• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aekre

Hello everyone,
i know this can be a pleonastic post but I´ve been since weeks looking for the best monitors suitable to me and I still didn´t ended up with nothing.
It´s really hard times so it´s quite impossible go to some music shop to test it so i have to trust internet and what i reed
That´s why i am here :)

So first I mostly use monitors to listen to music but i also do sound designing
Music and what i do is almost influenced by the music i love to listen: Autechre, Tim hecker, Ben frost, Ital tek, Biosphere, etc etc
I really love cleaning sounds and i consider myself an Audiophile, i really enjoy listen to the all details from a track or synth or whatever

I am mostly using hardwares, and software only to edit (Nuendo)

I ended up that i wanted to buy one of those monitors but still can´t decide:
Hedd type 05, Genelec 8030cp, Adam a7x, Aps klasik 2020, Dynaudio lyd 07, Dynaudio BM15a or BM6a
Which one from this would you recommend me for the music i do?
I am of course open also to consider other brands :)
My budget is around 1200€

My first worry is if monitors like the Genelec, i´ve reed that they are great because of the flat sound, are maybe not suitable for listening and are dedicated mostly for mixing and mastering?
I've never own quality hi-fi speakers so I'm very confused about it

Thank you a lot
Love this Forum
Best wishes
Aekre

Geert

Major Contributor
Audiophool logic: studio speakers are to revealing and not musical (like it's the speakers making music instead of the musicians), than buy high end speakers that make their feet tap, than spend thousands of $ on high distortion DAC's and amps and esoteric cables to make those speakers sound right...

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
@Aekre I like similar music.

There's no qualitative difference between studio monitors and other speakers. I would look only at Genelec or Neumann and call it a day. They are safe choices. If you want to get deep and start considering relative strengths and weaknesses you'll have to learn a lot about how speakers work and how to read measurements.

Moonhead

Dont rule out Neumann.

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
None of mentioned here. If I understand your tastes right, you'll need subwoofer.
I'd look for some Neumanns with adding subwoofer later.
This looks suitable https://www.thomann.de/de/neumann_kh_120_a_bundle.htm
Then you can add this https://www.thomann.de/de/neumann_kh_750_dsp.htm

So, I'd not even think about buying something without auditioning if you can't get moneyback. Unless 1200E is a pocket money for you.
What is your reference point in audio reproduction now? Some headphones?

is if monitors like the Genelec
All the monitors are different, and all the listeners are different, so it's better to check them out personally. Some people are very sensitive to some drivers, like AMT ribbons and metal domes.
In case of very good electronic music composers usually write it through nice monitors. Check out Noisia and Yello maybe ...
You can find out what exactly use your favourite artist. For example Autechre use BM15A.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
All the monitors are different, and all the listeners are different, so it's better to check them out personally. Some people are very sensitive to some drivers, like AMT ribbons and metal domes.
This is pure conjecture and unhelpful. What matters is the measured result, not drivers materials or other factors. You hear only the pressure at your eardrums. Driver discussions are useful only to explain performance, not preference.

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is pure conjecture and unhelpful. What matters is the measured result, not drivers materials or other factors.
Personally I don't care about this matter, but there are people who can't withstand some special drivers and I can't recommend anything without listening. Measured result is good, but people buy speakers and listening experience but not measured results.
I prefer to look superstitious than recommend something that turn out being annoying in long listening sessions.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
people who can't withstand some special drivers
There is no evidence of this at all.

What is annoying is resonance, driver breakup, uneven radiation. Those depend on the way the speaker and drivers are built, not the driver type.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Hedd type 05
According to specs, pretty flat on axis (specs quote +/-1.5dB 52hz-20khz), but rolls off relatively early in the bottom end. No mention of dispersion though it is waveguided so it should be okay... Haven't tried these in person. Not a ton of amp (50w + 50w ICEPower Class D) so depending on how loud you listen they may run out of steam. EDIT: The Mk2 version is 100w/100w. The drivers will run out of steam before the amp does now. The ability to plug the ports is nice (I'm not a big fan of bass reflex in general, so there's that).
Genelec 8030c
Solid performers, similar to the Type 05 in terms of frequency response and power output. Other 8XX0 series speakers have gotten good reviews on here.
Skip these. Scoop, sizzle, and boom describes them accurately.
Aps klasik 2020
Never used these, couldn't tell you anything about them. People seem to like them over on GS, though....
Dynaudio lyd 7
If the LYD 5 review is anything to go by, these are pretty decent but nothing special and the lyd line isn't worth looking at if you're considering the next two.
Dynaudio BM15a or BM6a
The BM15A is a very nice speaker IME but is in a different price class than others compared here and is also quite a bit larger. BM6 is cool too, slightly less bottom end than the BM15A and slightly higher crossover (2.2k instead of 1.8k). No DSP in either of these IIRC, they're just active analog crossovers. This isn't inherently bad, just means they got the analog side engineering right. Lots more amp in the BM15A than most others here (200w bass/100w tweeter).

Neumann is definitely worth a look as well in this range. KH120s are very solid speakers especially for the price.

My first worry is if monitors like the Genelec, i´ve reed that they are great because of the flat sound, are maybe not suitable for listening and are dedicated mostly for mixing and mastering?

Nah, I listen to music on my Barefoots all the time. I like having speakers that get out of the way of the music. This myth comes up from the common use of the (rather ugly sounding) Yamaha NS10 as a studio monitor - even though it was intended as a home audio speaker, but we'll ignore that part.

There is no evidence of this at all.

What is annoying is resonance, driver breakup, uneven radiation. Those depend on the way the speaker and drivers are built, not the driver type.

Pretty much. The problem with the more specialized drivers is that people aren't familiar with their particular quirks, which leads to poor designs and therefore poor performance.

Last edited:

Gurkerl

Skip these. Scoop, sizzle, and boom describes them accurately.

Was that your personal impression of them, or are they genuinely not well engineered? A lot of sites seem to praise them.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Was that your personal impression of them, or are they genuinely not well engineered? A lot of sites seem to praise them.
They sound impressive on first blush but they're probably the least accurate marketed-as-flat speakers I've ever used. This is an anechoic on-axis measurement of an A7X. Lots of bass, lots of treble, and rather strange midrange behavior.
1613173173538.png

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello everyone,
i know this can be a pleonastic post but I´ve been since weeks looking for the best monitors suitable to me and I still didn´t ended up with nothing.
It´s really hard times so it´s quite impossible go to some music shop to test it so i have to trust internet and what i reed
That´s why i am here :)

So first I mostly use monitors to listen to music but i also do sound designing
Music and what i do is almost influenced by the music i love to listen: Autechre, Tim hecker, Ben frost, Ital tek, Biosphere, etc etc
I really love cleaning sounds and i consider myself an Audiophile, i really enjoy listen to the all details from a track or synth or whatever

I am mostly using hardwares, and software only to edit (Nuendo)

I ended up that i wanted to buy one of those monitors but still can´t decide:
Hedd type 05, Genelec 8030cp, Adam a7x, Aps klasik 2020, Dynaudio lyd 07, Dynaudio BM15a or BM6a
I am of course open also to consider other brands :)
My budget is around 1200€

Thank you a lot
Love this Forum
Best wishes
Aekre

Welcome to the forum! It's great that you have narrowed down your list. Take a look at Amir's speaker index and look at which on your list have the highest preference scores in your price range and are "recommended" that should give you a short list of speakers that are well engineered and reproduce well. Then go audition that short list in person to see which you like. At that point you know you will have a good well engineered purchase no matter your preference.

Go to the speaker attribute tab. to see a nice graph of speaker preference/price
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/SpeakerTestData/

In terms of speaker tone comments. Use PEQ to adjust your music to taste, not the speakers. The speakers should do the job of faithful reproduction and any tuning should be done by you in DSP/EQ.

OP
Aekre

Aekre

Hello everyone and thanks again for all of your message

In the end i was able to do some test and listening at Audio networx Berlin and i upgrade my budget because i didn´t like monitors like Genelec and Neumann or Adam ( Hedd mk2 are the best at this price range for me)

I am not saying that they are not good but that was not what i was looking for
i was looking for something more clean with a stereo 3d sound
So i ended up with Atc scm, Quested, Dynaudio core, Amphion, and APS Klasik

Thank you @dfuller your message was really helpful and also @FeddyLost
I started to check my favorite artists and i discovered that most of them are using Dynaudio monitors

Anyway i was really impressed with APS klasik 2020,
with artists like Pink Floyd, Autechre and Tim hecker my impression was to have a surround system
Sounds really clear and also the stereo image it´s incredible and bass really accurate.
I can hear details that I was completely ignoring before. They are sold as a macthed pair only so maybe that´s why they have such an incredible stereo image

And they can totally compete with the Brand i listed above and for that price I absolutely had to buy them

For sure i will wait for some extra money because i was really in love with ATC scm, Quested and Dynaudio core
so i will upgrade my Monitors and maybe keep it the APS anyway

Do you have any experience with such a monitors i listed above?

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
ATC SCM25 yep - nice especially in the mids (that dome midrange they use is incredibly good) but not amazing bottom end extension.

I looked at the Core 47s for a second before I got my Barefoots - there isn't much out there about them and I couldn't listen in person anywhere. I've liked most of the Dynaudios I've used in the past though.

Quested I've used like, once. I don't remember much about them. They have a good rep though.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
If you're searching for even better than your original picks, but with an ATC/Quested budget, have you tried the 3-ways from Genelec (8341A, 8351B) and Neumann (KH310)? These should give you the "cleanliness" (way less IMD and more headroom) you're looking for.
ATC and Quest aren't known for their speaker performance, but more for their curated image of British studio monitoring (and good mid dome for ATC).

Top Bottom