• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Physical media and money for artists

Grumple

Forum Donor
Good day all. Obviously we all enjoy listening to music (despite what some "over there" forums might think) and, one assumes, we would like the artists that make that music to continue to do so (assuming they aren't dead or churining out rubbish). Further to that, streaming services are, imho, rather fantastic. Considering as a 13 yr old I would toil away delivering news papers in all weathers to make enough money in a week to buy appoximately half a CD album I cannot be more delighted with the choice and cost. And yet, very few artists are likely to make any money whatsoever by having their music on streaming services. For this reason, and for being a generally altruistic sort, (one who likes to brag about said altruism on internet forums), I often purchase physical copies of albums as a way of seeing some revenue go to the artists. I prefer to purchase vinyl as the artwork is more impressive at "LP" size. If the artwork is crap I might buy the CD. What I would really like though is for laserdisc to become resurgent (and also cheap) so that I can have the quality of cd audio with the larger size artwork and potentially more expansive booklet or whatever else might be included.

My question then is, what do other people do about this? Do other people even care?

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
And I hear you about the artwork. I know for myself there are a handful of albums where I've purchased the digital version and then went out and bought a vinyl copy -- typically used at a local record store. Along with the artists I like to support the locally-owned music shops if I can. For example: long ago I bought "Quadrophenia" (The Who) and then several years ago I bought the LP for the artwork. (I also like playing vinyl so it wasn't just for the artwork.) Found it for $5 at a place called 101 Music when I lived in San Francisco. Pretty happy with that find as it's a basement filled with records but none of them are alphabetized and they are barely categorized. :oops:

IMG_5148_small.png

IMG_5149_small.png

OP
Grumple

Grumple

Forum Donor
And I hear you about the artwork. I know for myself there are a handful of albums where I've purchased the digital version and then went out and bought a vinyl copy -- typically used at a local record store. Along with the artists I like to support the locally-owned music shops if I can. For example: long ago I bought "Quadrophenia" (The Who) and then several years ago I bought the LP for the artwork. (I also like playing vinyl so it wasn't just for the artwork.) Found it for $5 at a place called 101 Music when I lived in San Francisco. Pretty happy with that find as it's a basement filled with records but none of them are alphabetized and they are barely categorized. :oops:

View attachment 112315
View attachment 112317
That place looks bananas. I like it.

Katji

Major Contributor
Yes...I hope they're surviving.

Top Bottom