• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ifi Zen DAC and Headphone Amp Review

Haze

Here are the things I have learned about the Zen Can via RMAA and listening. In a genius move from ifi the Zen Can grounds itself via it's RCA ports meaning you always have to have them plugged into something, preferably the source. Connecting the Zen Dac via a balanced cable causes distortion at very high volumes.

Once you get it set up right it does sound great but man this thing is finicky

LaL

Here are the things I have learned about the Zen Can via RMAA and listening. In a genius move from ifi the Zen Can grounds itself via it's RCA ports meaning you always have to have them plugged into something, preferably the source. Connecting the Zen Dac via a balanced cable causes distortion at very high volumes.

Once you get it set up right it does sound great but man this thing is finicky
Do you still have the ground loop - if you have all equipment on just one socket/power outlet - with extension chord ?

Haze

Do you still have the ground loop - if you have all equipment on just one socket/power outlet - with extension chord ?

Yep all on the same strip. Only plugging in the RCA's helped. Oh, and plugging in the 3.5mm made no difference.

A1300

Actually using multiple inputs makes it cleaner. Problem happens when it's only connected with 4.4mm balanced cable. If i change the input with the button (1: rca, 2: 3.5mm 3: 4.4bal) i can still hear the music but i shouldn't since i'm using only bal cable.

So there are 2 problems.
1- Ground loop with balanced cable which shouldn't happen because it's balanced. RCA is completely clean.
2- Sound leak to the other input modes. Amp switched to RCA input mode while having no RCA cable connected(only 4.4 connected) i can still hear the faint music.

Did you ever figure this out? I’m having the identical issue right now with my Zen Can.

Haze

Yeah I just checked and I have the same issue. Both the balanced and RCA inputs leak into the other inputs. I have to have it at the highest gain to hear it. That very disappointing. Frankly it would be disappointing on something you picked up for €30.

Edit: Nevermind my Atom does the same thing on high gain max volume. I guess nothing is perfect.

Last edited:

TheGM

I thought the issue with the Zen-Dac on ASR is how it measures, I never saw the complaints about build quality or reliability. I've used mine on a number of different Desktops,Laptops,phones over the last year and never had this issue.

I know this becomes a 'religious' argument here, measurement vs perception. I have used and own some very expensive DACs, but for a small system in my office I have been extremely pleased by the audio I get from Tidal on a PC via USB out to an Ifi Zen DAC, then out to a small 6-watt/channel single-ended tube amplifier to Monitor Audio Silvers. And yes, I use the MQA function (HORRORS!) sometimes as well. Amazingly satisfying audio and a low noise floor. Admittedly, a small Linear PS for the Zen DAC and Class 2 USB drivers helps.

Haze

The grounding issues with my Zen Can have magically fixed themselves. I can now run the Zen stack balanced without the RCA plugged in without issue. I have no idea why.

Veri

Master Contributor
Admittedly, a small Linear PS for the Zen DAC and Class 2 USB drivers helps.

LPS and drivers will not change the sound though. The driverless UAC2 ones are written by the same guys signing and customising the branded ones. Unless you want ultra high kHz support there's really no difference.
About linear supplies.. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...o-you-need-linear-power-supply-for-dacs.7021/

The grounding issues with my Zen Can have magically fixed themselves. I can now run the Zen stack balanced without the RCA plugged in without issue. I have no idea why.
:oops:

Haze

Right. Today I plugged my zen stack into a laptop running on battery power and did an RMAA test with any loop back grounding issues completely taken out of the picture. The results are attached. Not bad at all (basically limited by the line-in on my pc by the look if it) but I still don't understand the below average crosstalk. Is it a Class A thing?

Attachments

• zen stack.PNG
    zen stack.PNG
    10.4 KB · Views: 192

Veri

Master Contributor
It's worth a try but in my experience you're basically harming overall fidelity using such last resorts. Ideally the iFi wouldn't hum in the first place... :/

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Right. Today I plugged my zen stack into a laptop running on battery power and did an RMAA test with any loop back grounding issues completely taken out of the picture. The results are attached. Not bad at all (basically limited by the line-in on my pc by the look if it) but I still don't understand the below average crosstalk. Is it a Class A thing?
Battery will of course take care of ground loop issue.
In terms of class A. It's not pure class A first of all. Then the crosstalk is probably limited in the set up then also this kind of performance isn't surprising.

markie900

I've been looking at the IFi Zen DAC. Primary objective is to use it as a desktop amp but I'd also like to have the possibility to use it as a pre-amp/DAC combo for my HiFi rig. I'm currently using a NAD C275BEE power amplifier with my passive loudspeakers.

Would it be possible to connect the RCA out on the Zen directly to the RCA in on the power amp with nothing else in the signal chain?

I'd like to test the difference between my now outdated pre-amp and compare it to the Zen with it's built in DAC.

Veri

Master Contributor
I've been looking at the IFi Zen DAC. Primary objective is to use it as a desktop amp but I'd also like to have the possibility to use it as a pre-amp/DAC combo for my HiFi rig. I'm currently using a NAD C275BEE power amplifier with my passive loudspeakers.

Would it be possible to connect the RCA out on the Zen directly to the RCA in on the power amp with nothing else in the signal chain?

I'd like to test the difference between my now outdated pre-amp and compare it to the Zen with it's built in DAC.
It should work but many are having ground hum issues with the Zen stuff from iFi :/ be sure to buy somewhere with a return policy.

pk500

Also, there is something that still puzzles me: is there really a DAC inside the Apple dongle? And Apple did manage to manufacture something apparently that good, for less than $10???

Yes. My old ears couldn't tell a damn bit of difference between the $9 Apple Lightning dongle and the $99 DragonFly Black when I tested both in December 2019.

Just look at Amir's measurements: Apple put a scary amount of good tech into a dongle that costs $9. I think it was a peace offering after customers were pissed the headphone jack was eliminated starting with the iPhone 7.

Veri

Master Contributor
Just look at Amir's measurements: Apple put a scary amount of good tech into a dongle that costs $9.
Yeah. Apple did good partnering with Wolfson/Cirrus Logic.

Haze

I got on to ifi support. Apparently the -59db crosstalk on the Zen Can is deliberate. Not a bug. So, quick question is that crosstalk bad enough to mess up binaural audio in games like Hunt Showdown or am I imagining it?

Top Bottom