• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Converting a Blu-ray/SACD player into a digital DSD transport

zentiques

Looking on eBay, there's a handful of these boards, each with a slightly different design. They should all work, can't be luck of the draw.
That sure is a sweet looking aluminum case, and since it doesn't seem to be doing anything.....
Better idea. Send it here, let's swap it into a working environment to test your board.

Last edited:

TommyK

For anyone looking for SACD DSD -> HDMI -> DAC solution I thought I post info about my modest setup. For SuperAudio CDs I am using pretty plain Sony BluRay player UBP-X700 as a transport to send original DSD via HDMI to quite decent Essence HDACC II 4k for DAC conversion. No messing with custom cards :) I am considering upgrading the transport to Oppo 103. I don't need the 105's superior DAC when using an external DAC hooked via HDMI. I have no complains about the Sony player but it is very basic.

Arvind

For anyone looking for SACD DSD -> HDMI -> DAC solution I thought I post info about my modest setup. For SuperAudio CDs I am using pretty plain Sony BluRay player UBP-X700 as a transport to send original DSD via HDMI to quite decent Essence HDACC II 4k for DAC conversion. No messing with custom cards :) I am considering upgrading the transport to Oppo 103. I don't need the 105's superior DAC when using an external DAC hooked via HDMI. I have no complains about the Sony player but it is very basic.
Who knows if Essence HDACC II 4k is not using one such custom card inside,

TommyK

As far as I know Essence uses HDMI connection and decrypts the DSD. This is not I2S connector with HDMI-like plug. They pay license for HDMI usage/certification which most smaller DAC manufacturers don't want to. In that respect this box acts like a receiver in HT setup.

snake69fast

I am already using this board since last six months, successfully, to send dsd signal of sacd played on my Sony ubpx800M to SabajD5.
I have the Sabaj D5 and also the same Sony ubp-X800M2 but all I can get is PCM up to 176,4k when I play DSD files stored in my NAS. What are your settings?

Wu7wah

Here's the current eBay listing:

It looks like the seller is including a white I2S special cable for use instead of the HDMI over I2S output. Is that the same one some of you have bought?

There are two different versions of this board inside:

Square chip: https://www.aliexpress.com/i/33031920347.html?spm=a219c.12057483.1000001.8.42f2773bp2jU67

Angled chip: https://www.aliexpress.com/i/1005001274719662.html?spm=a219c.12057483.1000001.8.1fd07081rjiHLX

Not sure what the difference is. I will contact the sellers for clarification. From the previous postings here, it is not entirely clear which is the board that works for some of you and not others.

Each has also two versions. One comes without the "HDMI over I2S output"? The boards seem to be cheap enough if anyone is interested in switching.

Also, both have an audio processing mode selection switch. Has anyone tried that?

I am just researching for information for now. I haven't bought anything yet. It will be very good if we can connect the HDMI output from our A/V player to the I2S input of a DAC like the Topping D90.

OP
UCrazyKid

UCrazyKid

The only difference between the versions is the addition of a secondary HDMI output that caries, not an HDMI signal, but the I2S signal. You choose which one based on what your DAC accepts. And in the case of the D90 it is the I2S over HDMI cable.

This:
Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 3.26.01 PM.png

VS This:
Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 3.26.11 PM.png

Wu7wah

Yeah, thanks. I thought that might be. BTW. have you worked with that switch on the upper left? I think there are three settings. You can't see the labels from the photos above. But on another one online, the top position says 5.1 channel, the middle says 2 ch and the bottom says PASS. Not sure what PASS mean.

L Plate

Plug and play DSD
Oppo 93 > Wireworld Silver Starlight > 2nd Gen naked board / printed box (new aluminum case looks sweet)>
generic HDMI 2.2 cable > D90 MQA w/original firmware
No additional 5V needed, instantly recognizes DSD signal
Hi, It appears that we are using the same devices Oppo 93 and D90 MQA dac. I am wondering if you do experience a sharp buzzing sound each time you play your SACD? This particular sound only appears right at the start of the 1st track. I noticed that the D90 dac panel does not display the resolution (Mhz) however by default it is always showing PCM. Once the D90 detects a DSD signal, I noticed that the front panel turns fuzzy in split nanosecond and the resolution displayed as 2.82Mhz and DSD logo is also displayed. But this is where the sharp buzzing sound is heard. I do not get the buzzing sound if I play red book cd or Blu Ray or DVD Audio. I supposed all these formats are PCM which is why there is no buzzing sound. Can you enlighten me on that? Thanks.

Wu7wah

Hi, It appears that we are using the same devices Oppo 93 and D90 MQA dac. I am wondering if you do experience a sharp buzzing sound each time you play your SACD? This particular sound only appears right at the start of the 1st track. I noticed that the D90 dac panel does not display the resolution (Mhz) however by default it is always showing PCM. Once the D90 detects a DSD signal, I noticed that the front panel turns fuzzy in split nanosecond and the resolution displayed as 2.82Mhz and DSD logo is also displayed. But this is where the sharp buzzing sound is heard. I do not get the buzzing sound if I play red book cd or Blu Ray or DVD Audio. I supposed all these formats are PCM which is why there is no buzzing sound. Can you enlighten me on that? Thanks.

I gather you are connecting the Oppo 93 to the D90 MQA via an I2S over HDMI card, yes?

raykkho

Forum Donor
I'm using similar product and can now successfully play SACD using a Sony BDP -S590 Blu-ray player via coaxial DoP.

L Plate

I gather you are connecting the Oppo 93 to the D90 MQA via an I2S over HDMI card, yes?
Just to make sure I understood your question. The gadget has an I2s HDMI output which is connected to the D90 MQA I2S HDMI input. My Oppo 93 has 2 HDMI outputs. Any output will do. It's connected to the gadget HDMI input and the HDMI output is connected to my TV so that I can see the SACD details like album, song titles, etc.
Edit: I wrote an email to Topping in China regarding the issue. They think the gadget is not compatible however I cannot be sure until someone on this forum who uses similar devices can share it with us. I believe that the CPLD chip is faulty. The PCM/DSD "depop" switch is faulty or not capable of switching quick enough which is why I said in my previous comment that the D90 panel went fuzzy for split nanosecond trying to output in DSD. Like I have said, the D90 is always displaying PCM by default and the resolution is blank until it detects a DSD signal, the panel went fuzzy and display DSD and the resolution is shown as 2.82Mhz. But at that point in time, the buzzing sound is heard at the very beginning of the 1st track. At the end of the last track sometimes I can hear a buzzing sound but not always.
Using the same gadget, I play SACD via coaxial or optical. I have no issue whatsoever however the panel will display PCM at 88.2Khz only.

Last edited:

L Plate

I'm using similar product and can now successfully play SACD using a Sony BDP -S590 Blu-ray player via coaxial DoP.
I have been using Audio Extractor gadget for years playing SACD via coaxial and optical connections. But this method can only play PCM up to 88.2khz. Ever since the arrival of HDMI IIS gadget I can play SACD DSD which is up to 2.82Mhz.

Wu7wah

Just to make sure I understood your question. The gadget has an I2s HDMI output which is connected to the D90 MQA I2S HDMI input. My Oppo 93 has 2 HDMI outputs. Any output will do. It's connected to the gadget HDMI input and the HDMI output is connected to my TV so that I can see the SACD details like album, song titles, etc.
Edit: I wrote an email to Topping in China regarding the issue. They think the gadget is not compatible however I cannot be sure until someone on this forum who uses similar devices can share it with us. I believe that the CPLD chip is faulty. The PCM/DSD "depop" switch is faulty or not capable of switching quick enough which is why I said in my previous comment that the D90 panel went fuzzy for split nanosecond trying to output in DSD. Like I have said, the D90 is always displaying PCM by default and the resolution is blank until it detects a DSD signal, the panel went fuzzy and display DSD and the resolution is shown as 2.82Mhz. But at that point in time, the buzzing sound is heard at the very beginning of the 1st track. At the end of the last track sometimes I can hear a buzzing sound but not always.
Using the same gadget, I play SACD via coaxial or optical. I have no issue whatsoever however the panel will display PCM at 88.2Khz only.

I ordered the gadget from Aliexpress and it is still stuck in Canada Post. Has been since Boxing Day. Don't really know why. I am hoping delivery soon so that I can hook it up and let you know if I have a similar problem. But my source is a Yamaha DVD-S2700, not an Oppo. The D90 has several I2S settings. Do you have to play with those?

I have hooked up the S2700 to the D90 via a coaxial cable. It will only play Red-book CDs through the coaxial. SACDs won't play through at all.

L Plate

I ordered the gadget from Aliexpress and it is still stuck in Canada Post. Has been since Boxing Day. Don't really know why. I am hoping delivery soon so that I can hook it up and let you know if I have a similar problem. But my source is a Yamaha DVD-S2700, not an Oppo. The D90 has several I2S settings. Do you have to play with those?

I have hooked up the S2700 to the D90 via a coaxial cable. It will only play Red-book CDs through the coaxial. SACDs won't play through at all.
I waited mine for just over a month. The delay is at the destination not Aliexpress.

"The D90 has several I2S settings. Do you have to play with those?" - You do NOT have to set anything. Leave it as default. It plays as normal.

"I have hooked up the S2700 to the D90 via a coaxial cable. It will only play Red-book CDs through the coaxial. SACDs won't play through at all." - If you hooked up directly from your source to D90 via coaxial or optical, it will only play PCM at 44.1Khz. Before I bought the IIS HDMI gadget, I was playing SACD with HDMI Audio Extractor which output PCM at 88.2Khz. (Note: Don't forget to set your S2700 settings. I don't own S2700 so I do not know what is required to set before playing DSD output).

With the new gadget I2S HDMI, you can still play SACD via coaxial/optical however at 88.2Khz only. I would recommend using HDMI I2S cable as it will still play DVD Audio and Blu Ray Audio at PCM mode with resolution ranging from 88.2Khz to 192Khz. Hence, you can do away with coaxial/optical cables. You don't need to spend too much money on expensive I2S Hdmi cable. I don't hear any difference but that's my ears anyway. A normal generic cable is suffice.

raykkho

Forum Donor
I waited mine for just over a month. The delay is at the destination not Aliexpress.

"The D90 has several I2S settings. Do you have to play with those?" - You do NOT have to set anything. Leave it as default. It plays as normal.

"I have hooked up the S2700 to the D90 via a coaxial cable. It will only play Red-book CDs through the coaxial. SACDs won't play through at all." - If you hooked up directly from your source to D90 via coaxial or optical, it will only play PCM at 44.1Khz. Before I bought the IIS HDMI gadget, I was playing SACD with HDMI Audio Extractor which output PCM at 88.2Khz. (Note: Don't forget to set your S2700 settings. I don't own S2700 so I do not know what is required to set before playing DSD output).

With the new gadget I2S HDMI, you can still play SACD via coaxial/optical however at 88.2Khz only. I would recommend using HDMI I2S cable as it will still play DVD Audio and Blu Ray Audio at PCM mode with resolution ranging from 88.2Khz to 192Khz. Hence, you can do away with coaxial/optical cables. You don't need to spend too much money on expensive I2S Hdmi cable. I don't hear any difference but that's my ears anyway. A normal generic cable is suffice.
Sorry, when you said "With the new gadget I2S HDMI, you can still play SACD via coaxial/optical however at 88.2Khz only.", did you mean in your setup? With coaxial DoP from this gadget, I'm getting RAW DSD to my DAC with no problem. However, this is my second unit, my first unit had issue and was returned.

L Plate

Sorry, when you said "With the new gadget I2S HDMI, you can still play SACD via coaxial/optical however at 88.2Khz only.", did you mean in your setup? With coaxial DoP from this gadget, I'm getting RAW DSD to my DAC with no problem. However, this is my second unit, my first unit had issue and was returned.
Yes, in my setup and I believe it applies to all. Ok, you owned a Sony player which may explain why you are able to get "RAW DSD" (that is PCM mode). But for Oppo 93 I need a HDMI Audio Extractor to play SACD in PCM mode until I bought I2S HDMI gadget which is better and does everything.

raykkho

Forum Donor
Yes, in my setup and I believe it applies to all. Ok, you owned a Sony player which may explain why you are able to get "RAW DSD" (that is PCM mode). But for Oppo 93 I need a HDMI Audio Extractor to play SACD in PCM mode until I bought I2S HDMI gadget which is better and does everything.
That's good. I'm just very glad I can now choose not to rip, although I do, my SACD, and can just pop a disc into the Blu-ray player and hear it's full resolution through my DAC.

raykkho

Forum Donor
As there's no standard I2S termination/pin assignment, connecting between two components from different brands with I2S can be tricky.

Top Bottom