• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A30Pro Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm wondering for how long it can deliver 5.5W (or a third of 5.5W) before it runs into overheating.

respice finem

Major Contributor
I'm wondering for how long it can deliver 5.5W (or a third of 5.5W) before it runs into overheating.
This thing at least has vent holes in the top cover, my RME only on its sides, but doesn't overheat still. My guess: The ears will "overheat" sooner :)

Nango

Major Contributor
Balanced output is NOT twice the single ended output so this circuitry is not real balanced but kind of "bridged" output only ..... Right?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Balanced output is NOT twice the single ended output so this circuitry is not real balanced but kind of "bridged" output only ..... Right?
Not bridged just same wiring. The connectors are just for convenience. But the power is still very high. Designed for He6 and DT880 600Ohm.

Veri

Master Contributor
It is single ended amplification. 4.4mm is like iFi "s-balanced" though: shared ground, better crosstalk. So still better on paper, correct me if I'm wrong @JohnYang1997.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
@amirm It is definitely the time to be testing the protection mechanisms integrated into these products (hopefully) to save attached (and expensive) headphones from accidents.

I suggest the following:

1) DC protection.
Inject an offset of x mV and wind up the volume. Monitor the output and call the level at which the amplifier triggers its onboard DC trip (or not).
2) Short circuit protection.
Wind up the level to full rated power and short the outputs. Describe the protection (or lack thereof) behaviour.
3) Overdrive/Overpower protection
Is there a level where the device enables protection based on clipping (running into the rails) or excess current consumption?

Traditional amplifiers have had these protection modes (and others) for many decades and now headphone amplifiers are getting serious in the power department, these parameters should be tested and/or commented upon.
All the said condition will put the amplifier into protection mode.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Yeah I think you're right. I hear a lot of people getting obsessed with headroom, or that having headroom somehow makes an amp sound better, even if you're not using the power? The HE-6 has definitely gained it's own mystique in that way.

I was surprised to see no PRE position on the switches, most of toppings offerings do have this. Personally I have several SMSL products with no specific preamp position though, and honestly it hasn't bothered me as much as I expected. Unplugging headphones is nearly the same amount of work as flipping a switch in my book, though perhaps not as convenient or seamless.
This amplifier doesn't have preamp. It's pass through.

ZööZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This amplifier doesn't have preamp. It's pass through.
what a shame, here I was thinking I could give motu m4 a pass and get this (if the price is right) and E30 to drive my monitors balanced also and still keep the UMC204HD for my mic. Guess I'll stick with my Atom afterall

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
what a shame, here I was thinking I could give motu m4 a pass and get this (if the price is right) and E30 to drive my monitors balanced also and still keep the UMC204HD for my mic. Guess I'll stick with my Atom afterall
Why not use just dac? It's meant to pair with D30pro which has extremely low noise(better than almost all other analogue preamps).

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Thanks for clarifying, but why is that? That'll be a drawback for many, I guess.
Some people don't like the preamp of A90(ouch). The main reason is that we can't have true balanced output after amplification which is single ended. Also balanced output needs more relays. So this is a very natual cut down in function. However it's meant to be paired with D30pro which has the lowest noise measured and actually better than almost all analogue preamps. D30pro makes great preamp.

ZööZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why not use just dac? It's meant to pair with D30pro which has extremely low noise(better than almost all other analogue preamps).
Price mainly ofcourse I'm just speculating but I bet d30pro to be quite a bit pricier than E30 (which doesn't have balanced outs)

EDIT but on the other hand e30 volume controls might work with it also?

Top Bottom