• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30Pro Review (Balanced DAC)

sam_adams

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Topping D30Pro Review USB Balanced DAC preamp.jpg

Tks

Major Contributor
I'm wondering if Topping will also make a comparable little DAC with ESS chipset?

BTW, who downvoted his video!

They already did

DX7 Pro

Just one actually considerable flaw, is the output impedance is a no-go for many, especially IEM users. Otherwise, that device is perfect (barring the few reports of encoder skipping failures I suppose).

A refresh of that device would be sick. (Or perhaps a re-imagining)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

TheTalbotHound

Forum Donor
Also the beauty of our new product is that we can add another filter if we want to. Everything in the machine can be upgraded (except for hardware of course).

You considered adding a really sharp (linear phase) brick wall filter sort of like the chord ones? Or would that be hard to do within the limitations of the chip?

TheTalbotHound

Forum Donor
Like ESS's brickwall filter yes. Chord no. There's considerable draw back using such filter.

Yeah i have heard chord filters have quite a bit of a delay, sort of like Sinc-M on HQplayer i guess, definitely not all purpose filters, would not be good for movies and stuff.

TheTalbotHound

Forum Donor
but yeah 110db attenuation with as sharp a cutoff as you can reasonably get at 22.05k would be an amazing filter to have.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
but yeah 110db attenuation with as sharp a cutoff as you can reasonably get at 22.05k would be an amazing filter to have.
That also depends on which chord you are talking about. The hugo one has sharp edge at 20khz but relaxed afterwards. I think that's their way to avoid digital clipping. And such filter shouldn't measure very good in multitone . I think hugo2 and quest dropped such filter and adopted more regular filters.
If you read through my explanation somewhere earlier you'd know the filter adopted in current DACs are probably most ideal in real world sense with least trade off.

Labjr

Major Contributor
I've always thought Cirrus was a 2nd tier DAC chip.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Excellent job with D30Pro, congratulations ! Topping will build an ADC (analogue/digital converter) sometime ?

PeteL

Major Contributor
They acquired Wolfson, so surely they have enough IP and building blocks to produce performance. Me I am curious why we don't see many DACs measured here using wm 874x Flagships. They are quite up there i term of pricing with the ess 9038 and the akm 4499, but seam much less common as the chip of choice for TOTL dacs

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No. There will only be some imaging 20k-22khz from the leakage from 22-24khz. So no issue whatsoever. ..snip..
Thank you for this explanation! I feel relaxed now, although...

Also I can say that anyone who has strong opinion on this matter doesn't know his stuff
...I thought you really knew your stuff there for a second. :p:D

Last edited:

3125b

Major Contributor
Well, Topping is using four DAC chips here if I'm not mistaken. Having more channels in parallel allows for better performance, same thing okto does with their stereo vs. their 8-channel DAC for example.
Cirrus Logic, just like ESS, does not have its own fab. AKM did until it burned down a couple month ago.

Top Bottom