phone with 1-2MHz form its charger and 800MHz to GHz noise fro its modems.

To clarify: Since current need a loop to flow and its flowing to ground i would consider this a ground loop! (at least for the PC and Charger case)

When was the last time you solved a groundloop with a ferrite ?
If my examples satisfy your definition of an ground loop. Than this happened not so loge ago.

I Connected a PCs internal sound card via "3,5mm to RCA cable" to the Amplifier and got noise issue if i move the mouse.
The amplifier was double insulated an if connected to nothing else expect power an PC the noise was mostly gone.
Connecting its case properly to Ground made the noise worse.

Adding 2 ferrite on both sides of the RCA cable with 2 or 3 turns solved this
emc-wurth-electronics-uk-ltd-62-638.jpg

For good measure and because i ordered more then i need i added some more to the other cables

Not sure counts as "ground loop" to you but it did exactly what you said It suppressed noise emission from the PC and made the amplifier more Immune.

The influence a cable can have largely depends on the used gear.
This is what i'm trying to say!
And with the gear used to conduct the test and under this conditions it is hard to think of any real bad cable.

So you feel a cable test should be for all conditions including microphone, TT cartridges, various extremes that might occur using transformers (peaking) or passive pre-amps ?
No! Its Sufficient to test it under the challenging and extrem conditions, from there easy to judged
its performance under ideal and non challenging conditions.
The other way around its impossible.

Basically you agree the cable is snake oil
Don't we all? I think no one is surprised from the test result or changed his/her mind about this cable because of the test.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes. This Difference in potential can be created by Induction.

and that's exactly what was tested by Amir. Just not calibrated what could be done (and more) in an EMC lab which Amir does not have.

Why not use an relative realistic "worst case".
600-1200Ohm would be my suggestion maybe 1K to make the math easy? it dose not relay matter.

I already explained why. Most cases will be 'standard' audio equipment and thus low (below 100 Ohm) output R and between 5k and 100k loads.
These already are variables.
This would mean Amir would have to test a few Ohm, 100 Ohm, 600 Ohm, 2k Ohm as source and a few loads (with or without a certain capacitance or God forbid a cheap line transformer.
That is a LOT of combinations.
Sure one could say measure 1 Ohm and 2kOhm but neither are representative. In case of the latter the cable length and geometry matters (capacitance) as well as the load.

Ever published this ? It would mean only 1 review/week for Amir..... :eek:

I Connected a PCs internal sound card via "3,5mm to RCA cable" to the Amplifier and got noise issue if i move the mouse.
The amplifier was double insulated an if connected to nothing else expect power an PC the noise was mostly gone.
Connecting its case properly to Ground made the noise worse.

Adding 2 ferrite on both sides of the RCA cable with 2 or 3 turns solved this

That's exactly what they are for. To lower HF common mode currents in specific cases. It will do NOTHING for ground loops with voltage differences between ground points, at least not in the audible band.

What the ferrite does in your case is increase the impedance for common mode but NOT for the signals traveling through that cable. A lower HF (does nothing for mains leakage etc.) that is lowered beyond the point where semiconductors in the 'receiving' circuit act as AM-detectors is what took care of this typical RF problem.

A ferrite is only filtering common mode. It increases the common mode impedance and not the differential mode (what is passing through the coax).
Sure, some amps internally have the input wire going through a ferrite (1 or more windings) as a filter but this is not possible for a cable as measured. You could only change the common mode impedance of that cable and thus won't influence the FR.
Only specific ferrites (there are different types for different freq. bands) only do something just outside of the audible band.

No! Its Sufficient to test it under the challenging and extrem conditions, from there easy to judged
its performance under ideal and non challenging conditions.
The other way around its impossible.

So you do feel that the test was inconclusive because not a lot more tests were done under many extreme conditions ?
Say audio, magnetic and EM field testing over a larger band than the audio band under various source and load conditions.
So many, many more tests to come to a similar conclusion that the cable is too expensive and had poorer magnetic shielding than a generic cable.

In that case I would suggest to take an AP to an EMC test lab, rent that and a tech for several days and publish the results for free.
Take along a few cables and rent the EMC lab for a week or 2.

Lambda

Major Contributor
and that's exactly what was tested by Amir. Just not calibrated what could be done (and more) in an EMC lab which Amir does not have.
And this was the only test able to show a real difference.
It dose not need to be calibrated but a little bit more reproducible would be nice.

That is a LOT of combinations.
Do you listen?
Just one measurement with a relativity High known resistor is sufficient to calculate the performance from there.
EDIT: one change mayor change to the setup now add 1K
o lower HF common mode currents in specific cases. It will do NOTHING for ground loops
Whats the return part for the current?
Its ground... so why you refuse to call it ground loop?

What the ferrite does in your case is increase the impedance for common mode but NOT for the signals traveling through that cable. A lower HF
It effectively is a common mode choke and thas what they do

(does nothing for mains leakage etc.)
Well It effectively is a common mode choke with a very small inductance. therefore its effect at mains frequency is negligibly small.

A ferrite is only filtering common mode. It increases the common mode impedance and not the differential mode (what is passing through the coax).
Yes i know that's what common mode chokes do

You could only change the common mode impedance of that cable and thus won't influence the FR.
And the ideal Connection would have:
High common mode impedance
Low differential impedance
and no influence on FR

Only specific ferrites (there are different types for different freq. bands)
I know. I have some education about soft magnetic materials.

only do something just outside of the audible band.
If you mean having high losses at audible band then yes only some.
But as long as you keep em from saturating there is no reason a ferrit would not work at audible frequency's.
But as mentioned the effect is very limited because of the low inductance.

So you do feel that the test was inconclusive because not a lot more tests were done under many extreme conditions
The conclusions that can be drawn from the test have limits and don't apply in all cases.
that's all.

To me it feels like your trying to attack me and and undermine my knowledge of the topic.

So i'm not sure if you actually interested discussing constructive ideas and maybe now concepts to streamline the testing and make the results more Conclusive.
In a way that they are not less Conclusive then they are now for this case.

1. the use of a defined as source impedance 1K
Why? Why not? the higher the better the captive cable influences show up. Same reason one would scale the y axis to +-1dB
Same reason we look at the distortion graph down to -140dB and not just cut it off at -115 and say its perfect. its nice to see

2. Replace the transform test with something like this.
s-l500.jpg

Play a Sine sweep at given volume. still not calibrated or linear but reproducible and comparable.
Also Rejection vs. frequency

also. Terminate the cable under test in something like this
10pcs-lot-Straight-RCA-Female-to-Female-Adapter-Screw-Mount-Gold-Plated-Dual-RCA-Coupler-Extender.jpg_350x350.jpg

Connect there grounds together so measured Loop impedance is only(mainly) cable impedance + contact impedance.

3. (Tahts an independent/extra test)
Connect one side to of the cable to the AP analyzer and short the other side with an end cap.
510W2rvVhyL._SX342_.jpg

Something like this but the other way around...

Then use a audio amplifier and a resistor to apply Commenmode Current to to the shorted end.
Play a sine sweep and you Have a common mode current picup/rejection over frequency.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Do you listen?
Just one measurement with a relativity High known resistor is sufficient to calculate the performance from there.
EDIT: one change mayor change to the setup now add 1K

Its not just 1 measurement is it ? It would be all measurements thus double the time. And then you only have 50 Ohm and 1k. People like you will complain why not higher, why not 2k or 600 Ohm.

Yes i know that's what common mode chokes do

It is not a common mode choke. A common mode choke filters signal lines (in common mode).
A ferrite only increases the impedance on the outside of the cable and does do anythingt to the signal inside the shield.

1. the use of a defined as source impedance 1K
Why? Why not? the higher the better the captive cable influences show up. Same reason one would scale the y axis to +-1dB
Same reason we look at the distortion graph down to -140dB and not just cut it off at -115 and say its perfect. its nice to see

Why 1k ? for which cable length ? Is it a standard test ? when using a 1k source what load should be used ?
Why not just measure capacitance per meter and you can calculate the FR at any source resistance you want ?
Upto which frequency should be measured ?
Only FR bit also distortion ? Test with and without magnetic or electric fields at which strength and why at a particular strength ?

That's the problem with 'adding' additional measurements... there will always be more to measure.

Just write a proposal with tests for Amir. Tests that make sense and are preferably standardized and ask if he is willing to buy a clamp and inject signals. What signals do you want. What fieldstrength and what bands ? What currents do you want injected in the shield or should Amir just connect a 1V trafo across the screen ? What resistance should that circuit have ? Only mains ? What magnetic fields should be used ?

2. Replace the transform test with something like this.
s-l500.jpg

Play a Sine sweep at given volume. still not calibrated or linear but reproducible and comparable.
Also Rejection vs. frequency

also. Terminate the cable under test in something like this
10pcs-lot-Straight-RCA-Female-to-Female-Adapter-Screw-Mount-Gold-Plated-Dual-RCA-Coupler-Extender.jpg_350x350.jpg

Connect there grounds together so measured Loop impedance is only(mainly) cable impedance + contact impedance.

Why ? what would this tell you ? Why not inject the proper way and calibrated using a clamp ?

3. (Tahts an independent/extra test)
Connect one side to of the cable to the AP analyzer and short the other side with an end cap.
510W2rvVhyL._SX342_.jpg

Something like this but the other way around...

Then use a audio amplifier and a resistor to apply Commenmode Current to to the shorted end.
Play a sine sweep and you Have a common mode current picup/rejection over frequency.

What would this test show you ? Why not inject common mode currents with a clamp ? At least then it is done the proper way and controlled ?
That's what EMC lab test equipment is for ?
What would be a real world situation ? Would the short also have to be replaced with say 50 Ohm, or your 1k ?

I get it you want more immunity tests. There are standardized tests for this with actual test fixtures and equipment. Why do any non calibrated and not controlled 'McGyver' tests.

As mentioned. Write a test protocol for Amir with all the (standardized) test protocols and needed equipment so Amir can evaluate your proposal and hope he has time and funds and is willing to implement this on his testing.

A simple test clamp and tone generator, clamped over a measured cord and Amir can inject certain common mode frequencies into the screen of a cable. Don't propose McGyver testing that is not repeatable and calibrated..

Top Bottom