• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

elmn8r

Hi all. I ordered a 4ch NC502 and 4ch NC252 both in 17" cases from Buckeye a few weeks back. I mentioned earlier in the thread that I intended to rack mount them and was ask to document what I did to do that. So....

Let me start by saying I'm not great at documenting a process and even worse at taking pictures. And, I'm more of a shade tree mechanic than I am an engineer or machinist. I wasn't looking for perfection and I'm not looking to enter my solution in a beauty contest. With that being said...

This was done with basic hand tools with maybe the exception of a tool & die set to tap the holes for the machine screws and a drill press. The drill press will make your life easier but isn't required.

First, I have my equipment mounted in a communications equipment rack in a closet. From inside vertical rail to inside vertical rail is about 17 1/4", thus I asked for the 17" case. You need to check the dimensions of your rack and adjust accordingly.

The material I used to make the rack rails is 1/8"x3"x3ft weldable flat steel stock from a big box store. These are about $15ea.

Here is a pic of the ident sticker on the one I used.
IMG_1558.jpg

I went to a machine/fabrication shop and had them bend both ends of the stock 90 degrees with 7/8" inside measurement. That means from the end of the stock to the 90 degree bend on the inside of the bend is 7/8". This will make the "ears"of the rail. Cost me $15 to have two pieces bent(remember I'm doing two amps).

Here's a pic of the rail with the cut lines marked(black lines) along with some tools I used to get there. I removed one side of the amp case(the black piece lying above the steel rail) to use for measuring. I simply placed it up against the inside of the bend and marked the other end of the case side piece then used the square to make a straight line. I used a reciprocating saw with a metal cutting blade to cut the pieces at my black lines. You could also have the same machine/fabrication shop cut them for you.

IMG_1528.jpg

A word about these cases. The two side pieces are essentially what holds the entire thing together. Thus, I would not recommend removing both end pieces at the same time. And of course you shouldn't be drilling into any parts of the case with it still together. We don't want metal shavings mixed up with our electrical equipment.

I decided to use 5 screws in the side rail to secure it to the case side. The side pieces are exactly 12" long so I put one screw dead middle and 2 each 2" in from the end of the piece. I used #8-32 x 3/4" machine screws, thus I used a #8-32 tap and appropriate drill bit for this tap to drill and tap the five holes in the both pieces. I used a vice grip clamp to clamp the two pieces together and drilled/tapped them at the same time.

Here's a finished view of one of the sides.

IMG_1556.jpg

There has been concern about the bottom of the case "sagging" if it were rack mounted. The steel gauge of the top and bottom is pretty lite and would indeed sag just a tad. There is a foot placed in the middle of the bottom case plate so when sitting on a shelf, this isn't an issue.

The way the sides of the case "attach" to the top and bottom plates is a press fit between a lip that is machined into the side. The inside of the lip is roughly 1/2" so I decided to use that to drill and tap two screws on each side to the bottom of the case to positively attach the side plate to the bottom. This won't prevent the sag, but it will prevent the bottom from sagging and slipping out of the press fit sides and falling.

To my eye, the sag is minimal and I'm not worried about it now that I have the sides attached to the bottom plate.

Here's a few pics of it...
IMG_1543.jpg

IMG_1544 (1).jpg

IMG_1553 (1).jpg

As far has the holes in the "ears", I used an ear from another piece of my equipment to mark the hole location. I only drilled one hole because I wanted to verify proper spacing and location in the rack before drilling the second one on each side. The location where this is going is my second home and most of my shop tools are at my primary home. I'll be test fitting it later this week.

Here's a pic of the other side(from above pic). I still have to disassemble one more time to drill said second holes on the ears and paint the rails.

IMG_1556.jpg

Listening impressions yet to come...

Attachments

• IMG_1544.jpg
    IMG_1544.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1553.jpg
    IMG_1553.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1557.jpg
    IMG_1557.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1553.jpg
    IMG_1553.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1556.jpg
    IMG_1556.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

TomekNet

Wouldn't 19" case fit a standard 19" rack?

Dundas

Forum Donor
Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Wouldn't 19" case fit a standard 19" rack?

No, 19" is the diameter to the outside edges of the mounting bars. The distance between the inner edges of the mounting rails is 17.5" or 17.75" (I forget but it is around there) so that sets the maximum width of something you can slide in (or out) from the front. Some chassis are wider and must be mounted from the rear, often using special racks with open or wider backs, but I hate those. ;)

There are EIA/IEC standard dimensions, here is a Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/19-inch_rack

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, that's the Purifi demo amp that Amir reviewed:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...easurements-of-purifi-1et400a-amplifier.7984/
If you compare the 2nd and 3rd photo in the review you'll see that the speaker jacks are different. The 3rd photo is from the Purifi user guide.
Personally if I buy a Purify Eval 1 based amp I will happily just use the standard jacks. I rarely, if ever, change speaker wires.
I really love the cases of those demo amps. Too bad the units are not for sale. Maybe Bruno will divulge who the case maker is if we ask nice;y. ;)

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually, found the CAD file attached to @Matias post below. Cool!

I do have some exciting news about cases for Purifi DIY build.

I have asked for the CAD drawing of the Modu shop GX288 case and sent it to Purifi. They are helping me adapt the necessary holes of the EVAL1 into the CAD drawing. When I get it I will send it back to Modu shop. After that, anyone can order a GX288 case from Modu shop and ask for it and it will be EVAL1 ready!
https://modushop.biz/site/index.php?route=product/product&path=25_291_293&product_id=444

Attached is the original CAD file that the Purifi team used for their demo unit, which is of very similar size to GX288 (photo by @Doug Schneider 's SoundStage! Network, they are going to release their Purifi review was released on June 1st).

Notice that the demo unit also has speakon holes on the chassis. Purifi said they would send both files, with and without speakon holes, so that the Modu shop customer can choose.

Stay tuned. :)

View attachment 65911

TomekNet

No, 19" is the diameter to the outside edges of the mounting bars. The distance between the inner edges of the mounting rails is 17.5" or 17.75" (I forget but it is around there) so that sets the maximum width of something you can slide in (or out) from the front. Some chassis are wider and must be mounted from the rear, often using special racks with open or wider backs, but I hate those. ;)

There are EIA/IEC standard dimensions, here is a Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/19-inch_rack

Thanks for this info!

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
With some more capital and steady orders, I am contemplating adding a dedicated rackmount case. The company I use can build them and they would have all of the same cutouts, options, etc as my current cases but be an official 19" rack mount case (front plate with rack mount screws, proper bracing so no sag, etc). However this case would add ~$100 to the total cost of an order, regardless of channel count.

Would this be an option some would want that have otherwise been on the fence or ruling out my offerings for consideration due to no rack option?

PNWer

With some more capital and steady orders, I am contemplating adding a dedicated rackmount case. The company I use can build them and they would have all of the same cutouts, options, etc as my current cases but be an official 19" rack mount case (front plate with rack mount screws, proper bracing so no sag, etc). However this case would add ~$100 to the total cost of an order, regardless of channel count.

Would this be an option some would want that have otherwise been on the fence or ruling out my offerings for consideration due to no rack option?

I for one would like to switch my current order to the one with 19" rack mount case.

Does anybody know the length of the Ghent Audio NC502MP case with an XLR cable plugged into the back? I'm trying to fit an amp on a shelf that is 14.25 inches deep with a glass front. Deciding between the Ghent option and the 12x12 Buckeye option.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I'd be interested in this (4x252), please work up specific pricing?
Not super critical for me as mine would fit in the very bottom of the rack, but this would keep it from moving around....:)
Thanks!!

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
I'd be interested in this (4x252), please work up specific pricing?
Not super critical for me as mine would fit in the very bottom of the rack, but this would keep it from moving around....:)
Thanks!!

pricing is on the 1st page, and add $100 for rack mount option.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Yea just add $100 to any price listed on the first page and that is what the preliminary pricing looks to be for the rack mount case.

I won't have an official per case cost until I finish importing my CAD design for cutouts and such. But it shouldn't change too much. Maybe $125 at absolute worst

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
And remember this will be a one size fits all case, meaning I can do as little as 2 channels or as many as 6/8 channels.

But even for a 2 channel setup the flat cost will still be the same for the rack mount case.

elmn8r

Now you tell me.... ;)

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Now you tell me.... ;)
I apologize. I literally did not have this idea on a back burner of any sort. I was in the designer software the other day looking at the cost of switching from aluminum to Cold Rolled Steel for my cases (in order to bolster the support/rigidity of the top panel since I can't make it thicker) and found myself playing with their Rack Mount case design file. And after seeing the work it took for you to adapt my case (which is robust and looks good to me for being put into a rack), I figured I'd ballpark a case if I did an order of 10 at a time and it was only $100 more. Once I add the cutouts to the file it might go up another $20 or so.

Top Bottom